2009 Application: Religion-Theology-Philosophy of Religion

demondeac

I'm getting ready for Vandy and Chicago on the 15th and am really having second thoughts on Vandy. My original inspiration in applying there is that they have a few people who sound conversant in psychoanalytic critiques of culture (Volney Gay and a Lit Crit guy who's name I can't remember). Problem is, I'm interested in that stuff in so far as it feeds into a constructive Christian theology, and I'm not so sure that they are. I can't/don't want to obfuscate that point in my application.

In speaking with the Vandy faculty, it's a very interesting blend of different interests. My interests are similar to yours in the sense of continental philosophy being an important resource for Christian theology (though I'm not as well versed in the psychoanalytic forms like Lacan), yet several of the faculty are more what I would call "old-school"/confessional/dogmatic/systematic theologians that seems to be a less viable approach (based on publications, young faculty, and AAR sessions). One of the faculty asked what my methodology was...I was a little taken back that we were about to lay out a systematic theology right there in his office! That's not to say I'm naive about not having a methodology (in some senses of the word) but in others (esp. Gadamer's critique of methodological hermeneutics) it reflects a Christian tradition that is literally frozen in its early twentieth-century resistance to any resource outside the Christian tradition (human and natural sciences, philosophy, etc.). Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now :roll:

Just submitted Vandy, time to get on Chicago like a corrupt Governor...

I feel like you're all basically WAYYY ahead of me in submitting app's, even though my earliest deadline is Jan. 1. I have a phone call with a prof from Drew today and then will hopefully finish my statement for them and send that on it's way--assuming my references all arrive by then...I'm missing one professor's rec letters and am super worried because this is one person who I STRUGGLED to get to reply to email. AND I'm leaving town next week so if they don't arrive before I leave, I'm up a creek.

Let the super-stressed-out-I-can't-even-think-about-Christmas time begin!

I have one last recommender who will not get his letters out literally until the day they are due when I call and ask. I gave him the packet of organized letters (stamped addressed envelopes attached to each form) in September. What can I say, academics live up to their reputation as the "absent-minded" professors!

Are there any procrastinators out there who were frantically throwing things together last night? Not that I was, just wondering :roll: .

Absolutely. Hey, I got it in under the deadline, and that's what counts. Ooooh, anyone want to rate my chances for Chicago MA program? Here are my stats:

UG Theology major, have taken graduate classes in theology.

Really solid recs from profs who know me well, one of whom is a "name."

Have spoken to two professors I'd like to work with at Chicago, one of whom is, again, a "name."

3.7 GPA.

GRE v. 750 q. 550

Some honors and things.

A pretty solidly good personal statement--I love writing things like that, and I have what I'm continuously told is an "interesting background."

Is that math GRE, or my not-amazing GPA going to knock me out of the running?

Retiredwaif,

I think that your creditials are very good and you should stand a good chance. Your GPA will be considered based on the university you attend and the GRE scores seem fine. Keep in mind that the Divinity School receives 100's of applications each year and that the entire process of getting into any school is somewhat of a crap shot. As a current student at the Divinity School I'd love to know what your interests are and who the "name" is you'd like to work with.

Good luck and try to stay calm!

Hi,

I am planning to apply to several graduate programs in religion. Can anyone pls advise what "tier" these programs are in? How does one access their ranking? I tried Phds.org, but I am not sure of which criteria to use.

Brown

Columbia

Harvard

UCSB

UVA

Thanks!

Linkslife,

I too looked all over the net for rankings info, and concluded that no meaningful published rankings exist (but if someone knows otherwise, please inform!). Asking your current profs seems like the most dependable way to get a useful answer, and of course it will depend on your subfield. Without knowing that, my impression is that the schools you listed are all top tier or close to it, whatever that may mean - but of course, those are just impressions :)

I'm not aware of a standard rating system that has any respect within the field. It would all come down to your sub-field and who is at each department within your subfield. R.R. Reno published his own list on First Things a year or two back (available from their website), it's largely interesting because it indicates how variable "rankings" will be from professor to professor, and at the end of the day that's who will (hopefully) be giving us all jobs one day. I don't now squat about UCSB but all the others are highly respected from what I've picked up on. It still all comes down to a correspondence between their faculties' interests and your interests. Look at who is publishing what. Asking proffs is good if your interests closely match. If not, you should know more about the programs you're applying to than they do (at least if your putting in for the Ph.D.).

• 3 weeks later...

Last I heard the National Research Council was set for publishing its updated PhD program rankings, including religion programs, around April 2009. Just in time to be completely irrelevant to all our use for this year's apps :D . I was able to find this highly irrelevant list from the last one in 1995, but I thought I'd post it as I have to do something other than be completely neurotic about waiting on PhD apps. Here' the link:

http://www2.kenyon.edu/Depts/Religion/Major/PhDprograms.htm

So I'm looking for crappy work while I finish my thesis, and if the absence of even the most demeaning jobs is any indication, the economy is in a world of hurt. When a Bachelors in Business Administration and real management experience can't get you a job whose sole requirement is a high school diploma, I can only hope that PhDland becomes a real possibility.

