Davis, CA

On 2/4/2017 at 3:31 PM, scintillating said:

Hello everyone,

I just received my acceptance to UC Davis today. Pretty excited! I have been offered $20k for 9 months TAship and about 5k for summer. I am guessing that this thread gets this question a lot but since housing prices fluctuate quite a bit, I was wondering if you think that my stipend amount is reasonable.

Hello @scintillating: From my experience as an undergraduate, $20k for 9mon is a feasible budget. By feasible I mean you can easily live off this with planning and strict adherence to your budget. This will cover housing, utilities, gas, car insurance, cell phone, and food. It is tough to live extravagantly on this budget, but it is certainly doable. Davis is a town with a lot of deals and a lot of rip-offs. Some apartments, grocery stores, restaurants, and bars overcharge, while others offer awesome deals. Given that it is a true "college town" there are a number of shops that offer lunch specials or very great happy hour prices. I would stay away from any apartment complex owned by Tandem and attempt to find housing through independent property managers. I also recommend housing with others as it makes housing (the biggest part of a Davis,CA budget) more affordable. 

Feel free to Direct Message me and we could talk over the phone sometime or something if that would also be helpful. Cheers!

10 hours ago, tere93 said:

Hey!! 

I have also received my acceptance to UC Davis, for the Psychology program. Can't wait!! I am a bit worried since, reading this thread, I have the impression that its a town that can be boring? I am coming with my partner, who is not a student so he is worried that it will be difficult for him to meet people or have a social life there! Any impressions from people that live/lived there?

Hi @tere93 Congrats on your acceptance! From my experience in Davis I wouldn't describe the city as "boring." It is certainly "quiet," but there are a variety of activities that make it feel very much alive. On Wednesdays and Saturdays Davis hosts spectacular open air markets. The downtown is vibrant and always has a productive buzz. There are a variety of bars and coffee shops. Most of the bars are more "social bars" than "dive bars." 

In my opinion, what makes Davis truly not at all "boring" is its proximity to San Francisco and Sacramento. Sacramento is 15-20 mins away (with great public transportation options). Sacramento is a really great bustling multicultural city and the Old Town/Downtown has great night life. Above all else though, the people in Davis are genuinely friendly. If your partner will be working in Davis or Sacramento they will have a built in social network that is bound to expand in this small town environment. 

I have greatly enjoyed my time here and I have faith Davis will endear itself to both you and your partner. Best of luck with your studies. 

I've been accepted to the Animal Biology PhD program and I'm moving to Davis with my dog. I don't think I can afford to live on my own but finding roommates and pet-friendly housing is a daunting task for an international student. Any suggestions on how to nail down accommodations from afar? Are there websites you would suggest I post on or particular housing complexes I should look into? I'll be flying down at the end of the month for a recruitment event, should I be looking into housing when I get there? Advice is greatly appreciated! 

On 2/9/2017 at 2:39 AM, PinkyPaw said:

I've been accepted to the Animal Biology PhD program and I'm moving to Davis with my dog. I don't think I can afford to live on my own but finding roommates and pet-friendly housing is a daunting task for an international student. Any suggestions on how to nail down accommodations from afar? Are there websites you would suggest I post on or particular housing complexes I should look into? I'll be flying down at the end of the month for a recruitment event, should I be looking into housing when I get there? Advice is greatly appreciated! 

Hello, I lived in Davis one year as an exchange student. One of my friends who lived in an apartment called "sharps and flats" had two dogs in there. I think you should call leasing offices and ask their policy. If you can find housemates who are animal friendly, you can bring your dog I guess. There's a fb group for davis housing. You'd better join the group. There are a number of apartment complexes in Davis. You can call or email each of the leasing office to ask pricing and availability of bringing your dog.

3 hours ago, Innan said:

Hello, I lived in Davis one year as an exchange student. One of my friends who lived in an apartment called "sharps and flats" had two dogs in there. I think you should call leasing offices and ask their policy. If you can find housemates who are animal friendly, you can bring your dog I guess. There's a fb group for davis housing. You'd better join the group. There are a number of apartment complexes in Davis. You can call or email each of the leasing office to ask pricing and availability of bringing your dog.

Thank you for the advice!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again!

