NDSEG fellowship

BG7

Hey, I believed you guys when everyone else was calling you trolls but there's really no need to be snarky and rub salt in the wound, yes I'm sure you guys had awesome applications and are doing great work but it's not like you're magnitudes greater than the rest of us. Just relax and celebrate!

Yeah, thanks for that. I never said I was better than anyone else. I just got annoyed by all the troll comments.

treat the DoD like any other fellowship proposal. write a strong basic research component.if you target the DoD specifically, you'll end up looking like a weak candidate

This is a good point. I've also heard you shouldn't try to tailor your proposal to the goals of the DoD, you should write it like any other research proposal. If your research really does contribute to the goals of the DoD, then include it, but too much emphasis would probably be transparent.

I hear they're more interested in investing in smart scientists and engineers that could contribute to their country down the road rather than expecting great things from your PhD work...

Thanks for that, TheNeurotic. Did you contact them directly to get that email response, or did they just send it to you? I haven't heard anything. So, still could be good or bad. Frustrating!

I emailed them Monday morning and they gave me that response. They actually responded fairly quickly, although not that informative.

I also know someone who called them Monday and got the same reply as everyone else, "All notices sent out today". Calling doesn't seem to provide very accurate information.

At this point I'm willing to guess we are part of "wave two", whatever that means.

I wonder if these "waves" are dependent on the different research arms within the DoD (i.e. ARO, Naval Research Office, etc) sending ASEE the "list"? That would kind of make sense why a few people have heard from a variety of disciplines, rather than the explanation that they are sending out rejections/acceptances by disciplines. Sure certain disciplines fall within certain research organizations, but some may have a variety of uses within the DoD (as they explained on their website). Just a theory.

But I'm still waiting for that rejection.