Speaking of Yale, does anyone know how competitive the (concentrated) MAR program is? I applied because I would love an opportunity to work with textual criticism more before going into a Ph.D., but I'm also worried that I won't get in since I already have an M.A., though I want to improve my Greek and acquire new languages.

Thoughts about the program? I hate that notifications don't go out until March 15th :lol:

I went to Yale's open house, what seems to be the case is that the concentrated MAR is more difficult to get into than the comprehensive MAR.

That said, their overall admit rate is about 55-67% depending on the year (goto yale web and search YDS by the numbers) an the adcomm said their average entering gpa was about a B+, so if your UG is strong and your masters is in a related field I would imagine you have a very good chance of making the concentrated MAR (which is probably what you would want if you already have an MA and want to focus on Greek and biblical texts).

Just sent my application a few days ago, application checklist went complete today.

I think (supposing I am one of the lucky roughly 50%) that it is going to be a matter of funding for me. I broke down the numbers and roughly 10% of entering M.A.Rs (5 out of roughly 50 entering) get the marquand (full tuition + 5k stipend :D ) and roughly 10 of M.Divs (8 out of 70-80 entering) get either a marquand or a nickerson (full tuition + 2.5k). There are also other full tuition awards that seemed more specialized (Forman, Sengal, Teh Sie), So I imagine at the end of the day roughly 10-15% get a free ride with stipend. Adcomms also indicated the average fin aid package was about 80% of tuition.

Little obsessed with Yale as it is my first choice...

I'm getting ready to send in my application for a concentrated MAR at Yale, and I'd appreciate someone in the know ballparking my chances:

undergrad Classics major, have studied Latin & Greek for 4 years. Hebrew for 2

Great recommendations, on of whom is a Cambridge prof. with whom I did a supervision two summers ago

Have spoken to a Yale professor I'd like to work with

3.35 GPA.

GRE v. 750 q. 660 a.w. 5.5

3 yrs of experience as research assistant

Research grant

Two publications in student journals.

I'm a very good writer, so I don't expect the presonal statement or essay to be a problem, but I am uncomfortable with my GPA. Will it hurt or will other things make up for it?

I'm also applying for MTS at Harvard, Notre Dame, and Emory, and an MA at GTU.

I'd say if the "average" is a B+, your 3.35 falls right in line with that. You seem to be a pretty solid candidate, in my opinion and your GREs definitely can help even out your GPA (if that is your concern). I can't imagine a more qualified candidate, but who knows how these things play out, eh?

I'm applying for the Concentrated MAR in Biblical Studies, and my profile is...

M.A. Jewish Studies (concentration Hebrew Bible) - 3.7

B.A. English, B.A. Religion - 2.7 (I worked full-time and double-majored. Ridiculous on my part)

GRE - v. 590, q. 600 AW - 4.5

Languages:

Hebrew - Modern (2 years), Biblical (incredibly proficient...), Mishnaic

Akkadian - 1 year (audit at Harvard)

Aramaic - 1 semester

German - 1 year

Greek (Attic) - 1 Year

My recs are 1) from my M.A. Adviser 2) from a Harvard lecturer 3) from a past-president of SBL / ASOR

Taught Pentateuch (upper-division) and Eng.101 at a small (~2000 students) liberal arts college

Participated in archaeology dig in Israel this past summer

Am presenting a paper at Trinity College in Ireland this February

---

I really just want to improve my Greek and do textual criticism. Sigh. I really want this, but I imagine that a 50% acceptance rate means just choosing from an applicant pool of ridiculously overqualified people like yourself. March 15th can't get here soon enough.

spock&kirk,

If you're applying to one of the language-intensive subfields, then I think you're all set. When I applied for MTS/MARs at some of the schools you mentioned, I had much less language background (and a lower GRE), and I did very well with applications. I also found that most MTS students in my subfield had similar or less language background when they began the program. I'm not saying it's a simple 1:1 correspondence between languages and acceptance, but - well, maybe it is? For the masters anyway. In any case, if the written parts of your application are in order, I think you will do well.

Wow.... you guys are scaring me with the language backgrounds...

Going for M.Div

GPA 3.82/4 (Philosophy and Mathematics)

ECs at church and school (elected positions)

senior thesis / honors program in philosophy.

P.B.K

Didnt Submit GREs

1 year of German.... even though I did well in it I think I'd prefer to take up a different language in Grad school... Hebrew or Arabic probably

Hoping the lack of languages doesnt hurt me (not intending on going on for doctorate immediately after M.Div)

Anyone got Questions let me know.