Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

Bah, this sucks. Two more weeks will put us around the 21st, and I'm supposed to tell my grad school before this 15th. I hate hate HATE this, wish it was just a little bit standardized.

Fellow Russia applicants, I just got a response from Rachel Holskin. Her best guess is another one or two weeks for notification.

ou w

1. I proposed this a while back as well, one one has responded so far. Keep in mind, you may be overstating the "quantifiable logic" behind their decision; you may not necessarily get the same people viewing it. Meaning that there is a high amount of irrationality behind almost any decision, especially when candidates have such close competitive levels. The biggest issue, I think, is the amount of teaching experience as well as German skills. These are the two big ones. You and I may have failed to properly prove to them that our German can be trusted.

I've seen some material on the Fulbright site as well breaking down award recipients based on geographical distribution within both Germany and the U.S. So simply spreading the grants around geographically may represent a factor in one's selection over which we have little control.

Well, about ten minutes after I got that e-mail I sent my official acceptance to Boston University haha, I can't deal with anymore what ifs. The Casten Family grant was a specific (1 award) to complete a Masters of Food Communication (essentially advertising the Slow Food Movement) at the University of Gastronomic Sciences in Bra, Italy. I'm happy that I was an alternate and congrats to you as well. It is reassuring to think of the amount of applications for Italy each year and to know we made it this far is pretty special. I'd be a little upset if two months from now I find out the other person turned it down but.. va be va be.

What do you want to research again, I think you told us but I can't remember?

Wow, that sounds like a great position! Is there any way that, if you do find out that the recipient withdraws, that you could delay enrollment at BU for a year? Either way, congrats for making it this far - and also congrats for entrance into a great grad program!

I do early modern history. My dissertation is on sixteenth-century Siena, looking at the shift in civic identity after the fall of the Republic of Siena and the role of a literary academy there in the cultural evolution in the decades after they became a subject state. While I do a decent amount of traditional political history the majority of my work is through more innovative approaches like looking at the pedagogical elements in their parlor games, the role of theater, literature, etc - all of which makes my project exciting (at least to me) but I think also makes it a bit questionable to award committees, particularly those that aren't in history and aware of trends in the profession.

I feel that I proved my language ability because I did pass the B2 exam last year and they were made aware of that. I really think it was my essay, everything else was very strong. :(

if all else fails, there is this program you can maybe apply to: http://www.cdsintl.org/internshipsabroad/germany.php

i used to live in germany and austria, so i understand why you'd wanna go there. good luck!

Wow, that sounds like a great position! Is there any way that, if you do find out that the recipient withdraws, that you could delay enrollment at BU for a year? Either way, congrats for making it this far - and also congrats for entrance into a great grad program!

I do early modern history. My dissertation is on sixteenth-century Siena, looking at the shift in civic identity after the fall of the Republic of Siena and the role of a literary academy there in the cultural evolution in the decades after they became a subject state. While I do a decent amount of traditional political history the majority of my work is through more innovative approaches like looking at the pedagogical elements in their parlor games, the role of theater, literature, etc - all of which makes my project exciting (at least to me) but I think also makes it a bit questionable to award committees, particularly those that aren't in history and aware of trends in the profession.

Thank you for your kinds words! On the off chance the grantee turns it down I would imagine BU would be willing to work with me... but who knows haha.

Speaking as someone who's B.A. is in History and who has lived in Siena for a month, I think your project sounds totally awesome. Looking forward to spending some time at Teatro Chigi?

Bah, this sucks. Two more weeks will put us around the 21st, and I'm supposed to tell my grad school before this 15th. I hate hate HATE this, wish it was just a little bit standardized.

It does suck. I really need to know to make plans for the Summer. I am supposed to collecting data for a PhD thesis and I cannot make plans if I don't know where I will be for a year.

Hey all,

Congrats to all the Euro and Caucus folks out there who have heard back. To the South American crew, can anyone enlighten me as to when the rest of the countries will hear back? Looking at past years' spreadsheets, it looks as if the end of March was the most popular time.

Seriously, I know! I am assuming we will hear Tuesday, but if not, then we must be alternates. Do you know anything about how they normal send out acceptances?

They send out acceptance notices via email, mine was from Jürgen Hörmann with subject line "Foreign Language Teaching Assistantship Program - Austria".

To the Indo Fulbrighters (ETA & Research), can you please send me your names in a PM if you would like to be part of a Facebook group. I tried to create the group, but could not do it because I am not friends with any of you, lol =p.

I would love to get in touch with anyone who will be there, exchange info, and couchsurf if possible! :-)

Edited by redArcher

To all my fellow angst-filled Turkey ETA finalists,

A friend of mine who is currently an ETA in Turkey said that it was "likely" we will hear back this week.

Apologies for adding to the rumor mill but I just wanna know, haha.

Good luck to you all.

Yes, I did just hear when I posted, the e-mail came in 4:15 EST on Friday afternoon! I had no idea when to expect, last year was late April I think and the year before late March. I am SO happy they got out the notifications for this award though because I had also applied to grad programs and I was able to decline them all before the deadline, hopefully making someone else's day!!

I saw a bunch of other Slavic/former Soviet states had sent out notifications, like Romania and Poland I think, so I was really hoping that they would all do them together, so hopefully Armenia will send out a notification to you!! Good luck!! I am so excited to live and travel in the region!!!

Again, good luck to everyone else!!!

just FYI Romania is neither slavic nor former soviet. ;-)

To all my fellow angst-filled Turkey ETA finalists,

A friend of mine who is currently an ETA in Turkey said that it was "likely" we will hear back this week.

Apologies for adding to the rumor mill but I just wanna know, haha.

Good luck to you all.

I wont hold my breath but it would be nice to hear back this week... thanks lol

While I do a decent amount of traditional political history the majority of my work is through more innovative approaches like looking at the pedagogical elements in their parlor games, the role of theater, literature, etc

That is so interesting, sounds like a great project. I am actually writing a chapter on parlor games- my dissertation is an art historical study of game play in 15th and 16th century Northern Italy.

Hello fellow Spain ETA finalists,

so i've been reading this thread and it seems that we should be receiving the email notifying us of our status sometime this week??

nobody from spain has heard yet correct?

PLease let me know. I'm starting to get a little anxious (I was able to fight off the anxiety until this past week)

so i've been reading this thread and it seems that we should be receiving the email notifying us of our status sometime this week??

PLease let me know. I'm starting to get a little anxious (I was able to fight off the anxiety until this past week)

I don't think anyone has heard from Spain. I am very anxious........... I just want to know yes or no!!

Hey all! I'm a grantee for Ecuador for the upcoming year. I made it to the waiting list last year, so I'm very happy that persistence paid off for me this year.

I have one question regarding health insurance. The graduate student health insurance at my university will NOT remain in effect while I'm on the Fulbright. The medical form states that the insurance Fulbright provides is intended to be supplementary. My question is, are we ALLOWED to use it as our primary insurance during the grant period? That is, is it bad to send in a medical form with the insurance section blank (indicating that I won't have my own private insurance during the grant period)? Might this deny me "medical clearance"?

Thanks-- if anyone knows anything about this, I'd appreciate it.

That's correct. NO ONE to my knowledge has heard back yet but I'm crossing my fingers that we hear back THIS week from Spain!

That is so interesting, sounds like a great project. I am actually writing a chapter on parlor games- my dissertation is an art historical study of game play in 15th and 16th century Northern Italy.

That's amazing! If you'd like, I'd be interested in talking more about your/our projects. I'm bad at checking here, but I'm sending you the email address my FB is registered under in a PM.