Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

man this thread is kind of dangerous. i was hoping to just get information about dates and so forth... not the stats of other strong applicants and descriptions of the components of other strong applications, which will inevitably stress everyone out! it seems to me that the applications have already been reviewed and that it doesn't really matter what kind of affiliation you had at this point. i've certainly been guilty of these kinds of contributions myself, but i can't say that they're very constructive at all - knowing -or at least being led to suspect- that person X has an affiliation/recommendation/statement of purpose that trumps person Y's isn't really going to make this wait any easier, and it certainly isn't going to in some way enhance either application.

sorry! i guess it's time for me to use google's stayfocused to block gradcafe for a while!

I have two universities as my affiliations (one in Florence and one in Milan), but the supervision offered by my "sponsors" (two professors) is really on an "as needed" basis. I think (hope) the committees will take the individual projects into consideration when they look at the affiliations, as a history project requiring archival research and minimal supervision is vastly different than a science project requiring the use of lab space. At least for my project, close supervision will be more of a hindrance than a help.

I'm hoping the same thing. Mine are also on a "need" basis and very short. Now I'm thinking they aren't strong at all. and I'm really surprised that most people do have more than one affiliation even though they only ask for one... or maybe that's just people on this forum? either way, I thought having two would make my application stronger but it almost seems the norm.

man this thread is kind of dangerous. i was hoping to just get information about dates and so forth... not the stats of other strong applicants and descriptions of the components of other strong applications, which will inevitably stress everyone out! it seems to me that the applications have already been reviewed and that it doesn't really matter what kind of affiliation you had at this point. i've certainly been guilty of these kinds of contributions myself, but i can't say that they're very constructive at all - knowing -or at least being led to suspect- that person X has an affiliation/recommendation/statement of purpose that trumps person Y's isn't really going to make this wait any easier, and it certainly isn't going to in some way enhance either application.

this!!

@molly, the FPA's arent even supposed to tell us what they know, so I dont know why they find out before we do.

@biomed2012 wow 10 years... i've been trying to hold on to that same mentality, but its so hard. someone in a previous fulbright thread linked this article, http://www.karolinkabulgaria.com/2008/09/14/fulbright-applications/

it pretty much describes my feelings, and i bet a ton of other people feel the same!

anyway, how is everyone trying to keep their minds occupied? im doing a really bad job at staying away from gradcafe and gmail. And reading current ETA blogs are not helping!!!

this!!

sorry! i guess it's time for me to use google's stayfocused to block gradcafe for a while!

i don't know if i necessarily agree with these sentiments. i think we are all pretty supportive of each other and it doesn't feel as if anyone is trying to show off or compete with another forum member. most of us aren't even applying to the same country and therefore aren't even in competition with one another. those that are in the same country are applying for different grants (eta vs. full) and again aren't in competition.

as the first round of waiting draws to a close i think we are getting more and more restless. tossing around our affiliations, information, wishes, etc. certainly helps to pass the time and give us something to preoccupy ourselves with. personally, i think its pretty nice to have a group of intelligent anonymous individuals to freak out with. it makes me feel just a little less crazy.

Hi all -

I'm a little late to the game, but just wanted to say how impressed I am with all of your stats! I know that isn't the purpose of this forum, but I can only sympathize with the Fulbright committee; it must be hard to select only a handful of such qualified applicants.

I'm an ETA applicant to Russia myself. Not holding out much hope, as I was passed over for the CLS (Critical Language Scholarship) to Russia just last week, and I had only one week to work on my Fulbright application before submitting it (a very long story that involves being out of the country/contact for six months). However, seeing how much work so many people put into their applications, I think I won't feel as bad when I'm passed over for someone more qualified. Good luck to all, and hoping to hear from IIE soon!

Anyway, this is probably really depressing but I've come to the point where I almost cherish these final moments before any type of "elimination-round" because at least I still have the fantasy of success :-) Right now, I can still daydream about the awesome research project and fantastic horizon-broadening experiences to be had. I can still hope for the best and think of the possibilities. So, I guess what I'm getting at is that as horrible as the waiting is, I've learned that in the "sometimes-ya-win-sometimes-ya-lose" scenario, after the decisions are handed out you no longer have the luxury of curiosity. right now, this agonizing waiting is the middle ground. You know nothing, but you can still hope.

Yeah... even our professors "lose" on national awards. On the NSF Grad Research Fellowship forum, I've heard the longer you stay in grad school the more used to rejection you get. There's likely a dissertation there on persistence, resilience and coping strategies among graduate students. Hmmmm....

I actually feel really bad for FPAs. Mine told me already that he wouldn't tell me beforehand because he's not supposed to and that he hates it. So- to answer another's question- I'll be spending a great deal of my brain power on figuring out ways of not speaking to a professor I see everyday to avoid an awkward/stressful/guilt-ridden moment on his end. Figure it's the least I can do :-P

On the NSF Grad Research Fellowship forum, I've heard the longer you stay in grad school the more used to rejection you get. There's likely a dissertation there on persistence, resilience and coping strategies among graduate students. Hmmmm....

Do it!

