Davis, CA

Thank you so much; that helps a lot. Do you personally suggest university housing stuff? Are the apartments any good? How is the milieu? Any idea?

P.S.: I am sorry if I ask pedestrian questions, but I am completely clueless, and slightly uneasy.

I do not, but I get paid a bit more than you (same monthly but 12 months). You gatta do what you gatta do. Your looking at 1500 a month if your having that for 9 months salary, I suggest finding a place closer to 1/3 your salary vs 1/2. 

Apartments vary. Both my apartments have been on the expensive side, but good. Houses are also great if you find someone looking to sublet a room, and can be cheaper. I have no idea about university housing, I've never known anyone or been in it. University sponsored stuff is very hard to get I think, huge waiting lists. Then again, there are waiting lists at any good apartment complexes (like i said, the one i just signed for was the last 2x2 for September move in and we signed in JANURARY 8 months before we were moving in ! ). 

The social atmosphere is really good. I enjoy it. plenty of happy hours at the bars, trivia, and people are really laid back. There are plenty of international students. And a lot of international/domestic student mixing. I really wouldn't worry about fitting in or anything to much. In the united states, almost no one fits in. 

I do not, but I get paid a bit more than you (same monthly but 12 months). You gatta do what you gatta do. Your looking at 1500 a month if your having that for 9 months salary, I suggest finding a place closer to 1/3 your salary vs 1/2. 

Apartments vary. Both my apartments have been on the expensive side, but good. Houses are also great if you find someone looking to sublet a room, and can be cheaper. I have no idea about university housing, I've never known anyone or been in it. University sponsored stuff is very hard to get I think, huge waiting lists. Then again, there are waiting lists at any good apartment complexes (like i said, the one i just signed for was the last 2x2 for September move in and we signed in JANURARY 8 months before we were moving in ! ). 

The social atmosphere is really good. I enjoy it. plenty of happy hours at the bars, trivia, and people are really laid back. There are plenty of international students. And a lot of international/domestic student mixing. I really wouldn't worry about fitting in or anything to much. In the united states, almost no one fits in. 

"Almost no one fits in": That's comforting. :)

Also, a huge, massive thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello, everyone.

I am going to the UC Davis in august with my family. Taking in consideration that I am coming with them, do you think that is possible to rent an apartment in West Sacramento and drive to UC Davis everyday. I mean, I saw that there are some places there (west sacram.) cheaper than in Davis.

Thank you,

Hello, everyone.

I am going to the UC Davis in august with my family. Taking in consideration that I am coming with them, do you think that is possible to rent an apartment in West Sacramento and drive to UC Davis everyday. I mean, I saw that there are some places there (west sacram.) cheaper than in Davis.

Thank you,

I know several grad students who live in Sacramento with their families, so I think it is doable. You might also consider Woodland, which is also a lot cheaper than Davis, and the traffic on 113 is probably much better than I-80. 

Woodland is only a 10-15 drive & the traffic is practically non-existent. I would shop in Woodland, and drive up there at all times of day, never once encountering traffic. 

Dont live in west Davis because its expensive (that includes apt complex like Ramble). East Davis isn't bad, depending how far east you live - the further the better. I found my best living arrangement in NW Davis, close to the hospital. Its very quiet, & residential but you will definitely live with a few people.

And if you live on the periphery of Davis, beware of wild turkeys. When I lived at the Ramble Apts, three turkeys camped close to my front door and when I tried to get out, they charged at me. I had to climb out my window to catch the bus >=P (fortunately I was on the first floor). I regret not cooking them... 

I know several grad students who live in Sacramento with their families, so I think it is doable. You might also consider Woodland, which is also a lot cheaper than Davis, and the traffic on 113 is probably much better than I-80. 

Thanks! I will consider Woodland as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is looking for a place to sublet (furnished or unfurnished) in a primo location this summer (july, august, with the lease being over august 31st) let me know. Note you must be a graduate student or incoming graduate student. 

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I attended UC Davis undergrad. It is very LGBT-friendly. Think SF, but if SF had a controlled population of just college students.

For living in Davis, basically any part of Davis is good. There is no crime, and you're like a 15 minute bike ride away from school even from the outskirts of town. Davis also has a good bus system, but you can bike basically anywhere in town really, really fast.

So I kind of recommend just getting a more inexpensive place. There's very little need to be within walking distance of campus; even if you are in the dorms, you'll still want to bike around campus.

I highly recommend the school, but it is extremely boring, with no great geography such as water, hills, or anything. You're within driving distance of basically some of the best parts of the US though. Yosemite, the Bay Area, Lake Tahoe, wine county. You can do your rendition The Hangover in Reno. The places that tbh a lot of people dream of being near.

So if you want to do that stuff, you'll need a car. Life without a car is fine, but you're restricted to the bubble. It's nice for a lot of people, though.

Can maybe somebody recommend good dog friendly apartments in Davis to look at? We need 2 bedrooms...So far we found Greystone, Lakeshore and Eastlake as possible options. 

