Cleveland, OH

Compared to alot of cities, Cleveland is pretty cheap I feel. You can get a pretty decent place for 600/mo w/o a room mate and much cheaper with. I would have a car because public transportation is not so great and biking and walking too far in the winter is not great.

What are some of the better/safer neighborhoods to live in? I'm a small town girl who will be living alone and don't have much experience with cities. even though Cleveland isn't very big. Thanks!

• 1 year later...

I am considering for living in Cleveland, because I am admitted at CWRU. Therefore, I want to know the up to date detail about the transportation, income tax, accommodation, and live style of Cleveland people.

Please give me these information :)

Thank you very much.

I am considering for living in Cleveland, because I am admitted at CWRU. Therefore, I want to know the up to date detail about the transportation, income tax, accommodation, and live style of Cleveland people.

Please give me these information :)

Thank you very much.

I lived in Cleveland for a year while working at Cleveland Clinic and CWRU campus for an internship. I am from New England and go to school in upstate NY (for a little background). I found Cleveland to be not the safest city, and you definitely don't want to be caught in the wrong area. Avoid Mid-town, and East Cleveland. There are some good apartments right near Case, Montlack Realty is what I used and found that they are fairly priced 550/month- 3000 month depending on what you want, but make sure you clean the place reaaaaaally well when you move out. I would recommend getting a hotel and checking out a few places. Shaker Heights especially near Shaker Square has great apartments, and there is a farmers market on Saturdays and a Transit station in the Square. Coventry Street is where the bars are, and most students go out there and there are apartments in the Coventry St, Mayfield Rd, Cedar Ave. Cleveland Heights is okay too. Downtown has some nice apartments too but they are usually a lot more expensive. There are bars/nightlife downtown but as expected more expensive-Jillians is popular for sports on Cedar. You do not need a car in the city, but it is nice as there are not tons of things to do. Legacy Village has good shopping, but it is about 20 min from CWRU up Cedar Rd by Car. Downtown is a 20 min car ride from CWRU.

Tax is 0.08%, style of living is conservative- mid-westy, you know women dress nicely all the time, church on sundays, everything closes early. There are No bank of Americas either, I would recommend Key Bank. (they have weird ones like 5/3 bank). Transit is decent- you can take it directly to the Airport which is really nice. But be careful riding it late at night. There is a stop right near CWRU campus too "university heights'. Pretty much it is a city, so be smart and don't walk alone at 3am with your Ipod earphones on.

I got into CWRU for Ph.D. in MTLE and am considering returning pending other schools results. If I go back, I am going to try to get an apartment right near Shaker Square again- but don't be on the wrong side of the tracks on Van Aken Blvd. (literally!). North, Northeast is nicer.

Anyway, hope that helps- my two cents:)

Thank You hopingforfunding for your kindly help. It's very useful information.

I want to ask more questions. Can I live w/o my own car? Is bicycle OK?

If the university give me 1800$ /month for TA, how much this money left after minus the income tax?

Thank you again :)

Thank You hopingforfunding for your kindly help. It's very useful information.

I want to ask more questions. Can I live w/o my own car? Is bicycle OK?

If the university give me 1800$ /month for TA, how much this money left after minus the income tax?

Thank you again :)

I am not sure how much money would be left over from income tax- I was offered 22,000 a year stipend- tax free. You might want to check if you need to pay tax on your stipend because if not you should be golden....

Otherwise, I would assume that 30%(max) of your 1800 would go to taxes. That would leave you with $1260 a month. Is health insurance included? You should be able to get an apartment for $550-800 per month easily near campus. That would leave you with $710-460 per month for food, utilities, fun. If you live in "Little Italy" you can probably walk to campus too. The roads I mentioned above have lots of student apartments and are biking distance. It is definitly do-able. You can have a bike if you live near campus no problem, and the Rapid Transit goes downtown from campus, to the airport, and some suburbs. So you do not need a car, there actually is not too much parking anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know about transportation between the Cleveland Clinic and CWRU? Somebody told me it was not a great place to have to walk at night, but are there other options for getting between the two?

