Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

I've been recommended for a full research grant to the U.K., but I haven't been contacted for a phone interview, and I'm definitely starting to worry. I know that one person on this forum received an e-mail scheduling a U.K. phone interview on January 30th (for February 7th). Has anyone else heard from the committee? Or, if anyone on this forum applied to the U.K. in past years, do you happen to know if all of the interview requests go out at once, or if applicants are contacted in a staggered fashion?

I was recommended for a full grant to the UK back in 2009, and yes - if you haven't been contacted for an interview you should be worried. Give it another month and if they don't contact you by the first week of March, I would make other plans. Fingers crossed!

Hey, everybody! I'm a current Fulbright ETA in Turkey, so if you have any burning questions or just want to talk Fulbright/Turkey/English teaching, feel free to PM me. I'm applying to grad schools now, but I lurked on the 2011-2012 board last year, and I know how hard the waiting is. Good luck to everyone! You've applied to an incredible program.

Recommended ETA to Andorra here =) Does anyone know if there's a way to check that my transcripts have been received by the IIE? I sent them but I would hate not to be considered on the off chance they didn't get there! Thanks!
I called the IIE office in New York City to confirm that they had received my transcripts and they had. So, that would be my suggestion.

Edited by ecpurcell

I called the IIE office in New York City to confirm that they had received my transcripts and they had. So, that would be my suggestion.

I sent mine certified mail so I could track it myself - but apparently they do call you if they haven't received a transcript from you.

Awesome, thanks! I'll do that.

I sent mine certified mail so I could track it myself - but apparently they do call you if they haven't received a transcript from you.

I wanted to do that, but my university sent mine straight away instead of letting me pick it up from the registrar's office. Haha, I trust my university but I wish I could have tracked it myself. It's good to hear they call you too, thanks!

I am 99.99% sure that they mean the Fulbright app we already submitted. And since our recommendation email said they were forwarding our application to the proper authorities abroad, I'm assuming that means they are sending it to the PAD.

ah, thanks. oh but also! when they ask for passport photo are they talking about actually scanning our passports or submitting any passport style 2x2" photo

Hi all, I've just discovered this forum, congratulations to everyone! I was recommended for ETA in France 2012-2013. Very excited, but tired of all the waiting and uncertainty! Any other ETA candidates recommended for France?

ah, thanks. oh but also! when they ask for passport photo are they talking about actually scanning our passports or submitting any passport style 2x2" photo

It's definitely not a scan of your passport. I'm just getting passport photos taken (they do it on campus at my university) and attaching them. The one thing I'm confused about is that it says photo with name...I've never seen a passport style photo with a name printed on it so I'm not sure how we're supposed to do that. Does anyone have any insight?

Is the passport picture thing for ETAs only? I never was asked to turn in passport photos...

I'm a finalist for an ETA, but I wasn't told to submit any passport-sized photos either. To those talking about it, does it say to do so on their website or did the email tell you submit the photos?

I'm a finalist for an ETA, but I wasn't told to submit any passport-sized photos either. To those talking about it, does it say to do so on their website or did the email tell you submit the photos?

It's for GERMANY ETA only. We have extra documents etc. that we have to submit to German authorities. So don't worry :)

Question re: ETA to Germany

Are we to translate our original essays or draft completely new ones for the PAD? I am working on translating and maybe adding a few things here or there.

Thanks!

If you read up a few pages in the forum, someone emailed the PAD and they said it was ok to translate. They just need the essays in German rather than English.

Wait, have people JUST received their ETA recommendations? I thought they sent them out in mid-January. But congratulations nonetheless! I hope we all get it and experience this new chapter in our lives :)

Wait, have people JUST received their ETA recommendations? I thought they sent them out in mid-January. But congratulations nonetheless! I hope we all get it and experience this new chapter in our lives :)

i think they either, just found the thread or stopped lurking lol.

@tokyotokyoto

Hi there! I've been recommended for a full grant to Kyrgyzstan! I PM'ed you. I wish we could get a few people together who are in the pool for the regional grant to Central Asia to share info and news. I'm curious as to what people want to study. I think the region is beyond fascinating and look forward to research / community collaboration. Be well!

Edited by boxoatoc

This waiting is really starting to get to me! I just want to be able to plan next year! Ughhh, come on countries, figure it out! Anybody else having a hard time focusing on this semester with Fulbright hanging over our heads? :)

You have no idea. I'm having Fulbright dreams at night too!

Ahhh nice thanks for both clearing up my question as to why there were only recommended people on here and sorting out a way to keep it clean. Does anybody have any thoughts as to why I am the only Malaysia ETA despite the fact that the program has just gotten huge in the last two years? I mean I know it is supposed to be less competitive, and many of you guys seem like pretty high-powered candidates to be getting recommended for these programs... soo maybe the contributors on this thread/board have self-selected as only going for the really tough programs? I may be way off base here, and sorry if this or a similar question has already been answered earlier in the thread.

I am a Malaysia ETA applicant and have been recommended =) ! I, too, am wondering how many people have applied. I am also freaking out a little bit about when they will let us know. I have been accepted to Teach for America and accepted with the caveat that I will be able to defer if I am offered the Fulbright grant. However, I would have to find out from Fulbright before I start the TFA institute which means if I am given an alternate status I will likely not be able to accept even if I am ultimately offered it. Fingers crossed!

Sorry to turn the conversation back to Germany ETAs, but there are just so many questions!

So once we get everything for the PAD app together how does everyone plan to mail it? We need three copies of each. Big manila envelope? Separate envelopes? Staple each set together and put in the same envelope? Paperclips?! Does it even matter? I've got my essays and really the hard part done, but its the simple stuff I'm worrying about now! Is there somewhere that tells us specifics I just haven't seen, or are we just guessing? Suggestions would be great.....thanks!

I am a Malaysia ETA applicant and have been recommended =) ! I, too, am wondering how many people have applied. I am also freaking out a little bit about when they will let us know. I have been accepted to Teach for America and accepted with the caveat that I will be able to defer if I am offered the Fulbright grant. However, I would have to find out from Fulbright before I start the TFA institute which means if I am given an alternate status I will likely not be able to accept even if I am ultimately offered it. Fingers crossed!

Wow! Congrats on being accepted to Teach for America! It sounds like either way, you've got a great year ahead! Definitely still pulling for Fulbright, though!

Edited by Mbeeezy33

Sorry to turn the conversation back to Germany ETAs, but there are just so many questions!

So once we get everything for the PAD app together how does everyone plan to mail it? We need three copies of each. Big manila envelope? Separate envelopes? Staple each set together and put in the same envelope? Paperclips?! Does it even matter? I've got my essays and really the hard part done, but its the simple stuff I'm worrying about now! Is there somewhere that tells us specifics I just haven't seen, or are we just guessing? Suggestions would be great.....thanks!

I think you're supposed to glue the photos to the application form. I'm planning to just staple the pages of the form (each copy separately) and then paperclip them in packets with the essays...if that makes sense. And then stick them in an envelope. I applied for the Austria ETA and sent everything priority mail, so I will probably do that again to ensure it doesn't get hung up (I know we're NOT allowed to do Express mail).