A cautionary tale about Craigslist

Strangefox

"You hate to tell people to be wary of your fellow citizens, but the reality is you've got to be wary when you are doing something when interacting with strangers on Craigslist," prosecutor Lindquist said.

So what are the alternatives? What are the safest ways to looks for an apartment? Ok, I know that the safest way is through your friends :) - but what if you don't have such an opportunity?

Edited by Strangefox

I've heard that e-mailing the department and asking them if any of their grad students are looking for roommates/know anyone who is looking for a roommate. It seems a little bit haphazard, but certainly keeps the search out of the realm of axe murderers, or, given the 7 degrees of separation thing, at least out of the realm of bots and e-identity theft.

Do you know anyone in the city to which you're headed? The same process could be used with them...or with anyone from the area on TGC you've interacted with to some extent (it's still Internet, but it's also not a magnet for scammers, I would imagine).

I'm also having this problem, but I haven't decided for sure on a school yet, so I can't take steps to solve it yet.

I've heard that e-mailing the department and asking them if any of their grad students are looking for roommates/know anyone who is looking for a roommate. It seems a little bit haphazard, but certainly keeps the search out of the realm of axe murderers, or, given the 7 degrees of separation thing, at least out of the realm of bots and e-identity theft.

Do you know anyone in the city to which you're headed? The same process could be used with them...or with anyone from the area on TGC you've interacted with to some extent (it's still Internet, but it's also not a magnet for scammers, I would imagine).

I'm also having this problem, but I haven't decided for sure on a school yet, so I can't take steps to solve it yet.

Thanks, Awvish!

Your advice is great. I have certainly been thinking about contacting my department of a grad school office (living with grad students from other departments from my school is also an option).

I am lucky to know some people in the city I am going to. And I know some other people who may also know some people in this city. So, theoretically, my chances of renting an apartment from somebody I know are high. But I have been also thinking that Craigslist is another option (once I come to the city and am able to visit apartments advertised there to see them for myself). Now I am not so sure... A lot of people on these boards mentioned Craigslist and even recommended it (used with caution). But I don't know... These stories do not look nice.

By the way, what is TGC?

"You hate to tell people to be wary of your fellow citizens, but the reality is you've got to be wary when you are doing something when interacting with strangers on Craigslist," prosecutor Lindquist said.

So what are the alternatives? What are the safest ways to looks for an apartment? Ok, I know that the safest way is through your friends :) - but what if you don't have such an opportunity?

Have you tried hotpads.com?

If you're using craigslist, you should check out padmapper.com. It combines craigslist ads with Google maps, and it is amazing. You can even filter down the results so it shows only what you're looking for. Saves you from wasting time scouring through dozens of craigslist ads.

Thanks!

Um, if you exercise common sense, and always be extra, extra careful, it's pretty hard to get screwed via craigslist. I'm an international student and have used craigslist safely 3 times. All my apartments + landlords turned out great. I was only able to meet with the landlord beforehand once. The other times I tried to talk on the phone extensively, emailed, used some safety measures (only sent a small amount of deposit, or no deposit at all, etc.). If you know people in that city, even better - just ask them to go meet the landlord and take a look of the place for you. One time I replied to an ad which turned out to be one of those infamous "Nigerian scams", and even though they tried pretty hard to sound legit, I only needed 2 emails to confirm that they were bs (one email is enough but 2 is to make sure you're not being overly cautious). I was surprised to know that people HAVE fallen for these scams before because it was just too...easy to tell (it was really quite hilarious because the harder they tried, the more they sounded like idiots, if you want pm me I can copy-paste their emails to show you how these scams look like). So, seriously, there are legit landlords on craigslist, it is your responsibility to make sure that you're conducting business with one.

Good luck!

Edited by nhyn

One time I replied to an ad which turned out to be one of those infamous "Nigerian scams", and even though they tried pretty hard to sound legit, I only needed 2 emails to confirm that they were bs (one email is enough but 2 is to make sure you're not being overly cautious). I was surprised to know that people HAVE fallen for these scams before because it was just too...easy to tell (it was really quite hilarious because the harder they tried, the more they sounded like idiots, if you want pm me I can copy-paste their emails to show you how these scams look like).

Very interesting info! I'll PM you.

Well, regarding this actual article, I would never sell something worth much money on Craigslist. As for apartment hunting? I've used it several times and never had a problem. If you're especially nervous, it's a good idea to bring a friend, sibling, or parent along. It's good to have an extra set of eyes when apartment hunting anyway.

I've found my last three apartments through craigslist and am currently addicting to searching for GradSchoolVille apartments via craigslist. I think it's a good idea to bring someone with you, or at the very least, make sure that someone has the addresses that you're visiting and call them between appointments. I've never sold goods over craigslist - or bought goods - but I would be very leery of anything that was expensive or valuable. (Or cloth, if you're moving to a city with bedbugs!)

