Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

Just got this email from my FPA from my university everyone!

Dear students,

I received word from Fulbright that you should all receive email notifications

on January 19th about the outcome of the first round of reviews. "Recommended"

will mean your application has been forwarded for review by the host country,

and "Non Recommended" will mean your application is no longer under

consideration. Fulbright recommends approximately 2 times the number of grants

on offer.

Please get in touch with your FPA because they are the best source not a lot of heresay from others.

Stage 1 Decision Notification is going to be January 19, 2012!

Freaking hell. How the heck am I supposed to contain myself for one more day?!

Thank you for the update!

Edited by cabooklover

here's to hoping that they truly let us know before the 31st since I just got accepted to TFA and have to let them know by the 30th if I'm going to do it...

i have a phone interview with TFA on friday, and theFulbright waiting game has been throwing off my preparation for that!!!

...wait this probably means our advisors will likely know the results by the end of today, right?

Edited by oa0176

here's to hoping that they truly let us know before the 31st since I just got accepted to TFA and have to let them know by the 30th if I'm going to do it...

They'll let us know whether we're in the running, but certainty certainly won't be ours for a while.....

Freaking out.

This means our advisers will know today. Anyone else reading in to their adviser's silence as a rejection???

Nope! But my adviser told me already he wouldn't tell me if I made it through or didn't because he wasn't supposed to, and he's terrible at giving any kind of news. He told me to just wait.

Freaking out.

This means our advisers will know today. Anyone else reading in to their adviser's silence as a rejection???

Nah - from what I understand, in the Fulbright process, interpreting silence is a really bad idea.

Just wanted to say I think it's awesome how everyone is so supportive of everyone else. Whether I make it or not I am really rooting for the rest of you. I'm so impressed by all of your research topics!

So the 19th, huh? How am I supposed to sleep tonight??? AHHH!

Everything she said.

Ugh, if it is tomorrow, it means Ill find out while I am at work, unless I resist the urge and wait till after (which I will fail in doing)... this means tomorrow is going to be a very surreal day and perhaps quite visceral as well... I really wish it came as a letter in the mail instead!

Good luck to everyone!

Edited by TheodPliske8711

So last year they were supposed to find out Friday and they found out Thursday night. This year we are supposed to find out on Thursday-- Any chance we will find out tonight then?

Good luck, DaisyH! Just in case, for what it's worth, I know there are also tons of non-FB ESOL jobs in South Korea (do you know Dave's ESL cafe?)

I was not aware of that website, but thank you for the resource. I am not too entirely sure if I want to teach English in South Korea because I am not sure how I am as a teacher, my ultimate goal is to conduct research, however I know this is a good alternative if I want to spend a year there. Thank you for the resource. :)

It's getting closer everyone, and I'm getting increasingly more nervous especially after that bit of information about notifications being sent tomorrow. Good luck to all, let's all hope for good news!

Going to answer several posts at once.

I can't believe how much all of you are freaking out. I just assumed that I wouldn't get the Fulbright and that either way I wouldn't know for sure until April so I went on with applying to other things and focusing on friends, family, working out, and school work. I honestly did NOT think about it as much as so many of you have.

The subject of the email last year was "Your Fulbright Application" and the email was sent by "Fulbright U.S. Student Program" on January 20, 2011. Here are the first two lines of the email I got: "I am pleased to inform you that the National Screening Committee of the Institute of International Education (IIE) has recommended you for a grant under the Fulbright U.S. Student Program for the academic year 2011-2012. Your application has been forwarded to the supervising agency abroad for final review.

I was awarded a grant (packet arrived in the mail on April 5) and am currently abroad on my Fulbright. I'm not having the more typical experience because my country does not have a Fulbright Commission and there are very few Fulbrighters here at the moment.

Anyway, best of luck to you all as you cope with the waiting period. Seriously, you have to find a distraction otherwise waiting until April/May/June is going to do bad things to your health, both physically and mentally.

Oh my, it's almost here! I've been pretty calm throughout this waiting game because I've had so much going on, but I have a feeling these next 36 hours or so are going to keep me quite distracted from everything I should be doing.

I'm glad it will be Thursday because my birthday is on Friday, and if I don't get recommended , I would prefer to just forget it and move forward celebrating something that involves no merit at all.

Good luck to everyone!

my advisor just confirmed the e-mail stating they will be sent tomorrow. she won't tell me if i got it or not even though we developed quite a nice rapport and there are only 3 other students from my school applying. i feel like they might not have included it in the e-mail.