Public/Intl Affairs/Relations/Policy Fall 2009

Dreams

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the congratulations, and good luck with your Fletcher application mags. Where else are you considering?

Someone on the results forum asked that I make a post here telling when I submitted my application. I submitted it a few weeks before the deadline, sometime around December 20th. Hope that helps.

EDIT:

sloth - I'm studying Spanish here.. Right now I only know a second language that's spoken by about 10 million people. I figured if I'm serious about a career in development, it's time to pick up a more widely spoken language.

Congrats younglions! You're stats are pretty impressive, and it's good to see the ad coms think so too. I'd guess the early admit will translate to big dollars.

On a side note, the DC MPP programs really jumped the gun. This has a long week with absolutely zero news. If this keeps up much longer, I'm going to have to stop refreshing my email every 45 seconds. :wink:

"While the majority of our applicants will not be notified until late March, the Committee was so impressed with your credentials that we wanted to relay the good news as soon as possible...

The Admissions Office will send you a large packet of enrollment information in late March. If you applied for scholarship aid from Fletcher, you will be notified of the decision on your scholarship application at that time."

Wowzers! That's one heck of a letter!

Younglions,

If I remember correctly, you're a returned Peace Corps Vol, right? I am too, just back from Central America. I can't really get a sense as to whether PC service is a) hugely positive B) mediocre or c) a non-issue in terms of its impact on our admissions chances at a given institution. I suppose it has everything to do with how you spin it in your SOP. What are your thoughts, now that you have that glowing letter under your proverbial belt?

I think it really depends on what you do with your PC service. In my Eastern European country of service, a third of the volunteers did very little, a third did a reasonable amount, and a third accomplished a great deal. Unfortunately, in the PC "accomplishment" depends on a lot more than personal initiative. I was lucky enough to get an assignment where a great deal could be accomplished, and I had the personal initiative to get it done (excluding some periods in the frozen winters). Hopefully that came through in my personal statements. On the other hand, a PCV who spends all his/her time on non-development/international cooperation related issues might not get much of a boost.

I do know that a few programs specifically list Peace Corps service as a quality they appreciate in applicants, and many have scholarships targeted directly at RPCVS. If they have the scholarships, it only makes sense that they feel we contribute something to their programs.

anyone here was informed by Denver U about PHD admissions of international studies??? Some master applicants got admissions by late January. But my admission (PHD) still shows "not available". Is that a bad sign of my admission? Thanks

aaah, someone got rejected for the PhD at GWU! Still no status on mine... I guess that's a good thing!

my thoughts exactly! Two people posted rejections on the 13th. I just checked my status and it says under review so i m going to take that as a good sign. i hadn't planned on hearing anything for two more weeks.

Congratulations Younglions. Nice Letter, if they are as generous with their funds as they are with their compliments, you should be set.

Also congrats is due to plate or platter, in the public policy program at the University of Maryland applications are up 38% this year.

The public policy school, for example, has seen a 38 percent increase in applications. Officials at the school, which only offers graduate degrees, are unsure of whether the spike is due to the economy or what they're calling the "Obama effect."

http://media.www.diamondbackonline.com/ ... 3439.shtml

Just got my letter from UMD today! Got admitted with an assistanceship for both years as long as I maintain good academics. Essentially I get tuition remission (not full) but what is left over gets covered by a stipend. I also get medical benefits. I'm excited!

I'm still waiting on funding from GWU. But, I hope this is a good sign!

Just got my letter from UMD today! Got admitted with an assistanceship for both years as long as I maintain good academics. Essentially I get tuition remission (not full) but what is left over gets covered by a stipend. I also get medical benefits. I'm excited!

I'm still waiting on funding from GWU. But, I hope this is a good sign!

Wow! Congratulations, traveler. I can only assume the holdup with our GW packages involves the school putting together our massive funding offers. :D

I applied to that program too...but have not heard anything yet..ill keep you posted salman

Hey everyone,

I know the wait is def a pain. lol

ANyone heard of NYU- Masters in Global Affairs- I dont know what to think of it. Ive been getting materials from them but I dont know much about the program. ANY thing you know would be GREATLY appreciated.

Good luck everyone!

Thanks in advance.

Two or three days after Jan 28 my applyyourself changed. It now says under Submission Status "CCAS4-A decision on your application has been made." and a new line at the bottom of the page has appeared "Decision Status" which i can click to read an unofficial decision letter.

My status finally changed to "CCAS4-A decision on your application has been made," but there's no "decision status" link. Grrrrr...

Did anyone else receive the email about the GW admitted students day? I hope we receive info about the GPPI visit day before too long so we can coordinate. I think GW wanted an RSVP by March 6.

My status finally changed to "CCAS4-A decision on your application has been made," but there's no "decision status" link. Grrrrr...

Did anyone else receive the email about the GW admitted students day? I hope we receive info about the GPPI visit day before too long so we can coordinate. I think GW wanted an RSVP by March 6.

I'm in the same boat. It says a decision was made but I'm not able to link to any letter.