Well, regarding this actual article, I would never sell something worth much money on Craigslist. As for apartment hunting? I've used it several times and never had a problem. If you're especially nervous, it's a good idea to bring a friend, sibling, or parent along. It's good to have an extra set of eyes when apartment hunting anyway.

FWIW: one of my peers here landed a place on Craigslist (room in a shared house) from afar. She was driving out here, expecting to arrive at the new digs just a day or so before school started. She got there late at night and was greeted by the owners, who led her into the home...which was FILTHY. As in, the dogs had not been housebroken and went everywhere. There was no obvious dog stuff in the room designated as hers, but it stunk to high heaven.

She turned around and walked out of the house and never went back. Luckily she'd made friends with some grads over visit weekend, so she crashed on someone's couch.

Needless to say, since hearing this story I have not been all that interested in doing long-distance house searches. :-)

I have bought and sold on Craigslist, no problem. The scammers aren't too hard to pick out. (If you want to get 10 Nigerian scammers emailing you in less than 10 minutes, try posting an ad offering tutoring services. I used to advertise on Craigslist all the time, and got tons of scammers--maybe a dozen for each legitimate reply--emailing me to say they wanted me to tutor their high school student who was living by him/herself in the US; they would be happy to pay me a month in advance if I just gave them my bank account number.)

I have bought and sold on Craigslist, no problem. The scammers aren't too hard to pick out. (If you want to get 10 Nigerian scammers emailing you in less than 10 minutes, try posting an ad offering tutoring services. I used to advertise on Craigslist all the time, and got tons of scammers--maybe a dozen for each legitimate reply--emailing me to say they wanted me to tutor their high school student who was living by him/herself in the US; they would be happy to pay me a month in advance if I just gave them my bank account number.)

Thanks!!

There is so much to learn about Craigslist...

I will not be renting an apartment from afar, that's for sure. I will go there and look with my own eyes at what is going on there. And I am not going to pay any money before I see a landlord and a place.

I hope more people will share their stories about things you should and should not do when renting an apartment.

Thanks!!

There is so much to learn about Craigslist...

I will not be renting an apartment from afar, that's for sure. I will go there and look with my own eyes at what is going on there. And I am not going to pay any money before I see a landlord and a place.

I hope more people will share their stories about things you should and should not do when renting an apartment.

Happy to help first time renters. I have more experience than I wish I did!

You can get an idea of apartments in the area using Craigslist. I would just get the names and try to find their own websites (sometimes that can be hard because they can be through the larger rental agency and a quick Google won't do the trick). Otherwise try rent.com. You can sometimes find reviews, though they are usually just written by those that are pissed off.

If you want to try finding just a room, sublet, whatever, try to get as many details as possible from an email/phone call. Do ask if the place is clean, if there's a shared kitchen/bathroom/laundry, and if they have pets. Just be thorough, like any apartment. Ask if they have a contract, and if not, you write one. I wouldn't live anywhere other than my parents' without having a contract.

If you can spare the fee, first rent with a shorter lease so you can have an easy out if the place isn't right for you. That'll give you time to settle in but keeping looking around.

You can get an idea of apartments in the area using Craigslist. I would just get the names and try to find their own websites (sometimes that can be hard because they can be through the larger rental agency and a quick Google won't do the trick). Otherwise try rent.com. You can sometimes find reviews, though they are usually just written by those that are pissed off.

If you want to try finding just a room, sublet, whatever, try to get as many details as possible from an email/phone call. Do ask if the place is clean, if there's a shared kitchen/bathroom/laundry, and if they have pets. Just be thorough, like any apartment. Ask if they have a contract, and if not, you write one. I wouldn't live anywhere other than my parents' without having a contract.

If you can spare the fee, first rent with a shorter lease so you can have an easy out if the place isn't right for you. That'll give you time to settle in but keeping looking around.

Thanks!

And how do I write a contract? How do I make it legal?

So it possible to rent for a shorter term (as you mention in the last paragraph of your reply)? Is it always possible or only with some landlords? I've read that they usually ask you for a one-year contract.

Thanks!

So it possible to rent for a shorter term (as you mention in the last paragraph of your reply)? Is it always possible or only with some landlords? I've read that they usually ask you for a one-year contract.

Most leases are one year, but occasionally you can find shorter ones if you do some work; or you may be able to get a landlord to agree to one. I'm not sure what the previous poster meant but contract, but i'm thinking lease. Yes, even if you move in with roommates to fill a person's spot that is leaving, you want a signed lease. Also, make sure to check out tenant-landlord laws in the state you'll be moving to. You'd be surprised how many rights tenants have regarding things like heat, standard of repair, and when deposits need to be returned. Never let a landlord or roommate take advantage of you!

Also, make sure to check out tenant-landlord laws in the state you'll be moving to. You'd be surprised how many rights tenants have regarding things like heat, standard of repair, and when deposits need to be returned. Never let a landlord or roommate take advantage of you!