Is this area especially unsafe, or is it just like any city? I'm looking at places in other midwestern cities like Chicago or Pittsburgh, but Cleveland was the only place where anybody really brought up safety.

Hey everyone, thought I'd chime in here. I am a Cleveland native and recent Case grad (BA). It seems like the three most common concerns are

1) places to live/ cost of living:

- Cleveland is cheap as hell. I would suggest Little Italy - its about 5 minutes from campus and you can find a decent apt for $400-500. If you are looking for something a little nicer, check out Cleveland Heights right at the top of the Cornell Rd. hill. If you have a car, you could really live anywhere in Cleveland/University Heights. Coventry isn't far and Shaker Square is probably 10 minutes by car.

2) safety/ transport -

- You will probably want a car, just to get around at night (I would NOT suggest walking between Case and Cleveland Clinic at night). Public transporatation is okay, but gets a little sketchy at night. Luckily, parking is free with many apts, and street parking is easy and cheap. East Cleveland and other areas around CWRU aren't the greatest, but as long as you are smart, there's nothing to worry about. I thought living in such close proximity to several poor neighborhoods enhanced my college experience by keeping a sense of reality about things, but that's jsut my opinion. It might be a little intimidating if you are from a small town though. Far more intimidating is the weather. Nothing like the icy breath of Satan blowing off Lake Erie on a chilly winter's day in Cleveland.

3) entertainment

- The arts, especially around CWRU, are unrivaled. If you end up at Case, go to the Orchestra, at least once a month! I didn't even like classical music when I first went there, and I loved the orchestra each time I went. Also, the art museum should be opening up again soon at twice its pre-renovation size. Night life is a little lacking, but not completely absent. Coventry has the Grog Shop (concert-venue) and the Wine Cave, right next door to each other. I hear the university is trying to get more bars, etc. on Euclid Ave. to develop a "college town" of sorts. Cleveland itself has a lot of great neighborhoods. A lot of the people at Case like to bitch that there's nothing to do in Cleveland, but they never made any effort to explore the city.

Hope this helps,

If you have any other questions, let me know!

Everything Steve says is on par. I grew up in Cleveland (Little Italy), now I am in NYC trying to get into a PhD program in Art History. Sounds like you probably won't have a car which is OK for CWRU. Although the campus is widespread and you'll be walking alot. Since it borders University Circle where the great cultural institutions of Cleveland reside (The Cleveland Museum of Art, other museums, Severance Hall and the orchestra), it is near the Clinic (I also worked there for years!) and is adjacent to LIttle Italy, making a home base in that area is a good idea.

That being the case, Little Italy is very safe to walk around at night and live. Forget calling a broker, as most owners do not deal with them. My suggestion is to call Holy Rosary Church on Mayfield Rd. The rectory keeps a list of phone numbers of area owners. Also, the bakery/coffee shop Presti's is a good place. And of course, if you walk around there are rental signs galore. You can find a nice 1 bdr, maybe even 2, apartment for $500-$600. The area is 60% case students and the other 40% are locals who have grown up in the area are empty nesters, suburan ex-patriates, who want to live in the city and give up the cost of big homes. The art scene draws an mixed group of suburbanites too. I like to think of my neighborhood as a moment in the country's history where immigrants have settled and now in contemporary times is striving to maintain its heritage and tradition and balance its relationship to the CWRU, the hospitals, greater Cleveland, and the art scene. Many Cleveland Clinic and University Hospital docs and staff also live in the area. The neighborhood is full of restaurants and art galleries and bustles.

Shaker Square is quaint. The market is fun on Saturdays. Many orchestra types live there and you'll them practicing. Coventry is also eclectic and fun. However, coming down Coventry and walking down (and back up) Edgehill is hard in the Cleveland winters! Many do it, but you have to have thick skin.