Hey all, I'm a full grant applicant to Lithuania. I registered this morning to thank those of you that obtained more information about contact dates and to commiserate - the wait is making me crazy! If I understand the last few pages correctly, the general consensus seems to be that we can reasonably expect to receive our e-mails this Friday?

Hello Everyone,

After reading all the post here I think we all can agree on one thing... This waiting game is the worst; and as the date gets closer the wait is getting even worst. I stubbed upon this sight in a Google search. It has given me much comfort to find people endlessly waiting like me. Recently, our advisers sent everyone an e-mail stating that some applicants have received notification from the US embassy and or the Fulbright Commission in their country. The adviser also stated that notifications are not official until they come from IIE. Our adviser wanted us to let them know when we are notified because they won't know before we do. (until later) My question is: Are letters sent out to everyone on the same day or does it go by school, program applied for, geographical location applied for? Another question I have if anyone can answer is: When is the earliest we are going to be notified?

@vordhosbntwin: Regarding your statement of this being dangerous... I don't agree. Everyone here is experiencing the same worry and nervousness. We are all in this together. Of course people may talk about their applications in detail... What else are we going to talk about? We are looking for anything to give us a sense of hope and remove doubt in our minds about our applications. Yes, I will admit this may scare others... i.e. I was one of them for a bit when I heard some people have been working on their applications for many years... It can be intimidating, however, we are all the same. Waiting impatiently, endlessly, and feeling like the weeks and days are the slowest we have ever experienced in LIFE!!! But I am confident that WE all will get through this ESPECIALLY at the end of the month and or when people are starting to be notified.

Good Luck to Everyone! I can't wait to hear from everyone good or bad!!!

**The fact we have made it to this point speaks volumes**

well, if reading this stuff really makes things easier for some of you, have at it. i just don't think that fueling my own terror about my application by participating in a message board pissing contest is going to help me with my application. i think it can be very constructive to discuss our projects and so on, but obsessing about applications that have been submitted and reviewed doesn't seem to be that healthy. of course i've done all of these things; i'm just sayin'.

When the survey came around, I wrote that I wish they had more information available to the arts applicants. I had been/have been reading contradictory things online, one blog even mentioning that in the initial review, the screening committee for each art area ONLY viewed the portfolio and nothing else, not even the proposal or affiliations.

I wish the official Fulbright website offered more information about the committee review and criteria. Or at least address if the all components of the arts application are taken into consideration in each round.

Did anyone have any better luck obtaining information about this?

Well I know I'm obsessing. And pissing. Have to get rid of that waste from all my obsessive drinking somehow, right?

People have been asking me, so I thought I would ask others, too: even if you don't get the Fulbright, would you still find a way to get to your country in the next few years?

Recently, our advisers sent everyone an e-mail stating that some applicants have received notification from the US embassy and or the Fulbright Commission in their country.

Oh dear... on top of checking my inbox relentlessly, I will now be checking my Junk mail.

**The fact we have made it to this point speaks volumes**

Here here!

Think there's the faintest chance we'll hear tomorrow? Or am I being insanely over-optimistic? B)

Given that it is MLK day I'm going to guess not, federal holiday and all.

So I'm not over-optimistic -- I am a moron. Cleeeearly FB material. ;)

How on earth could I forget a holiday??

It's ok, I didn't realize it until I asked about my Monday hours at work and my boss looked at me incredulously and reminded me about it.

Maybe there's a chance we could hear on Tuesday? I don't want to wait any more. If I am a finalist, I don't know how I will wait until potentially JUNE for the final selection...

It's ok, I didn't realize it until I asked about my Monday hours at work and my boss looked at me incredulously and reminded me about it.

Maybe there's a chance we could hear on Tuesday? I don't want to wait any more. If I am a finalist, I don't know how I will wait until potentially JUNE for the final selection...

You know something... I never thought about that!?!? I think that wait would be even worst than the one we are waiting on now... :( Oh brother!

Oh gosh. I haven't posted in a while - but I am an ETA to Costa Rica, and last year they gave out two grants for Costa Rica...ETA grants. I really hope we find out something soon.

As far as Plan B - I will return to Costa Rica nonetheless. I studied there for six months and like the other user who posted about having to do the application in a week (I think I had a little over a month), that made everything all the more stressful. I have no special qualifications other than the fact I speak Spanish and have a TEFL Certificate. I hope it helps me rather than hurts me that I've been to Costa Rica already...but I just don't know anymore.

When the survey came around, I wrote that I wish they had more information available to the arts applicants. I had been/have been reading contradictory things online, one blog even mentioning that in the initial review, the screening committee for each art area ONLY viewed the portfolio and nothing else, not even the proposal or affiliations.

I wish the official Fulbright website offered more information about the committee review and criteria. Or at least address if the all components of the arts application are taken into consideration in each round.

Did anyone have any better luck obtaining information about this?

this is incorrect, at least i immensely hope so. from my understanding, and information garnered from my school's fulbright panel and lengthy conversations with past recipients in the arts, the committee in new york looks at all aspects equally with heavier emphasis on the affiliations and the portfolio. the specific country commissions rely on the new york branch to review the portfolios for them because they are not sent along with the applications unless formally requested for whatever reason. they applications are transmitted digitally and all supporting materials (with the exception of music) are kept at the new york offices.

Edited by waveaflag