Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

also i should say that this process is causing physical repercussions for me now. i can't stop grinding my teeth in my sleep! i'm waking up with enormous headaches.

Oh my, I didn't think of that either. I think that wait would kill me lol

I think we all can agree... the wait in the final round is much worst... So be prepared now!

I hope you don't make yourself too sick!

Recently, our advisers sent everyone an e-mail stating that some applicants have received notification from the US embassy and or the Fulbright Commission in their country. The adviser also stated that notifications are not official until they come from IIE.

This was the case for me last year. I got a cryptic email from the embassy in-country nearly a week prior to the official email from IIE.

Edited by Jahiliyya

A friend of mine told me that he's pretty sure he received his e-mail on a Thursday last year, so there's hope for an earlier notification!

you're right last year they heard the evening of jan 20th a thursday

Marcello, lol tomorrow, I doubt it... it would be nice though

this is incorrect, at least i immensely hope so. from my understanding, and information garnered from my school's fulbright panel and lengthy conversations with past recipients in the arts, the committee in new york looks at all aspects equally with heavier emphasis on the affiliations and the portfolio. the specific country commissions rely on the new york branch to review the portfolios for them because they are not sent along with the applications unless formally requested for whatever reason. they applications are transmitted digitally and all supporting materials (with the exception of music) are kept at the new york offices.

@waveaflag Thank you! That makes me feel a little better. I might have misread the blog or the author might have not stated it clearly, but it makes sense what you said - that the screening committee in the arts would pay particular attention to the portfolio if the portfolio is not send along to the host country for consideration. Either way, I would hate to think that the work I put into crafting the proposal and securing the affiliations was not even considered in the first round. Thank you again for the clarification, I'm an at-large applicant so any info I can get is appreciated!

Here's the quote from the blog of a former grantee (a personal, unaffiliated blog) which sent me into a (slight) panic: "Generally, the selection process has two parts. First, your proposal must be approved by the American Fulbright selection committee and then by the selection committee in the country you apply to. What surprised me was the American side rates your proposal based solely on your work sample while the country you apply to may or may not see the sample and bases their decision on your written proposal. (This was the case for me.) I mention this to show that both are equally important so take great care while working on all aspects of your application."

Another question...is anyone applying for the Austrian Teaching Assistantship as well? How competitive is it? I just sent my application off last week and am already anxious....haha.

I also mailed my application for the Austria USTA. I think I saw somewhere that there were 80 positions available last year, but I can't for the life of me remember where I found that data. I couldn't find out how many people applied, though. I somehow get the feeling that it may be a little less competitive than Germany, simply because it is not an official Fulbright grant (though it's Fulbright funded and we mailed our applications to the commission...but whatever) and thus fewer people know about it or it is viewed as less prestigious. That's just my thoughts, though.

@Molly, do you know if there's any kind of initial notification process for Austria? Will they let us know if they received our applications? Or do we just wait until we hear in the spring whether we've gotten it or not? Also, for your resume, did you send an American-style one, or a "Lebenslauf"? I went back and forth about it a lot but ended up sending an American resume since I completed my application and personal statement in English.

Wouldn't that be fantastic to get it over with so soon, regardless of the results. Thursday is the 19th though -- that is really early. Fingers crossed, anyway. :) I don't suppose there's any hope for tomorrow...right??

Tomorrow would be awesome but that's probably just wishful thinking. It will most likely be Thursday or Friday :(

Tomorrow would be awesome but that's probably just wishful thinking. It will most likely be Thursday or Friday :(

How are these notifications given? Are we going to be notified all on the same day? OR Will it be by school and or countries we applied? I have this strange feeling it will go by program i.e. ETA, Research etc and whether you are a undergraduate or a graduate school... I don't think that everyone will get their letter on the same day...

i realized today that my fear is not stemming from whether or not i get the grant. that is totally out of my hands. rather, my fear comes from the fact that if i don't get it i have no idea of what to do once i graduate in may. art students don't exactly get jobs right after graduation. the uncertainty is what's killing me. not the fear of rejection.

i realized today that my fear is not stemming from whether or not i get the grant. that is totally out of my hands. rather, my fear comes from the fact that if i don't get it i have no idea of what to do once i graduate in may. art students don't exactly get jobs right after graduation. the uncertainty is what's killing me. not the fear of rejection.

Quite to the contrary, you'll likely be fine:

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2011/05/03/graduates_of_arts_programs_fare_better_in_job_market_than_assumed

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-06/postrel-how-art-history-majors-power-the-u-s-.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/post/how-art-history-majors-power-the-us-economy/2012/01/06/gIQAUv36hP_blog.html

: )

Anyone else having dreams about it that wake you in the night?

No, I'm not quite that bad... I hope I don't get that bad...

So I guess the countdown begins?!?! I was reading the Fulbright forum for this time last year... The notification date was moved to Jan. 24 and then later to Jan 20. Do you think they will do that this year? I also read that the advisers are notified a day before we are... unfortunately, they can't tell us of our status... So if we were going by what happened to them last year... Thursday is our day!!! Jan 19!?!?!

Another question...is anyone applying for the Austrian Teaching Assistantship as well? How competitive is it? I just sent my application off last week and am already anxious....haha.

I applied for this as well as the ETA Germany. I hope its higher than Germany since the application seemed a bit more old school (non-internet). Either way, good luck!

And is anyone else besides me feeling faint when thinking about it? I just want to know already. This limbo feels like it will last an eternity.

@ lkjl2007- I ended up writing my proposal in German and turning in the Lebenslauf in German as well. Hoping that will give me some sort of edge. I'd really love to teach English in Salzburg. What city did you request?

Anyone else checking their e-mail incessently today? I sort of hoped they'd send us the results today *blush*. Dare to dream... I won't be able to sleep until I know whether or not I made it to the next round! Good or bad news....it doesn't matter! I'd rather know now.

If anyone has any updates please post them here for the rest of us! Thanks!

Edited by Molly Rowland

Would also be interested to know what qualifications other students have that are applying for the ETA in Germany. I am currently in grad school studying German, so I obviously can prove a certain level of fluency. I am actually more worried about my lack of teaching experience. It's mostly been through tutoring and babysitting, although I have subbed for college-level German classes a couple of times. What about the rest of you?

How are these notifications given? Are we going to be notified all on the same day? OR Will it be by school and or countries we applied? I have this strange feeling it will go by program i.e. ETA, Research etc and whether you are a undergraduate or a graduate school... I don't think that everyone will get their letter on the same day...

From what I understand from previous years, you are notified via email and they send them out en mass to all applicants. So yes, we're all notified at the same time.