Transportation - Yes, public transportation in Cleveland can be dicey. However there is bus called the circular that only stops at Case, University Circle, Little Italy and Coventry. The bus was created, I think, to fill the need for only those in this area. Check that out.

Good luck to you. The Cleveland Clinic is a massive place and that's a whole other story....

Thanks for the info. I would actually have a car (unless it gets stolen), but have heard it is a pain to park at Case or the clinic so I was counting on buses. Fortunately, the work I would have to do at the Clinic has to be on a set schedule, so I won't just be lingering around late into the night.

Wish you guys had better news, but thanks again for the insight. Maybe some ghetto living experience will do me good.

Cleveland and the area around Case is not the ghetto. Granted like any major urban city, there are places you have to be careful, cautious and vigilant. If you want to live in a suburb there are plenty of those choices as well. BTW - a very high percentage of Forbes Fortune 500 listees live in Cleveland suburbs. I would do more research if I were you before making a judgement call and go visit.

Please dont get the impression that Case is in the ghetto. It abuts a couple of poor neighborhoods that are inhabited mostly by friendly and perfectly law-abiding people. Travelingartmuse is right about Little Italy. I would say its probably the best place to live for the price, proximity to Case, and neighborhood feel. I lived in Little Italy for a year and a half and parking wasn't and issue. There are resident passes for like $10/year, or you could take your chances that you'll get ticketed the few times a year they check. Also, many apartments come with parking spots. Parking at Case is a little harder, but there are few tricks of the trade. Not sure about parking at Cleveland Clinic, but they have a veritable empire on the east side of Cleveland that is constantly expanding; I'm sure they have plenty of parking lots/garages.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering if there are any new opinions on Cleveland (on transportation, safety, cost of living, where to find housing), as the replies upthread are two years old.

Thanks for the responses. :)

I am a Case u/g and was living in Little Italy. Much of the info. above is still very valid. Though the bus transportation has not improved. BUT, University Circle has their shuttle service and you can take it to get around Case campus and also to Cleveland Heights area. Biking is good, though if you have not ridden in winter, it can be a challenge. University Circle Inc. is building some really snazzy apartments near campus. Might be ready for occupancy by Fall.

As any urban area, you have to use some caution, but it is pretty okay. I use public transportation and bike all the time, and have not had any problems. I even bike late in the evenings, after hitting the bar scene on Coventry and don't feel unsafe. It is all about being aware of surroundings and using the usual city living smarts. There are poor neighborhoods like in any city in good 'ol USA, but it is NOT a ghetto. With all the snazzy buildings of University Hospital and Cleveland Clinic - it is quite nice actually.

Lots of apts./duplex houses close to campus, Cleveland heights area, Shaker Heights. Drive around and you will see lots of For Rent signs. Avoid East Cleveland for housing. If you have a car, you can even rent a house in the 'burbs - if you share the cost with others. Though, parking is a bear and you will pay beaucoup $ for it. Cost of living is pretty low and a Case stipend will go a long way. Legacy Village, Crocker Park are great for retail therapy ;) and if you like hiking and biking - Cuyahoga Valley National Park is awesome.

If you have any specific questions, ask away.

On 4/7/2010 at 4:58 PM, Peanut said:

I have a question about Case Western Reserve University. What are the atmosphere and social life like in the university? I heard that CWRU is famous for science and medical subjects. Do people in humanities and social science feel very isolated at CWRU?

Depends on the field, I think. There are many strong anthropologists, psychologists, and bioethicists here from what I can tell. There's the Mandel Center for Applied Social Sciences which is very highly ranked in social work. The only isolated fields I would really pinpoint would be English, history, and classics. There are good faculty working here, but definitely a minority and pretty much ignored by others.

Social life though can be lacking unless you are really gung ho about the university. That said, I think the grad students are more tightly knit, and there are always events on campus and around town.