What a great idea! Thanks a lot!!

One thing I did here was to run my own ad as a renter. I mentioned my daily habits, excellent credit, long history of successful roomies, personality, hobbies, cat, and a pic of me hiking outside. I mentioned a very clear, short list of "must-haves" in a potential situation (FAST internet, female roomie, own bedroom, and zero drama). I got a lot of positive responses, esp. to the mention that I was a teacher...something about that word make people immediately trusting and wanting to help you out. :) Several responses came from folks not yet ready to run their own ad for their place, but saw mine and jumped on it. Also, you can kind of name your ballpark price in the subject heading. If your price is at all reasonable or "market" (I used $450 for Charlotte), you will stand out above 95% of the other "looking for a place" ads on craigslist, and certainly sound more responsible/desirable as a roomie than all the other ads of "O HAI can I crash at ur place 2night?" and "Family needs home for $300 any good semeritans out there?" I plan to run my own ad again in LA to supplement my search.

Oh, I think I would like to have a roommate (and to pay less rent!), but I would be afraid to live with somebody who is not a friend of a friend, who is just somebody I found through an internet site...

I guess my main concern is that: you wrote that you met a person before you moved in with her (and/or talked with her extensively on the phone) and she looked nice. But I don't believe that you can really learn enough about a person just by seeing this person once and/or talking with them once, even extensively. They can smile and be nice and seem intelligent but who knows what they can turn out to be (a monster-maniac, thinks paranoid me :blink: )!!!!

Edited by Strangefox

Thanks!

You can find some outlines online (for contract, lease, etc, I guess I used them interchangeably). Any apartment complex would already have this, I was thinking for a sublease or renting a room in someone's house. However, they're probably more legit if they already have one and have done this in the past. AFAIK, signed documentation of an agreement is legal in court (you really just want to cover your butt if there are disputes).

Also AFAIK, many apartments offer short-term leases, it's just more expensive per month. So if you see an offer of $499/month, expect another $50-100 on top of that for a shorter lease. They just want to advertise their lowest price.

Oh, I think I would like to have a roommate (and to pay less rent!), but I would be afraid to live with somebody who is not a friend of a friend, who is just somebody I found through an internet site...

I guess my main concern is that: you wrote that you met a person before you moved in with her (and/or talked with her extensively on the phone) and she looked nice. But I don't believe that you can really learn enough about a person just by seeing this person once and/or talking with them once, even extensively. They can smile and be nice and seem intelligent but who knows what they can turn out to be (a monster-maniac, thinks paranoid me :blink: )!!!!

i've had some not so great roommate experiences, but look at it this way (well except the complete maniac part! ha!): you'll have your own room, and you're a grad student, so you can spend half your life in the library, and the other half in your room and hardly ever seen each other. it's not ideal, but it's not forever, and maybe after the first year you'll meet some other students interested in getting an apartment together.

Re: Roommates. You just never know. Even if it's a friend of a friend, you will have no way of knowing if your roomie "chemistry" is right. When I was a freshman in college, my roommate was a girl I'd known all throughout high school. The experience of being roommates destroyed our friendship. I was a night person, and she was a morning person, and we drove each other crazy )she got up at 7am to study---shudder). Many times, I lived with people (both male and female) who worked out great. I am a BIG believer in first impressions, too. Sometimes just talking to someone for 10 mins (and asking the right questions!) can give you a great idea of how you would be living together. Here are the key issues that you need to know, in my opinion:

Are they a night person or a morning person?

Do they like to listen to loud music while studying?

How often are they home (it can suck to have someone home ALL THE TIME)?

Do they have a bf/gf or frequent overnight guests? (no need for the dreaded "third roommate"!)

Are they messy or clean freaks?

Do they like to have parties, frequent get-togethers?

Do they have pets?

Stuff like that can really give you an idea if you can live with someone or not. Also, it's a good idea to set "ground rules" before moving in. I always tell my roomies: If you get a bf/gf, that's fine, but they can't be over all the time. If you want to live with your bf, you have to agree to move out. Since I am home a lot, I always love having roommates who are computer science majors or pre-med or whatnot--they're never home!

I've used internet sites to get roommates. Once, I put an ad in for a roommate in the local paper, and it was great. I interviewed all the people and the person I chose later became one of my best friends.

Are they a night person or a morning person?

Do they like to listen to loud music while studying?

How often are they home (it can suck to have someone home ALL THE TIME)?

Do they have a bf/gf or frequent overnight guests? (no need for the dreaded "third roommate"!)

Are they messy or clean freaks?

Do they like to have parties, frequent get-togethers?

Do they have pets?

Cool advice!!! Thanks a lot! :)

I guess what I am really afraid about living with someone who is not a friend of a friend is not that they will kill me while I am sleeping :P but that they can steal something from me. How can I trust a person I don't know?? I guess I am so paranoic about it because I've never lived with a room-mate found online...