NSF GRFP

timuralp

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if someone has already posted these links, but I found them while browsing about how many awards will be granted this year:

NSF Graduate Research Fellowships: Expect The Numbers to Grow: http://blogs.sciencemag.org/sciencecare ... te-re.html

NSF Fellowships Called Powerful Tool for Building the Pipeline:

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/f ... /5869/1477

Granted, they're from March 2008, but if they were already considering upping the budget, hopefully that means with the stimulus package, there'll definitely be more awards to go around this year!

That's what I'm wondering too. "Early April" would be Wednesday, but it could also be the week after that some time too - which is unfortunately more likely knowing the NSF. God, I hope it's Wednesday...

To be honest, it's because I know that if I were them, I would take a small amount of pleasure in knowing that every minute, I was knowingly crushing the souls of graduate students across the nation. That's just me. I've decided to just lighten up about the whole thing and roll with the punches - no matter how hard they may fall soon enough.

We all have a 10% chance. My stuff was well written and I have a very strong arguement for why I need the award. I am hoping that this (probably rare) arguement will help increase my probability, but is probably still around 10%. This thing is a crap shoot. The people who are reviewing the apps are going to pick projects related to their interests. If you are in this area your probability of selection increases. If you are not in this area, then it decreases. There is no way to predict which group your in.

I hope they tell us early this week. I have to write this big paper for a rotation this week, but I know I will instead be checking my email every 30min until we hear back!

someone told me that NSF is most concerned with high GPAs and GREs...not sure if this is true..
I've heard more so on research experience and broader impacts, but we'll find out soon enoguh.

I'm a first-year grad student applying for the NSF. If I don't get it this year, does anyone know if I can apply again next year?

It was a bit confusing how they worded who is eligible (I interpreted it to mean I could not apply next year). However, an NSF reviewer I know told me I should be able to apply as a second year grad student for the last time.

Yes, you're eligible to apply next year. I applied this year and I'm a second year grad student. It was unclear the way they worded it, but they clearly stated "began study no earlier than Fall 2007".

They added a clause last year to the eligibility requirement saying that experience can count as grad school. The director of the NSF GRFP specifically said that this means that 2nd years that took time off to work in a lab are not eligible (too much grad school).

The answer to your eligibility question: If you took time off, you are not eligible. If you did not take time off, you may be eligible next year (but not definately). It seems pretty qualitative, depending on who reviews your app. Some reviewers may throw out an app while others may not do this to the same app.

The answer to your eligibility question: If you took time off, you are not eligible. If you did not take time off, you may be eligible next year (but not definately). It seems pretty qualitative, depending on who reviews your app. Some reviewers may throw out an app while others may not do this to the same app.

I took time off for 1 yr after graduating and applied this year and was not disqualified (or did not get a notification I was, when others did in Feb.). So again I think it depends on how closely your reviewers stick to the "rules." It seems like it's worth a shot to apply in your 2nd year just incase.

What is early April?

Wednesday? Friday? A week from today?

This is torture.

Ugh. I called (again) and talked to a woman who said that everybody would be "notified at some point in early April", but that they "don't know exactly when yet". She did say that it would probably be before April 15. I really want to know...