Hey everyone, thought I'd chime in here. I am a Cleveland native and recent Case grad (BA). It seems like the three most common concerns are

1) places to live/ cost of living:

- Cleveland is cheap as hell. I would suggest Little Italy - its about 5 minutes from campus and you can find a decent apt for $400-500. If you are looking for something a little nicer, check out Cleveland Heights right at the top of the Cornell Rd. hill. If you have a car, you could really live anywhere in Cleveland/University Heights. Coventry isn't far and Shaker Square is probably 10 minutes by car.

2) safety/ transport -

- You will probably want a car, just to get around at night (I would NOT suggest walking between Case and Cleveland Clinic at night). Public transporatation is okay, but gets a little sketchy at night. Luckily, parking is free with many apts, and street parking is easy and cheap. East Cleveland and other areas around CWRU aren't the greatest, but as long as you are smart, there's nothing to worry about. I thought living in such close proximity to several poor neighborhoods enhanced my college experience by keeping a sense of reality about things, but that's jsut my opinion. It might be a little intimidating if you are from a small town though. Far more intimidating is the weather. Nothing like the icy breath of Satan blowing off Lake Erie on a chilly winter's day in Cleveland.

3) entertainment

- The arts, especially around CWRU, are unrivaled. If you end up at Case, go to the Orchestra, at least once a month! I didn't even like classical music when I first went there, and I loved the orchestra each time I went. Also, the art museum should be opening up again soon at twice its pre-renovation size. Night life is a little lacking, but not completely absent. Coventry has the Grog Shop (concert-venue) and the Wine Cave, right next door to each other. I hear the university is trying to get more bars, etc. on Euclid Ave. to develop a "college town" of sorts. Cleveland itself has a lot of great neighborhoods. A lot of the people at Case like to bitch that there's nothing to do in Cleveland, but they never made any effort to explore the city.

Hope this helps,

If you have any other questions, let me know!

Steve, I'm excited to say I'll be at Case this Fall as well. I am a Cleveland native and I grew up going to shows at the Grog (as well as the much-missed Euclid Tavern-Another great Eastside venue for lesser known acts). The Beachland Ballroom on Waterloo Rd. is a great venue too so point is that there are a lot of nightlife options on the eastside (and westside for that matter) for people with diverse interests. Much as folks don't realize Cleveland is actually a culturally-diverse and dynamic urban center (I mean Chicago or New York it isn't but it isn't Toledo or Albuquerque either). There is and always has been a ton to do in Cleveland and I count myself lucky for having grown-up in a place with so much action and exposure to the arts!

Also I agree that the public transport is actually pretty convenient. I grew up in the inner west side and took the RTA (Rapid Transit System) everyday to University Circle to my middle and high school. If I could get around so well in the 6th grade I think it is a pretty safe and convenient system. Cleveland is a city and you need to keep your wits about you but be smart and you will likely be fine.

Cleveland is super cheap and after paying a small fortune for a tiny 2-br in the Southwest (as a mommy of 2 I do not have the luxury of getting roomies or a cheap efficiency), I am so excited that I will actually be able to afford rent and food at the same time again. I LOVE the Cleveland Heights/ University Heights Area and East Cleveland does have some very rough neighborhoods so if you are not comfortable in a poorer community you may want to look elsewhere (although I have seen some beautiful homes in the old Hough projects area- there has clearly been some change in those neighborhoods in the last 8 years). The architecture in Cleveland is GORGEOUS so your home will likely have a lot of colonial or Victorian charm and woodwork.

I'm not very familiar with Little Italy (my investigations of the area were limited to a more "let's ditch class and go be truant in Little Italy" type of exposure but it always seemed like a beautiful community. I made lemonade at the Feast of the Assumption festival (a big street fair) during my summer as a carnie in Little Italy and that was a great time!

Obviously I love Cleveland. I was a bit leary about coming home but now I'm getting very excited!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am considering Cleveland State. Is the area directly surrounding the school dangerous or should I be looking for housing somewhere else?