I am starting to plan my arrival in Davis. I have talked to some of the graduate students in my program and they have told me most of the flats for next fall  in Davis are gone by Spring and they have recommended me to look for something now. However, I am still in Europe and I won't be moving to the US until August (that's when my funding starts). I really cannot go before because I don't have the money for it. So, what do you recommend? I have hope that I will be able to find something nice in August, but maybe its completely impossible?

thanks in advance for your advice!!

@tere93 I did my master's at Davis. I put myself on the waitlist for the place I ended up living at (the Atriums) at before I even accepted my offer, and I was just about to send off the security deposit for another place when I received my notification that there was a place at my top choice. I think Tandem Properties is a convenient organization to use to secure housing, and tons of people do it without visiting the place first since all the floor plans are online and you can find videos too. I lived less than two hours away and even then I didn't really think to visit apartments. Anyway, I really liked living at the Atriums because it's super close to the gym, to Trader Joe's, to the campus in general, and actually it's officially considered on-campus even though it's managed independently, so I was able to get my car jump-started for free one time by Parking & Transportation Services because they offered that kind of service for on-campus locations.

On 2/27/2017 at 4:30 PM, ThousandsHardships said:

@tere93 I did my master's at Davis. I put myself on the waitlist for the place I ended up living at (the Atriums) at before I even accepted my offer, and I was just about to send off the security deposit for another place when I received my notification that there was a place at my top choice. I think Tandem Properties is a convenient organization to use to secure housing, and tons of people do it without visiting the place first since all the floor plans are online and you can find videos too. I lived less than two hours away and even then I didn't really think to visit apartments. Anyway, I really liked living at the Atriums because it's super close to the gym, to Trader Joe's, to the campus in general, and actually it's officially considered on-campus even though it's managed independently, so I was able to get my car jump-started for free one time by Parking & Transportation Services because they offered that kind of service for on-campus locations.

Hi! How walkable is the campus? For example, is it possible to get to Engineering from housing (the Atriums, or other housing) by foot? Or, do you need to bike? Do most drive? Just received acceptance and am looking in to housing, but would like close proximity to Engineering :)!

@Dontdoit2017 Most students bike. I'd never have thought it convenient before moving there, but it's pretty much the way to get around in Davis. It's often considered one of the most bike-friendly campuses and cities in the U.S. It's nothing compared to what you see in some European countries, but it's pretty decent compared to most places in the U.S. Driving is okay for shopping and all, but parking on campus isn't easy (or cheap), and parking downtown often has a 2-hour time limit, so I wouldn't say it's convenient in terms of everyday transport to campus. Some students walk, but it depends on where you need to go. Some buildings can be pretty far apart. There's also a bus system on campus, though it's free only to undergrads. Grad students are supposed to pay since it's not included in their fee. I personally always biked.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, another future UC Davis student here :) I visited this wonderful town a month ago and can't wait to move there! Anyone else starting their Communication PhD program in Davis this Fall?

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017/3/25 at 6:47 PM, Corbis0216 said:

I'm also joining Davis this upcoming Fall. Chemical Engineering PHD.

Hi! Did you visit the campus? I am still choosing between ChemE programs at Davis and NC State. NC State have a higher ranking, but I still prefer climate in California. Any advice for me? Thx!!

6 hours ago, Shengwei said:

Hi! Did you visit the campus? I am still choosing between ChemE programs at Davis and NC State. NC State have a higher ranking, but I still prefer climate in California. Any advice for me? Thx!!

Yes I have visited campus and its absolutely amazing. However, I don't know what advice to give you because I don't know much about NC State. You should weigh all pluses and minuses and then make the decision. 

Hey guys, I'll be joining UC Davis for an MS in CS, so... no funding to speak of. Would you recommend on-campus (that includes the Tanson properties, West Village etc) or off-campus housing? Or should I look further in Sacramento/other nearby places? 

I'm an international student, so a car/motor vehicle is definitely out of the question and I'm uncertain about the commute (and its cost) from, say, Sacramento even though it would be cheaper to live in. 

All advice appreciated, thanks!

• 9 months later...
On 2/16/2018 at 12:42 PM, rajeshkr said:

Can I survive in UC-Davis with a 1700 dollars per month stipend? What part of it will go in tax? What is the cost of accommodation (in campus, off campus)? What is the expected expenditure on food (eating out vs cooking myself)?

I have a $2200 monthly stipend and I take home $1950 after tax. I pay $700 in rent (including utilities and internet) and have a $250 monthly food budget. I live modestly but I have more than enough income to pay my car insurance and gas, as well as go out for beers on the weekends.

