NDSEG fellowship

BG7

I just finished a MS in geophysics (http://www.agu.org/p...9JB006877.shtml), but decided to switch over to OE/Oceanography (working on a PhD in Oceanography at Rhode Island and a MS in OE at New Hampshire). My proposal was to build a highres 3D subbottom profiler (AUV/ROV microseismics) - using navigation methodologies taken from Simultaneous Location and Mapping (SLAM).

I want to use it to image shipwrecks......(arrrrgggghhhhh!!!!)

But said it would make a good mine-hunter/UXO detector.

But I might not even have qualified given that I have a previous MS degree - I had to write an exemption request stating I was switching fields....

who knows....

Wow! This stuff is actually really interesting and definitely something the DoD or whichever research arm can utilize.

I'm currently doing some hydrologic modeling and working on a larger project that hopes to create a more integrated Earth systems model with biogeochemical cycling (http://www.cereo.wsu.edu/bioearth/). This is definitely not DoD. It is more for a DOE project, which explicitly states modeling as an interest. But too bad the DOE SCGF will probably never come to fruition due to budget cuts. Plus, it's way too late to open up another application cycle ...

I was hitting refresh and saw I got a new email. It was my advisor. I told her that her email freaked me out and that I am expecting rejection any moment. She was so positive in her email saying "maybe positive emails come later". Oh, how I wish I was as optimistic as her.

Edited by crimsonengineer87

Wow! This stuff is actually really interesting and definitely something the DoD or whichever research arm can utilize.

I'm currently doing some hydrologic modeling and working on a larger project that hopes to create a more integrated Earth systems model with biogeochemical cycling (http://www.cereo.wsu.edu/bioearth/). This is definitely not DoD. It is more for a DOE project, which explicitly states modeling as an interest. But too bad the DOE SCGF will probably never come to fruition due to budget cuts. Plus, it's way too late to open up another application cycle ...

I was hitting refresh and saw I got a new email. It was my advisor. I told her that her email freaked me out and that I am expecting rejection any moment. She was so positive in her email saying "maybe positive emails come later". Oh, how I wish I was as optimistic as her.

I got rejected from the DOE CSGF last week.........I was hoping to get all the rejections out of the way at once.

So where does all the Nitrogen go?

Have you ever seen this video?

Awesome!

I got rejected from the DOE CSGF last week.........I was hoping to get all the rejections out of the way at once.

So where does all the Nitrogen go?

Awesome!

I haven't seen this video, but it was pretty interesting! If I didn't work on the modeling I do now, I would have done research in either: (1) hurricane formation, (2) plate tectonics, or (3) art history. Widespread, but here I am, learning to be a modeler.

Where does all the N go? We most definitely consume most of it b/c of the N in fertilizer, poop it out, and release it back to the environment where it leaches into the rivers/oceans. N is also leached from agriculture. My research looks more at N from atmospheric deposition ... which really isn't a problem here in the West. I know in the East where you have coal plants, you've got more issues with deposition of N.

Hmm, yet again, refreshing my email results in an email from my advisor. Lol.

Awesome!

I found this video while working with some geoscientists as an undergrad and asked them about it. The earth has definitely not expanded to an extant illustrated in the video. Cool concept, pretty pictures, but nothing more.

I found this video while working with some geoscientists as an undergrad and asked them about it. The earth has definitely not expanded to an extant illustrated in the video. Cool concept, pretty pictures, but nothing more.

It's a geophysicist's favorite. Kind of like the movie "The Core" for geologists. I remember a friend of mine who was doing magnetic plate reconstructions around iceland (she was Icelandic, funny enough), found the ever expanding earth video. A chuckle was had by all.

you guys are doing it all wrong. for example, it doesn't matter if you have .mil and 202 recommendations. i can't believe this isn't obvious to everyone

I think that was a joke....

But instead of criticizing these approaches, perhaps you could share what factors you believe contributed to your success so that others may learn from it. There is no posted rubric or vast body of information about the judging criteria for the NDSEG (unlike the NSF GRFP where there are explicit criteria and even panel review sheets), so we're left with speculation.

treat the DoD like any other fellowship proposal. write a strong basic research component.if you target the DoD specifically, you'll end up looking like a weak candidate

Sorry, what? I mean, I know that you won and we didn't, but you just said that in the DoD funded, DoD selected fellowship we shouldn't target the DoD?

"National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowships are awarded to applicants who will pursue a doctoral degree in, or closely related to, an area of DoD interest within one of the fifteen following disciplines...etc, etc, etc."

"The DoD then selects applicants to receive NDSEG Fellowships based on an assessment of the applicants’ academic ability in fields of interest to the DoD. Selection of awardees is made by the Army Research Office, Office of Naval Research, Air Force Office of Scientific Research, and the High Performance Computing Modernization Program. Each agency directly monitors the awards conferred to fellows in discipline areas closely related to its mission."

I interpreted that to mean my proposal should target the DoD. Can you further explain your reasoning for not targeting the DoD?

you think the DoD cares if you have a plan to disarm atomic bombs in the ocean? maybe... but my guess is, not really. i'll repeat again, the dod is just like every other fellowship, in that it funds strong (basic or applied) research in a related field. the keyword is 'strong' (but you can go with 'nuclear' if you want)

anyway, i would elaborate, but i need to go select a fellowship from the 4 i was awarded, k thx g2g bye

Edited by kala tim

I think that was a joke....

But instead of criticizing these approaches, perhaps you could share what factors you believe contributed to your success so that others may learn from it. There is no posted rubric or vast body of information about the judging criteria for the NDSEG (unlike the NSF GRFP where there are explicit criteria and even panel review sheets), so we're left with speculation.

I don't think we can say with much certainty why we got the award and others didn't. For what it's worth, I had a pretty good GPA (coming out of undergrad) and GRE scores, as well as a research topic that could have broad impacts across several DoD-related fields. Also a fair amount of practical design work in the aerospace field, though only a year of real research (first and second author on two conference papers). Very little community service or extra stuff like that, and I didn't spend much time actually doing the application/essay; about two days total.

Hey, I believed you guys when everyone else was calling you trolls but there's really no need to be snarky and rub salt in the wound, yes I'm sure you guys had awesome applications and are doing great work but it's not like you're magnitudes greater than the rest of us. Just relax and celebrate!