I live in Cleveland (and attend CSU--Go Vikes!!) and the area there is fairly safe. It is extremely well lit because of the campus, the new dorms that are being constructed or were finished within the last year and the bars that are in the area. Personally, I wouldn't get an apartment that close to campus because of the price--they tend to be more expensive (most are lofts, actually). I'd start looking for housing a couple of blocks away, really. There's an extension of our public transit (called the RTA) called the Heathline that runs directly down Euclid Ave from a bus station in East Cleveland (which is a crap hole, honestly. East Cleveland, not the bus station) to Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland Clinic, University Hospital, Severance Hall, Cleveland State all the way to the heart of downtown, Public Square. It is very convenient.

While there is ample parking at CSU (if you look for it) it is expensive. Upwards of $150 a term (that is the summer rate, spring and fall are much higher) or $6.00 at a garage. The rates off campus are much higher. I'd stick to taking the bus since CSU students ride "free" ($25 is added to your tuition bill every term. But it's cheaper than paying directly through the RTA).

Like I said, I don't think the housing option are awful, especially on a student's budget. But there are a wide variety of option in Cleveland. Cleveland Heights and Lyndurhurst aren't far but the housing there is of a higher quality but significantly pricier. Plus, CSU has recently bought quite a bit of property to start constructing their own non-dormitory apartment complexes.

I am considering Cleveland State. Is the area directly surrounding the school dangerous or should I be looking for housing somewhere else?

I'm from Cleveland and I did my undergrad at CSU. I lived elsewhere for a few years, but I believe it's only gotten even better since I left. Cleveland is great. CSU is located downtown, and though I would consider the area safe, I do know of a number of people who had their cars broken into around campus. Just keep expensive things out of sight in the car as you would anywhere else and you'll probably be okay.

I wouldn't suggesting living in the CSU area unless you're going to live in the dorms. Many of the apartments are overpriced, especially given how lackluster the downtown area is. It has been revitalized over the past few years, with the area around Tower City (about 20 blocks from CSU - 10-15 minute walk, 4 minutes on the free trolley) especially so. A casino just opened, and there are a number of nice restaurants and bars, while Tower City is a full mall with movie theater and restaurants. I lived in the old CSU dorms for one year and I liked it, but I wish there had been more to do. If you want to be close to the school without living downtown, Tremont and Ohio City can be great. I'd also suggest the Clifton area or the city of Lakewood, which are both on the West side but relatively close as you can take the shoreway downtown. Where is the love for the West side on this thread? As others have suggested, good spots on the East side include Little Italy, Cleveland Heights, and South Euclid. East Cleveland and Cleveland east of E55th are the areas usually cited as the most dangerous in Cleveland, but many people live there and get by. Crime has gone down there by quite a lot in the past few years in these areas. I would not, however, suggest living there unless you check out the area first and are comfortable with it. Most people with other options don't end up living there.

Anyway, you CAN live downtown. It's not especially dangerous. It just doesn't really feel like a "place people live," though many certainly do. You'll notice that many of the cheaper restaurants cater to students and business people, and they will close early and may be completely closed on weekends. One of my favorite lunch spots, Tea House Noodles (http://teahousenoodlescleveland.com/), is only open until 8p and closes on weekends. The restaurants inside of the old Arcade (http://theclevelanda.../content/dining) close even earlier. There WAS a single grocery store hiding in the Reserve Square apartment building (which is still a good place to live downtown), but it closed a few years ago. I think it was replaced with a convenience store, though. Unfortunately, this means there isn't much grocery shopping downtown at all. The closest places are Constantino's Market in the Warehouse District (a bit west of Tower City) and probably Dave's at Payne and E30-something, but there's a good 40 blocks in between those places. When I was at CSU a few years back, there was a new weekly farmer's market with produce and bread and a few other things.

Anyway - Cleveland is a great choice. I suggest visiting and checking out the area before you make any decisions about where you'll live, though. More data here, including breakdowns of neighborhoods: http://www.city-data...eland-Ohio.html

You can also check out these great videos that explain your new home in detail :)

Edited by asleepawake