Fall 2012 applicants

oryantin

Orient-

Sounds like Prof. Z isn't on the committee for this coming year and Prof. Y is. He's not being rude- he's just telling you that he won't have a lot of say over your application this year. So e-mail Prof. Y and see what he says.

I am now preparing for the GRE which I will take in 3 weeks. Then 2 weeks to prepare for TOEFL. After that 2 more weeks for SOP, personal history and LOR.

By mid November I am planning on applying to:

-Berkely: EPM (MEng)

-Columbia: Construction Management Program.

-Illinois: Construction Management Program.

-USC: Construction Management Program.

-Cornell: Master in Engineering Management

-DUKE: Master in Engineering Management

I am still not sure whether to apply for Construction Management Programs or the MEM, so I guess I will apply on both.

Also if any of you have any suggestions of similar programs or have had experiences with the ones I mentioned, any feedback would be helpful.....

Orient-

Sounds like Prof. Z isn't on the committee for this coming year and Prof. Y is. He's not being rude- he's just telling you that he won't have a lot of say over your application this year. So e-mail Prof. Y and see what he says.

I agree. Prof. Y may be the person who will encourage you to apply.

I agree. Prof. Y may be the person who will encourage you to apply.

Bluebird and ticklemepink, thanks for your comments! I did not think that way. But the e-mail I sent was not only to let her know that I will apply but also to ask her whether she will be accepting new students for the next year. So I wanted to learn if she may supervise my future dissertation. Given this information, I thought that she is either unable or reluctant to do so, and directs me to contact Prof. Y probably because Y's interests are closer to mine.

Anyway, I just did what I was told. We'll see :)

I'm glad to say that the GRE is now behind me! This was my second time taking the test, and I think the revised test is fantastic. I could never quite get the hang of the analogy questions of the old test, or at least make the associations ETS was looking for, so I ended up with a decent but not great verbal score (probably would not have taken it again if my quant score was also decent, but alas...). Though my quant score is still mediocre compared to some of the numbers here, I'm thrilled with my new verbal score and my combined score is one that I'm comfortable with. Now I just need to make sure the rest of my application is flawless, lest my quant scores come back to haunt me somehow ;)

My only issue with the revised GRE is that you're given a 100-point range in the old score format instead of an exact score, which you won't find out until November. It can certainly be a stressful situation for those who have borderline GRE scores (like I did the first time), and are unsure of whether they should apply with their current score or retake the test. By the time percentiles and exact scores are released in November and you have an idea of where you stand, it may be too late to take the GRE again in time for December deadlines.

I'm glad to say that the GRE is now behind me! This was my second time taking the test, and I think the revised test is fantastic. I could never quite get the hang of the analogy questions of the old test, or at least make the associations ETS was looking for, so I ended up with a decent but not great verbal score (probably would not have taken it again if my quant score was also decent, but alas...). Though my quant score is still mediocre compared to some of the numbers here, I'm thrilled with my new verbal score and my combined score is one that I'm comfortable with. Now I just need to make sure the rest of my application is flawless, lest my quant scores come back to haunt me somehow ;)

My only issue with the revised GRE is that you're given a 100-point range in the old score format instead of an exact score, which you won't find out until November. It can certainly be a stressful situation for those who have borderline GRE scores (like I did the first time), and are unsure of whether they should apply with their current score or retake the test. By the time percentiles and exact scores are released in November and you have an idea of where you stand, it may be too late to take the GRE again in time for December deadlines.

Lucky you! I take the GRE in 30 days. I also hated the analogies so I'm hoping I'll do better this time. Overall, I dread it because I hate standardized tests but all I can do is my best!

Well, I survived my first full week of lectures! It is definitely getting easier and I am whipping my classes into shape. I was an emergency hire and I took over for a professor who was forced out on medical leave. He was known as an easy "A" so my classes are packed with international students and athletes. After the first day they realized that they are actually going to have to work for me. So now I have to write my first quiz and continue to prep lectures and powepoints. I have to start cutting content because I am already behind!

I am starting to obsess about my SoP and getting in touch with professors. I have no idea how to get started on my SoP...Any suggestions or tips?

