Google maps obsession

Strangefox

I have finally rented an apartment in a city where I will be studying and I have been using Google maps to look around the area. Man, whoever invented Google maps is a genius! I love it so much! And I love the area where my apartment is situated :P

Anybody else has been spending too much time in Google maps lately? ;)

lol, Yes! I am glad it is not just me.

I made a killer Google map for my apartment hunt and uploaded it to my android. Then when I visited I had a great idea of the city and where I needed to go. The only thing gmaps did not prepare me for was the vertical component of distances, for instance the apartment I chose looked super close on the map but was up a huge hill so biking in will be a bit more strenuous than I thought! :)

lol, Yes! I am glad it is not just me.

I made a killer Google map for my apartment hunt and uploaded it to my android. Then when I visited I had a great idea of the city and where I needed to go. The only thing gmaps did not prepare me for was the vertical component of distances, for instance the apartment I chose looked super close on the map but was up a huge hill so biking in will be a bit more strenuous than I thought! :)

:)

I have been addicted to Google maps during the application season. I used to check the location of my target universities and some of the apartments there. My obssession faltered somehow during the waiting period but it is starting to creep back. :)

Yup, used it while apartment searching in VA, when you're on the other side of the country something like google maps is essential.

When you're on the other side of the world google maps is especially wonderful! I've checked out the university campus & psych building, the international students building, my apartment, supermarkets... I'm happy that I can look around before moving, it makes it less scary :D

Same. I think I've google mapped everything I'll need in the city I'm going to. It's great because I can't fly out there in advance. I hope they make a virtual reality google maps to make it really look like I'm there.

LOL none of you went as far overboard as i did

i've already looked at MANY different schools through google maps and google street view. hell, i even cross-check the university physical locations with the USGS seismic hazard maps (because i dont want to lose everything in an earthquake).

i've already looked at MANY different schools through google maps and google street view. hell, i even cross-check the university physical locations with the USGS seismic hazard maps (because i dont want to lose everything in an earthquake).

What about tornados? ;)

lol, I'm not nearly as scared of tornados (most of the universities I want to get in are on west coast/east coast/chicago)

I'm a lifelong Chicagoan, and I have never seen a tornado. But supposedly they do happen here. As schoolkids we had tornado drills every year! I think it is more in the suburbs than the city proper.

wouldn't define myself as an addict, but i've basically looked at every single street possible within 2 mile radius of my apt and campus building. by deductive reasoning, seemed like the wisest thing to do in a city of unknowns. now every time i open google maps, it feels the buildings and parked cars are saying 'hi' to me.

now every time i open google maps, it feels the buildings and parked cars are saying 'hi' to me.

I wonder what these building will say to me when I finally see them off-line :) I guess it would be soooo strange really walking along these streets for the first time...

A year ago I spent hours wandering around Google Street View looking at neighbourhoods and writing down promising-looking apartment-buildings. By the time I flew into town to find a place for myself I'd narrowed it down to two streets. I took the subway up there (and yes, wandering around streets you've gotten to know on Google is very surreal!), made some notes in person, narrowed it down to four buildings, made a bunch of phone-calls, toured two apartments, discovered that the second one would be just about perfect, and moved into it last September. Worked fabulously!

you are my hero! I need to show your post to my boyfriend - he teases me so much for obsessive research :)

BTW, I remembered that when I was choosing schools I used a map of most tornado prone zones in the US :lol: But I admit, I did not look at seismic hazard maps :)

Somebody should create a map which would show earthquakes, tornados and PhD programs :lol: