If professor manages to find your GPA out, could that make them think less of you?

If your GPA sucks? They might originally think that you were the top 2% of the class, but then change their mind later.

The thing with me is that my GPA is so low only because I got a couple of 0's in graduate-level Applied Math courses that I took at age 18. I later managed to get decent grades in other graduate-level Applied Math courses.

So then it might help if I showed them my transcript. The problem with that, though is that I have other horrors on my transcript (courses that I repeated, and that I didn't even do that well on the repeat - granted - it was during a period of time when I was an emotional wreck and skipped all my classes). My transcript is remarkably clean for my last 2 years though. But still, some people do make judgments based on the first 2 years.

Edited by InquilineKea

• 4 weeks later...

If it's an academic advisor, then they do have access to your academic records. However, otherwise, at least at my undergrad institution, faculty members don't have access to your grades. Of my LOR writers, two asked for unofficial transcripts (one was a former advisor, but since I'd graduated by the time I applied, he no longer had access to my transcript).

If it's an academic advisor, then they do have access to your academic records. However, otherwise, at least at my undergrad institution, faculty members don't have access to your grades. Of my LOR writers, two asked for unofficial transcripts (one was a former advisor, but since I'd graduated by the time I applied, he no longer had access to my transcript).

Faculty at the institution where I did my MA have access to students' grades. When I was a TA, and the prof and I were discussing grade alterations, e.g., bumps to the next grade or passing someone if it was really close, the prof pulled up the grades online, which I assume means they have complete access to the records system.

My ex-PI did ask for my unofficial transcript when I asked him to write me a letter. I was freaking out because I never told anyone about my GPA, because it's low.... I was even afraid that he might kick me out of the lab, but I was glad that he remained supportive throughout the process. Some other faculty didn't want to write me a letter because of my GPA (or even accept me into their group for undergrad research), I guess it depends on the person.

Faculty at the institution where I did my MA have access to students' grades. When I was a TA, and the prof and I were discussing grade alterations, e.g., bumps to the next grade or passing someone if it was really close, the prof pulled up the grades online, which I assume means they have complete access to the records system.

Are you talking about a class the prof was teaching? Yes, professors have access to grades but only the grades for students current enrolled in the course(s) that professor is teaching. They don't have access to the students' grades for other courses. All of this is governed by US law (FERPA).

Are you talking about a class the prof was teaching? Yes, professors have access to grades but only the grades for students current enrolled in the course(s) that professor is teaching. They don't have access to the students' grades for other courses. All of this is governed by US law (FERPA).

It was at a Canadian university. That's interesting about the US context, though, I didn't know that. I understand the point behind such a law in terms of privacy, I guess, but I don't really see the necessity.

Not to split hairs, but FERPA doesn't say faculty cannot have access to students' transcripts. It says that institutions must use reasonable methods to ensure that school officials obtain access to only those education records in which they have legitimate educational interests. Also there must be an effective and compliant administrative policy for controlling access to education records. See http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr;sid=6b7e313020dfabb7caa0216830b2a7d8;rgn=div5;view=text;node=34%3A1.1.1.1.34;idno=34;cc=ecfr#34:1.1.1.1.34.1.138.2 for more information.

How colleges and universities chose to implement these requirements can range from no access to limited to full access depending upon the responsibilities of the faculty and staff.

If your GPA sucks? They might originally think that you were the top 2% of the class, but then change their mind later.

The thing with me is that my GPA is so low only because I got a couple of 0's in graduate-level Applied Math courses that I took at age 18. I later managed to get decent grades in other graduate-level Applied Math courses.

So then it might help if I showed them my transcript. The problem with that, though is that I have other horrors on my transcript (courses that I repeated, and that I didn't even do that well on the repeat - granted - it was during a period of time when I was an emotional wreck and skipped all my classes). My transcript is remarkably clean for my last 2 years though. But still, some people do make judgments based on the first 2 years.

I don't think it would be a huge issue if the bad grades were early on and you have shown that you can do better since then. As to your title for this thread, I might think that they might trust you less if you do not trust them with this information and then they find out about what your GPA is in another fashion. If you are really that concerned, show them a copy of your transcript with an explaination of why it is the way it is. A lot of people applying to grad school screw up when they are 18. Many adcomms understand that. If you have other things that show that you would be a good grad student, then it should out weigh a less then stellar transcript.

I think that if you show that you are mature to your LOR writers that you know you understand you screwed up with these classes, that it messed up your GPA, but have since improved, and you have stuff to prove it, then the sad state of GPA will be a hurdle but less of one. I think they are more likely to write a better LOR if you are up front about it. Or have people had experineces that say otherwise?