Oh, Safferz, I understand your pain. I know what I got at the end (not that they let you easily write down that information and take it with you out of the testing room) but I want to know the real score! Ah, I have signed up for a retake on the 4th of Nov (not happy with my math score, though I know it really doesn't matter for History) just to be safe. But I don't think that really matters, either, because the old scores won't come out until the 8th or 9th. I didn't realize that until *after* I had scheduled for the 4th. Meh. I just ranted about this elsewhere and then read this post, so I'm sorry guys if I am double-ranting...but I had to! :0)

On a good note, I asked my favorite professor if she would write me an LoR and she said of course. :0) She asked after my GRE scores and I told her (690-790 on verbal/crap on math) and she said I should not worry even though I don't know the exact score on the new scale.

Ahhhh stress! :):P

Oh, Safferz, I understand your pain. I know what I got at the end (not that they let you easily write down that information and take it with you out of the testing room) but I want to know the real score! Ah, I have signed up for a retake on the 4th of Nov (not happy with my math score, though I know it really doesn't matter for History) just to be safe. But I don't think that really matters, either, because the old scores won't come out until the 8th or 9th. I didn't realize that until *after* I had scheduled for the 4th. Meh. I just ranted about this elsewhere and then read this post, so I'm sorry guys if I am double-ranting...but I had to! :0)

On a good note, I asked my favorite professor if she would write me an LoR and she said of course. :0) She asked after my GRE scores and I told her (690-790 on verbal/crap on math) and she said I should not worry even though I don't know the exact score on the new scale.

Ahhhh stress! :):P

Your verbal score is higher than mine, actually -- I ended up with 640-740 verbal, which I'm happy with. I don't like my math score either, but I don't think I could do any better on it (my quant score on the old GRE is at the bottom of the range I received) and I don't think it matters much anyway. There are more important aspects of your application, so if your verbal scores are good (and composite score is decent, since that may matter to some programs), I wouldn't waste any more time thinking about it.

hey, could you help me out understand this revised gre? i think the hardest parts of verbal part have been removed from the test. right? as far as i am concerned, it is possible to choose one of two types of gre now: revised computer based and revised paper test. can you say that revised version is easier than the old one? which one do you recommend to take? what kind of study strategy helped you get such high scores from the verbal? which word list did it work for you the most? in fact, i do not worry much about the quantiative section because i majored economics and am pretty familiar to those basic math stuff. but the problem is the verbal section is more important to a history phd applicant. and one thing more, you are talking about 600's and 700's, but isn't this new one on a 130-170 score scale? or perhaps it is still possible to take the old one?

thanks in advance.

Edited by orient

hey, could you help me out understand this revised gre? i think the hardest parts of verbal part have been removed from the test. right? as far as i am concerned, it is possible to choose one of two types of gre now: revised computer based and revised paper test. can you say that revised version is easier than the old one? which one do you recommend to take? what kind of study strategy helped you get such high scores from the verbal? which word list did it work for you the most? in fact, i do not worry much about the quantiative section because i majored economics and am pretty familiar to those basic math stuff. but the problem is the verbal section is more important to a history phd applicant. and one thing more, you are talking about 600's and 700's, but isn't this new one on a 130-170 score scale? or perhaps it is still possible to take the old one?

thanks in advance.

Hi Orient,

The only test available as of August 1st is the revised GRE. Until November, the score you'll receive at the end of the revised GRE will be a 100-point range in the old score format.

I would say the verbal section is much easier now (for native speakers of English, at least), since it no longer rewards memorization and emphasizes context and comprehension. You still need to have a large vocabulary to do well, but since you're asked to complete fill in the blank sentences and analyze passages, if you have a strong grasp of the English language, you can often figure out words from context and make good guesses.

One book I'd recommend is the Kaplan Revised GRE Verbal Workbook (I also used their math workbook, and would have done a lot worse on the quant if I hadn't!). Both workbooks are structured the same way - 30 practice questions for each type of question on the GRE (sentence completion, sentence equivalence, reading comprehension), and six 20-question practice sections so you can time yourself. Although most books no longer include word lists, I think it's still important to get familiar with high frequency words from the old GRE, since they still come up on the new test. The Kaplan workbook includes a high frequency word list.

That's pretty much it. It's important to remember that the GRE is really testing your ability to take the GRE more than anything else, so practice as much as you can to get familar with GRE question types, and make sure to take several full length practice tests to get used to the test before you sit down for the real thing. I think practice tests are crucial, especially for those who are not great test-takers and get anxious about it. PowerPrep is available on the ETS website, and Manhattan GRE has free practice test as well. I also used the Barron's CD that came with the New GRE book, which includes two tests.

Hi Orient,

The only test available as of August 1st is the revised GRE. Until November, the score you'll receive at the end of the revised GRE will be a 100-point range in the old score format.