Edited by emmabear

16 hours ago, emmabear said:

Can maybe somebody recommend good dog friendly apartments in Davis to look at? We need 2 bedrooms...So far we found Greystone, Lakeshore and Eastlake as possible options. 

I previously lived at the grove in west davis and it was very pet friendly. lots of dogs and cats.

18 minutes ago, lxwllms said:

I previously lived at the grove in west davis and it was very pet friendly. lots of dogs and cats.

Thanks, How was the quality of the building - cleanliness, maintenance, roaches (agrh)?  

On 2/25/2016 at 4:07 PM, emmabear said:

Thanks, How was the quality of the building - cleanliness, maintenance, roaches (agrh)?  

buildings are clean and well taken care of! maintenance is fast and the management isn't on your back or anything like that. its a good place to live. 

Any insight on Riverview Ranch Apartments in West Sacramento? Financially, the commute seems feasible with my stipend (~1900/month). I have a 70 lb dog so I've had a little trouble finding pet friendly apartments that allow her breed/weight (with the exception of Stonegate Village and other Stonesfair properties). Can any locals provide some suggestions on housing, apartment or house, that welcome larger dogs? I don't mind commuting from Dixon, Woodland, or West Sacramento. Thanks in advance!

On 2/27/2016 at 6:16 PM, crobnsn3 said:

Any insight on Riverview Ranch Apartments in West Sacramento? Financially, the commute seems feasible with my stipend (~1900/month). I have a 70 lb dog so I've had a little trouble finding pet friendly apartments that allow her breed/weight (with the exception of Stonegate Village and other Stonesfair properties). Can any locals provide some suggestions on housing, apartment or house, that welcome larger dogs? I don't mind commuting from Dixon, Woodland, or West Sacramento. Thanks in advance!

Toward the end of my undergraduate career at UCD, I lived in Woodland and commuted to the school. The commute is painless and there is never any traffic on the highway. For Sacramento however, there can be quite a bit of traffic on 80.

I do not know how much of the stipend you are going to put towards rent. My family does some property management in Sacramento, and $800 can get you a full house in some parts there. Just looking on craigslist for houses would be what I would do. I recommend Davis or Woodland over Sacramento, however. You might be able to find a room in Davis that allows bigger dogs. It might end up being on the far side of town, but everything is easily bikeable in Davis.

Also, what type of pet is it? Some landlords have insurance which does not allow certain breeds.

Finally, if it is a house, you can still inquire about the place, especially if they do not seem firm about a no-pet policy. The fact that you are a graduate student with guaranteed money can help your cause.

Generally though, I would advise against Sacramento. There are some really bad areas there. We actually manage some property in those bad areas, and while they are getting better, they are in a completely different world than Davis.

On 2/24/2016 at 11:39 PM, emmabear said:

The Arbors is also small dog friendly. I lived there both years and was very happy with the distance to campus, the amenities, and management. Karen (the manager) is the best, and the maintenance guy was actually really, really friendly as well - always asking how I was doing, got sad when he found out I had graduated and would be moving,etc. It also has a reputation as being a quieter, more grad student targeted complex. And no roaches!

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2016 at 3:18 AM, KappaRoss said:

Toward the end of my undergraduate career at UCD, I lived in Woodland and commuted to the school. The commute is painless and there is never any traffic on the highway. For Sacramento however, there can be quite a bit of traffic on 80.

I do not know how much of the stipend you are going to put towards rent. My family does some property management in Sacramento, and $800 can get you a full house in some parts there. Just looking on craigslist for houses would be what I would do. I recommend Davis or Woodland over Sacramento, however. You might be able to find a room in Davis that allows bigger dogs. It might end up being on the far side of town, but everything is easily bikeable in Davis.

Also, what type of pet is it? Some landlords have insurance which does not allow certain breeds.

Finally, if it is a house, you can still inquire about the place, especially if they do not seem firm about a no-pet policy. The fact that you are a graduate student with guaranteed money can help your cause.

Generally though, I would advise against Sacramento. There are some really bad areas there. We actually manage some property in those bad areas, and while they are getting better, they are in a completely different world than Davis.

Thank you so much for the insight! She is a German Shepherd mix so I am battling the breed restriction policies at the moment. Ideally, I would like to live in Davis or Woodland but I am having trouble finding housing that allow my dog. I have recently looked into renting a house so I am hoping I have better luck with that route.

• 9 months later...

Hello everyone,

I just received my acceptance to UC Davis today. Pretty excited! I have been offered $20k for 9 months TAship and about 5k for summer. I am guessing that this thread gets this question a lot but since housing prices fluctuate quite a bit, I was wondering if you think that my stipend amount is reasonable.

Hey!! 

I have also received my acceptance to UC Davis, for the Psychology program. Can't wait!! I am a bit worried since, reading this thread, I have the impression that its a town that can be boring? I am coming with my partner, who is not a student so he is worried that it will be difficult for him to meet people or have a social life there! Any impressions from people that live/lived there?