Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

Well, there's nothing I can do but wait at this point! My adviser forwarded the email that was sent to all Fulbright advisers by Michael Scott-Kline, who is the director of the Fulbright awards program and so that's where the information comes from. In his email he says:

"To remind everyone, the selection process in the UK takes place from January to March, with some candidates called to interview in February. Not all IIE recommended candidates are interviewed and whether or not a candidate is called to interview does not mean they will be selected or not selected. Interviews in this context are simply intended as an additional information-gathering exercise in instances when the UK selection committee would like more detail from particular applicants. All candidates (principals, non-selects and alternates) will ultimately be notified by IIE, and all at the same time (likely in early March)."

It may in fact be that the majority of those selected were also interviewed, but he didn't mention in the email that it was a good or bad thing to be interviewed. In any case, there's no sense in worrying about it now as there really isn't anything to be done. We will just have to see what happens! Best of luck!

Hmmm. Well, that's certainly contrary to what I have been told. Let's take comfort in the fact that this wait will be over soon! Your project, by the way, sounds very interesting and current, esp. in light of the UK's problem of integrating/accommodating minorities and immigrants, so it sounds very promising. My project is on the making and origins of urban law in the Middle Ages.

For the third time I had a nightmare about the Fulbright. That I got a rejection email. I really hate having these dreams. This time I woke up in the middle of it because as I was reading the email in my dream the language of the letter became increasingly ridiculous, so that seems to have stirred me. Next week can't come soon enough for me.

Hmmm. Well, that's certainly contrary to what I have been told. Let's take comfort in the fact that this wait will be over soon! Your project, by the way, sounds very interesting and current, esp. in light of the UK's problem of integrating/accommodating minorities and immigrants, so it sounds very promising. My project is on the making and origins of urban law in the Middle Ages.

For the third time I had a nightmare about the Fulbright. That I got a rejection email. I really hate having these dreams. This time I woke up in the middle of it because as I was reading the email in my dream the language of the letter became increasingly ridiculous, so that seems to have stirred me. Next week can't come soon enough for me.

Isn't it crazy the stuff your mind makes up when you're asleep? I will just be so thankful when the wait is over--I feel like I've been in limbo for months now. Urban law in the Middle Ages sounds fascinating--are you studying History at the moment? I am always so curious to hear about how people became interested in their projects.

Isn't it crazy the stuff your mind makes up when you're asleep? I will just be so thankful when the wait is over--I feel like I've been in limbo for months now. Urban law in the Middle Ages sounds fascinating--are you studying History at the moment? I am always so curious to hear about how people became interested in their projects.

Yes, I'm currently in a PhD program in history. I think I'm probably a little older than the average Fulbright applicant.

I love legal and urban history, so it seemed wise to combine the two. :D

How did you get interested in your project?

I was so excited when I read this! There is something nice about knowing that I will be able to find out the results more privately than my whole family checking the mail and concluding from envelope size. The hardest part about this whole thing, for me, is that I'm not the only one waiting... my husband and both of our immediate and extended families know I applied and are also anxious to hear whether or not I got it. I hope the email comes sooner rather than later! Rachel responded to my previous email saying that we wouldn't hear until April/May... that is sooooo long away!!

Davushka, pelevinfan, what are you hoping to research? What made you pick Russia?

Wait, really? End of April/May? I thought it would be late March/April based upon when everyone heard last year. Eek!

I am currently a Peace Corps volunteer in Moldova, and picked Russia because I already speak the language, and because my research project is about migrant groups in the region. Choosing Russia was without question :)

I e-mailed Rachel Hoskin about how we are notified (I'm a full grant to Russia)... and she said we are notified by e-mail first, and then mail. Not sure if it applies to all programs, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same.

I just emailed her to ask if that applies to Turkey candidates. I'm trying not to bug her but i need to know if I should be expecting an email, waiting on a letter is scary enough. I know the Turkey ETAs last year were notified by email but that was only because they waited for so long.

Cliana, I believe you might be in luck, as it seems this year ONLY ETAs for the South and Central Asia region are attending the pre-departure orientation.

http://us.fulbrighto...candidates.html

I wish I could have applied for the CLS! unfortunately I didn't know about it while I was still at university. :/

Kind of a bummer that the CLE which Fulbright offers for Indonesian is only for full grantees and not ETAs too.

You just made my day. I don't know how I missed that after scouring the website a hundred million times. I think that is a change from last year and I probably failed to reread the 2012 updates... *dances*

Thank you for finding that!

Have you found out on Indonesia yet?

Yes, I'm currently in a PhD program in history. I think I'm probably a little older than the average Fulbright applicant.

I love legal and urban history, so it seemed wise to combine the two. :D

Judehermes: I'm in the same boat as you (PhD program, medieval history, Full Grant to Italy)

I asked Rachel about the email notifications for Turkey ETAs and she said we will be getting email and regular mail notifications

...eta-but like davushka said it seems like this applies to everyone

Edited by oa0176

any indonesia ETA fulbrighter's know how we will be notified this year? email or not?

Not sure how we will be notified, but the applications for the Fulbright DIKTI program (for Indonesians to do their master's in the US) are due april 15, so I would guess that they would try to get the notifications out before then since they will have to start the evaluation process on the new apps.

Checking this thread/my email/my campus mailbox has turned into an unhealthy, life-disrupting compulsion. It's becoming more and more difficult to concentrate on the things I should (and need) to be doing in order to graduate, because I have all this anxiety about what I'll be doing after.

I'm generally a level-headed person, but I'm a J-type (in Myer's-Briggs terms) and really need a plan! I can't handle the fact that my planner/calendar is utterly blank from mid-May forward.

Needless to say, I might actually have a heart attack when Fulbright notifications arrive.

Checking this thread/my email/my campus mailbox has turned into an unhealthy, life-disrupting compulsion. It's becoming more and more difficult to concentrate on the things I should (and need) to be doing in order to graduate, because I have all this anxiety about what I'll be doing after.

I'm generally a level-headed person, but I'm a J-type (in Myer's-Briggs terms) and really need a plan! I can't handle the fact that my planner/calendar is utterly blank from mid-May forward.

Needless to say, I might actually have a heart attack when Fulbright notifications arrive.

im the same way! luckily i graduated in december so im not falling behind on any work, but it does give me way too much time to think about everything

Oh wow! The first acceptance!! I can't believe it's starting! Congrats T Pain!

Yikes though, it could come in a small white envelope too? Now there's going to be even more pressure opening the envelope, haha.

As an uber-planner, I know what you are going through. I check my e-mail all the time, I obsess over the Fulbright website. I don't think I can handle waiting two more months. I really does feel unbearable like in some weird limbo and I just want to know what's on the other side. So frustrating!