I would say the verbal section is much easier now (for native speakers of English, at least), since it no longer rewards memorization and emphasizes context and comprehension. You still need to have a large vocabulary to do well, but since you're asked to complete fill in the blank sentences and analyze passages, if you have a strong grasp of the English language, you can often figure out words from context and make good guesses.

One book I'd recommend is the Kaplan Revised GRE Verbal Workbook (I also used their math workbook, and would have done a lot worse on the quant if I hadn't!). Both workbooks are structured the same way - 30 practice questions for each type of question on the GRE (sentence completion, sentence equivalence, reading comprehension), and six 20-question practice sections so you can time yourself. Although most books no longer include word lists, I think it's still important to get familiar with high frequency words from the old GRE, since they still come up on the new test. The Kaplan workbook includes a high frequency word list.

That's pretty much it. It's important to remember that the GRE is really testing your ability to take the GRE more than anything else, so practice as much as you can to get familar with GRE question types, and make sure to take several full length practice tests to get used to the test before you sit down for the real thing. I think practice tests are crucial, especially for those who are not great test-takers and get anxious about it. PowerPrep is available on the ETS website, and Manhattan GRE has free practice test as well. I also used the Barron's CD that came with the New GRE book, which includes two tests.

Glad to hear that you recommend Kaplan because that's the book I have been using for my prep. It's easy to understand, they lay it all out very nicely. I've been using Barron's Essential Words for the GRE for high frequency words. It has definitions, matching exercises, fill in the blanks and sense or nonsense practice in context.

As you mentioned, it's really just a measure of how well you take the GRE so that takes some of the pressure off, I think.

I took the GRE a few days ago, and I'm pretty happy with my score (though I wish the Quant score could have been slightly higher). It's a relief to have it out of the way. Now I can focus on my personal statement and writing sample.

In terms of GRE tips, for Verbal I would recommend learning synonyms. The way the new test is structured, it doesn't really help to memorize thousands of words. Instead, what I found helpful was knowing synonyms of words, even when I didn't know the exact definition. For instance, make lists for yourself of common words/concepts, such as stubborn, lazy, tired, energetic, happy, sad, etc, etc. For each of these words/concepts, make a list of as many synonyms as you can think of.

For example, your "stubborn" list might include: obstinate, obdurate, intransigent, unyielding, pertinacious, intractable, contumacious, and so on. In this way, when you see a word on the GRE, you don't need to know the exact definition, as long as you can remember which list it comes under. Similarly, for most sentence completions, try to make the sentence easier for yourself, by asking, "Does this blank need a negative word or a positive word?" In some cases, you can figure it out without knowing the exact definition.

Finally, in my opinion, the best way to prepare for the Verbal section (if you have time), is to read as much as you can. Read anything - novels, academic works, magazines, etc - as long as it is of a reasonably high reading level.

• 3 weeks later...

Recently, I started contacting Profs whom I want to work with. This helped me narraow my list down. Some POI's I contacted, however, did not relpy my e-mails. Do you think I should not apply to these schools even if their research interests overlap mine? I am pretty sure that this does not always mean that they are not interested at all. But I still do not know what to do.

Recently, I started contacting Profs whom I want to work with. This helped me narraow my list down. Some POI's I contacted, however, did not relpy my e-mails. Do you think I should not apply to these schools even if their research interests overlap mine? I am pretty sure that this does not always mean that they are not interested at all. But I still do not know what to do.

Don't worry. If you still want to apply to those programs, just do it! Some professors don't want to get involved at all until they see the applications.

So I just got my writing sample back from a professor and he slaughtered it!!!!!!! Not the argument itself, nor my understanding of the topic, but he pointed out some stylistic crimes and showed where my understanding of a key concept was quite deficient. I'm quite happy actually, because now I know where to fix it. The first few pages are marked all over in red, but the body of the paper, where I actually demonstrate how the narrative fits with my overall argument, is pretty good. So, I have to read Edmund Morgan and revise.......

(history is really fun because it's way more challenging than the social sciences- in my opinion.)

• 2 months later...

2 done and paid for...3 done and not paid for...4 to be completed next weekend (they are mostly all done- except for the book review). Even though I am very happy with my apps. and the fact that they have all been or will be completed without a mad dash at the deadline- this whole process and the next 3 months that await are VERY stressful...I have three months to chew on whether I get paid thousands to pursue a doctorate from a top university...or if I have to teach middle schoolers that Columbus was actually an A**hole...