NDSEG fellowship

BG7

After all of this waiting, I've had a lot of time to think about my application.

I don't feel very confident since I'm not in graduate school yet.

What do you guys think of my chances?

I went to a state university and did well (3.9GPA in physics/math dual degree finished in 4 years). I did 3.5 years of research while an undergrad (3 summers of REU at my university) and published 3 co-authored papers. I got the goldwater in 2009.

Looking back at the past winners, they seem to come from top schools and are in their 1st or second year as a grad student. I feel like I'll be able to compete when I know what my graduate research will be and have part of a semester under my belt as a grad student.

ugh, this process is annoying.

I went to a state university and did well (3.9GPA in physics/math dual degree finished in 4 years). I did 3.5 years of research while an undergrad (3 summers of REU at my university) and published 3 co-authored papers. I got the goldwater in 2009.

It's impossible to say, really. I don't really understand their criteria as well as I understand the NSF GRFP criteria. Your undergrad experience is very similar to mine, and I also was a goldwater recipient, yet I was rejected for the NDSEG in my first year of graduate studies, and will likely be again this year. If you're in a field like Aerospace Engineering or Electrical engineering, you got a decent chance at the NDSEG, otherwise, the competition is very stiff and it probably comes down to splitting hairs.

You still have two more years to apply though, so no matter what the result this time around, keep up the hard work.

I am starting to regret even checking this forum again for this thread. I probably should have just waited it out in ignorant bliss because waiting like this, regardless of the outcome, is worse.

I think had we all been notified at the same time, it would not have been so painful. But because some people have been raptured with their judgments first, the rest of us are sitting in an unanticipated purgatory.

I am starting to regret even checking this forum again for this thread. I probably should have just waited it out in ignorant bliss because waiting like this, regardless of the outcome, is worse.

I tried to give you a +1, but I'm apparently out for today.

I could not agree more! :)

Still trying to decide whether or not I think all the acceptances have already gone out and we're just waiting on the rejections or not.

Stages of grief involving the NDSEG:

1) Denial -- Perhaps those who claim they were notified weren't actually notified.

2) Anger -- Grrrr, just tell us already (and what is up with all these trolls?)

3) Bargaining -- I'll do anything, just tell us already. Maybe if well all keep pestering ASEE they'll tell us something?

4) Depression -- *Sigh* I give up. I was never going to win it anyways. I'll tell my troubles to my beer.

5) Acceptance -- But I'm ok with that. At least I was offered $ by my institution. Sure, I'll have to TA or RA for it, but it's better than no $ at all.

I'm at stage 4 right now.

Stages of grief involving the NDSEG:

1) Denial -- Perhaps those who claim they were notified weren't actually notified.

2) Anger -- Grrrr, just tell us already (and what is up with all these trolls?)

3) Bargaining -- I'll do anything, just tell us already. Maybe if well all keep pestering ASEE they'll tell us something?

4) Depression -- *Sigh* I give up. I was never going to win it anyways. I'll tell my troubles to my beer.

5) Acceptance -- But I'm ok with that. At least I was offered $ by my institution. Sure, I'll have to TA or RA for it, but it's better than no $ at all.

I'm at stage 4 right now.

I'm at stage 4 too. Or maybe acceptance...acceptance with the knowledge that I will be poor from now until graduation, with no hope of an increase in pay until then. Sigh....

Still trying to decide whether or not I think all the acceptances have already gone out and we're just waiting on the rejections or not.

I think we are waiting on rejections :-/

Assuming a 10 percent acceptance rate, we would expect with the 100 or so users on this thread to see 10 awards. Aren't we pretty close to that? Obviously an incredibly rough estimate, but I'm thinking there aren't too many more (if any) awards going out today.

Edited by flanna

I think we are waiting on rejections :-/

Assuming a 10 percent acceptance rate, we would expect with the 100 or so users on this thread to see 10 awards. Aren't we pretty close to that? Obviously an incredibly rough estimate, but I'm thinking there aren't too many more (if any) awards going out today.

That's what I'm thinking - anyone got an official count? We have had as many as 180 in here today, though.