History Admissions 2009

Cornell07

Oh wow. Unlucky 13 for Penn applicants... wow. Did Penn put this down on purpose? I don't think Ben Franklin would've liked it given that he lived in the 13 colonies.

Enough of history nerdiness :) Really, I feel your pain.

Congrats to the Chinese history person- what a day... especially if this was the same person who got accepted by UCLA but rejected by Harvard! Weird!

I got accepted to the MA program at Simon Fraser University today. The offer is not very good though ($10,500 to live on in Vancouver). I'm the one man updater on Canadian history MA programs.

Congrats! And welcome, too! I am sure future applicants will appreciate your contributions. :)

Riss,

Actually Temple did something similar when I applied this fall. They decided to use a new application system, so it appeared as though my application was missing. I applied very early, so I don't think they were expecting that. I freaked out when I saw that my application was missing. I called the school, and as it turned out, they did have my info and record of the application. I would definately give them a call--it might just turn out the same for you. I sure hope it does.

Louiselab

Re: Penn... My rejection was also posted there hours before I received an email telling me to check my application status online.

If you haven't heard anything, then that might be a good sign. Here's a few positive vibes ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*. :D

Thanks for the positive vibes...haha...I and everyone else on here probably needs them right about now! :)

I completed my application for Temple Nov 13th with my paper materials received on Nov 17th. The applyyourself page was finally updated to show that all my materials were received on Jan 9th, but they never finished updating my Temple Portal page. Is this going to be a probelm? Should I call and check up on it next week? Do you think its a problem that the applyyourself page shows my application completed on Jan 9th?

This whole process is making me paranoid! LOL!

Nikki,

I applied to Temple in October, so pretty much around the same time frame that you did. I used their old online system. When they updated, there was "no record" of my application and I couldn't log back in after a certain date, but it was actually still there. They did the same thing to me before--did not post accurate dates for receipt of my materials (I sent them in Nov.--they had Jan dates) or indicate that they had received them at all (when, in fact, they had). I would suggest calling the dept. secretary if it will put your mind at ease.

A little late for the party :oops:

I received a personal email from my professor on Feb. 10th telling me that I had been accepted into Berkeley. I didn't receive official notice until I checked my spam filter.

It's always a party in Dwinelle Hall. Congrats on the acceptance. What is your area of interest? Are you seriously considering Berkeley?

A little late for the party :oops:

I received a personal email from my professor on Feb. 10th telling me that I had been accepted into Berkeley. I didn't receive official notice until I checked my spam filter.

I completed my application for Temple Nov 13th with my paper materials received on Nov 17th. The applyyourself page was finally updated to show that all my materials were received on Jan 9th, but they never finished updating my Temple Portal page. Is this going to be a probelm? Should I call and check up on it next week? Do you think its a problem that the applyyourself page shows my application completed on Jan 9th?

This whole process is making me paranoid! LOL!

I don't know if I'd worry about it too much. It doesn't seem like the web stuff is a high priority at Temple.

I applied to Temple too. My transcript was missing, and they were nice enough to let me know.

They allow me to send them the transcript even it was after the deadline.

So, I would not worry about Temple application. If they find out some problems with your application, I think they would have informed you.

I suppose that no one is expecting any news today, since it's Presidents' Day. Right?

I'm not sure what to think. My school, and all public universities in my state, are running on a normal schedule. I have no idea if this is the case elsewhere...

It's always a party in Dwinelle Hall. Congrats on the acceptance. What is your area of interest? Are you seriously considering Berkeley?

Hi,

Berkeley is just down the road from me and I match up well with my advisor, so it is a perfect fit for me. I will be in an Asian field, but I'd prefer not to blow my cover. Congrats on your acceptance, also!

Hi,

Berkeley is just down the road from me and I match up well with my advisor, so it is a perfect fit for me. I will be in an Asian field, but I'd prefer not to blow my cover. Congrats on your acceptance, also!

I lived in SF for a few years and I would love to be back in the Bay Area. But I am still waiting to hear back from a few others programs before I make a final decision.

Is anyone anticipating the new NRC rankings? Rumors circulating the net suggest a mid-Feb. release date. They've been delayed so many times in the past few years that I will be shocked if they appear in the next few days. Which programs will rise and which will fall?

I got accepted to the MA program at Simon Fraser University today. The offer is not very good though ($10,500 to live on in Vancouver). I'm the one man updater on Canadian history MA programs.

Congrats! I too was just accepted to the MA program at SFU; it's nice to see someone else on here. While the $10.5k isn't amazing, they do have some internal scholarships on top of that, and you can live in Burnaby/East Vancouver fairly cheaply. Did you apply for SSHRC funding too?

Any speculations with regards to the lull over the past couple of days with regards to history decisions?

Seems like it's been universally quiet with the holiday weekend and not just with respect to history admissions, but at the same time there do seem to be a lot of history programs that haven't yet issued any decisions. I can only imagine that some schools are delaying announcements to a later than usual date in an effort to be as fully informed as possible about the state of department budgets for next year. Many university administrations are piecing together that picture right now.

Any speculations with regards to the lull over the past couple of days with regards to history decisions?

Most schools didn't want to reject a lot of applicants on Friday the thirteenth. Then there was the weekend. Then Monday was a federal holiday. And now the schools have a difficult problem: they can admit fewer people this year, because of the economic downturn, but because of the economic downturn, people are more likely to accept any offer. So schools are having a hard time making decisions.

Completely uninformed, but that's my guess.