• 2 months later...

I've accepted a PhD offer at Davis in Comp Lit. I have everything set (housing, funding, etc) and now I'm just trying to mentally prep myself to live somewhere quiet. I grew up in Cairo, Egypt and then lived in NYC for four years. I didn't visit campus before accepting so I'm really not sure what to expect. Will I die of boredom? How diverse is it? What do you do if you don't know how to drive OR ride a bike?? These are all things that keep me up at night. Anyone else attending Davis and have similar concerns/anyone out there have some words of wisdom for this lost city girl?

On 5/4/2018 at 11:17 AM, superfluouswoman said:

I've accepted a PhD offer at Davis in Comp Lit. I have everything set (housing, funding, etc) and now I'm just trying to mentally prep myself to live somewhere quiet. I grew up in Cairo, Egypt and then lived in NYC for four years. I didn't visit campus before accepting so I'm really not sure what to expect. Will I die of boredom? How diverse is it? What do you do if you don't know how to drive OR ride a bike?? These are all things that keep me up at night. Anyone else attending Davis and have similar concerns/anyone out there have some words of wisdom for this lost city girl?

Depending on how close you live to campus and the downtown area, I think you could get away with walking and using the bus to get around. However, I would highly recommend you learn to ride a bike. If you're nervous about biking on the road, there are workshops and courses you can take through the university or town that will teach you the rules of the road and how to bike safely next to vehicles.

It's hard to say if you'll be bored by the small town experience. The university has a diverse student population and lots of multicultural clubs and events. Davis is very close to Sacramento and about a 1.5 hr drive from San Francisco, so there's lots of places to go on the weekend if you want to get out of town. Personally, I think Davis has tons to offer in terms of sports, bars, restaurants, local hiking, etc. Think positively and keep an open mind.

I have got admission to UC Davis for Fall 2018. My major is Civil Eng. (PhD).

Does anyone know where can I find statistic for PhD alumni? where they work, what is their pay scale...

• 9 months later...

I just got an acceptance to UC Davis and am trying to arrange a visit. I know it's easiest to fly into Sacramento, but flights can be really expensive from where I live so flying to San Francisco would be easier. Can anyone tell me if it would be worth saving money to fly to San Francisco, or would the hassle of getting from San Francisco to Davis using BART/Amtrack be horrible?

3 hours ago, bonesandbakes said:

I just got an acceptance to UC Davis and am trying to arrange a visit. I know it's easiest to fly into Sacramento, but flights can be really expensive from where I live so flying to San Francisco would be easier. Can anyone tell me if it would be worth saving money to fly to San Francisco, or would the hassle of getting from San Francisco to Davis using BART/Amtrack be horrible?

I live in Roseville and have lived in Sac for years, and taken the train several times.  Personally, I enjoy it.

If you have any questions about the Sac area, let me know!  And congrats!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I got an acceptance to UC Davis and will most likely be attending in the fall. I've never lived in a smaller city/town and my main concern is what the social life is like. I'm pretty young still and single and won't know anyone there. What have people's experiences been like with the social scene for grad students in Davis? 

On 2/13/2019 at 3:29 PM, bonesandbakes said:

Hi! I go to UC Berkeley and my fiance is at Davis so I'm really familiar with the Davis-Berkeley situation. I would definitely recommend Sac if it isn't overly expensive, because Amtrak can be pretty pricey and the combo of Bart to Amtrak + Amtrak to Davis would definitely be a hassle. If you're still set on flying into the Bay, I would recommend checking out the Oakland airport, it's a much easier destination (in my opinion) if you're getting to the East Bay, which you would be to get on the Amtrak to Davis. 

On 5/4/2018 at 11:17 AM, superfluouswoman said:

Hi! I don't go to Davis, but I've spent A LOT of time there. I would recommend definitely getting a bike and learning how to ride it (Davis is super flat so you shouldn't be in too much trouble) and considering beginning to learn how to drive, if only because it will be fun to be able to go into Sac/go to the Bay Area on weekends if you want. I live in Berkeley right now and I find the change of pace in Davis refreshing and pleasant and honestly prefer going out in Davis for drinks/night-life. It's a pretty fun place, and it's close enough to Sac and the Bay (and Tahoe) that there's plenty to do if you do get bored in Davis. It's also pretty diverse! 

Congrats!