Estimated Initial Expenses

I am wondering how much money I should bring with me when I go to the US. I know that the cost of living varies across states and among cities but I would like to have an idea on how much you guys are planning to bring with you that will help you survive before the first paycheck arrives.

I am wondering how much money I should bring with me when I go to the US. I know that the cost of living varies across states and among cities but I would like to have an idea on how much you guys are planning to bring with you that will help you survive before the first paycheck arrives.

That's a good question! I've been trying to estimate these costs too... I guess apart from money I will need to pay for my apartment (two month before the first pay check arrives - ouch!) I would need around $1000 to survive before I get the first check, and that will be on September 30th - and I will arrive in mid August. I will buy some very basic stuff like a futon, a set of linen, a pillow and a blanket, then something to cook in and eat with (fork, spoon, knife, plate, mug, pot) and a chair. And a couple of towels. I am sure I have forgotten something :) And of course I will have to buy food... And commute... Oh... September 30 is so far away! :unsure:

That's a good question! I've been trying to estimate these costs too... I guess apart from money I will need to pay for my apartment (two month before the first pay check arrives - ouch!) I would need around $1000 to survive before I get the first check, and that will be on September 30th - and I will arrive in mid August. I will buy some very basic stuff like a futon, a set of linen, a pillow and a blanket, then something to cook in and eat with (fork, spoon, knife, plate, mug, pot) and a chair. And a couple of towels. I am sure I have forgotten something :) And of course I will have to buy food... And commute... Oh... September 30 is so far away! :unsure:

Well, I am thinking of the same amount and same stuff. Is 1000$ enough?!

Well, this time I have it comparatively easy since I still have money in the US... On my original research stay, I exchanged around $400 back home and took them with me. And during my first month, I withdrew money in large amounts at ATMs from my bank account back home when needed. The withdrawals were around the same total level of fees etc. as the exchange back home, and actually cheaper than a transfer from my home bank account to my US bank account once I had one. There should be specialized companies for large foreign currency transfers as well, but I didn't try any...

I read somewhere that someone recommended $4000 but I think that would be more than enough. Keep in mind that you could possibly pay two months rent before you get your first pay check (which is usually at the end of September) and you will need living expenses (groceries and maybe utilities) for the month of September and for the part of August that you are there. Plus book costs, and furniture costs, and transportation costs and you could be looking at $2000 to $3000 easy. If you want to open a bank account, you'll likely need an initial deposit (which varies) as well. And if you need a cell phone, that will likely be another deposit in addition to the cost of the phone. So initial costs can be high unfortunatelysad.gif

Edited by newms

It really depends on whether you are living in a dorm or in an off-campus apartment. For a new off-campus apartment, you'll need to pay rent, likely also a deposit, buy furniture, get groceries and some other supplies, buy kitchenware and many other small things it's hard to even plan on. If it's an existing apartment, some of these things may be already there but you'll (likely) still need to furnish your room and get some stuff for yourself. There are also utilities that you may have to pay a deposit for. There are books and other school supplies. There's transportation - maybe you'll need to pay for the whole semester in the beginning, maybe you'll buy yourself a bike, etc. You may have to pay some part of your tuition and/or medical insurance even if you are on a full funding package. You may want to get extra dental insurance which is not usually part of the regular insurance offered by the university. In short, it's impossible for us to tell. What I can tell you is that I spent somewhere around $2500 on a new apartment+many of the things I listed above, and I only got my first paycheck at the end of September. As others have noted, you can always access funds in your foreign account, but it's easier to have enough funds in your local account. It does save on fees and they do add up.

Well, I am thinking of the same amount and same stuff. Is 1000$ enough?!

I hope! At least I will try to be very frugal. May be I will need $1500... It's so hard to predict all expenses. It also depends a lot on a place where you will be living - obviously, some are cheaper and others more expensive.

Hm... I'm going to try to break it down for myself.

First two months rent and utilities $1000

Furniture (already picked out on ikea) $1000

First two months food $400

Entertainment for two months $400

One way flight $400

Health insurance two months $90

Segregated fees $500

Total....... $3790

Transportation is free

I don't expect to buy books

Wow.. that's huge. I don't think I will have to wait two months to get my first pay check. I should find out.

Hm... I'm going to try to break it down for myself.

First two months rent and utilities $1000

First two months food $400

Entertainment for two months $400

One way flight $400

Health insurance two months $90

Segregated fees $500

Total....... $3790

Transportation is free

I don't expect to buy books

Wow.. that's huge. I don't think I will have to wait two months to get my first pay check. I should find out.

Why will you have to pay so much for fees?? $500 may be fees for one semester but not for two month only!! :huh:

Oh, the fees are for the fall/winter. But I assume I will have to pay them right away because that's how we do it at my current school.

Oh :unsure: May be they do the same at my school!! :huh: I need to investigate!

What fees are you referring to?

Oh, I don't know the right name. I just call them "fees" :) But I know that apart from tuition which is covered by funding, there are these fees. Well, Ogopo calls them segregated. And they can amount to around $1000 a year. And they are usually not covered by funding... You can go to your school's website and find there a section which is called "Tuition and fees". Every school has such page.

In my school it goes like that:

2010-2011 Fees

In addition to tuition, all students are assessed the "University Services Fee," which funds activities, computers and technology, facilities, and student health services: ....

And then go the numbers...

Edited by Strangefox

Oh, I don't know the right name. I just call them "fees" :) But I know that apart from tuition which is covered by funding, there are these fees. Well, Ogopo calls them segregated. And they can amount to around $1000 a year. And they are usually not covered by funding... You can go to your school's website and find there a section which is called "Tuition and fees". Every school has such page.

In my school it goes like that:

2010-2011 Fees

In addition to tuition, all students are assessed the "University Services Fee," which funds activities, computers and technology, facilities, and student health services: ....

And then go the numbers...

Thanks. I'll have to look into it. My funding offer covers 'mandatory registration fees', so I'll have to check if there are any other fees I'd have to budget for.

personally, i think furniture are big waste... especially if you buy them new. they cause pain in the rear when you move again. that's why i get on craigslist, find cheap furnitures or go to yard sales and get them at dirt cheap price. so when it's time to switch rooms/apts, i don't really mind leaving behind my 20$ command-center-sized desk. if you don't move, it's even better.

yea, dig around more on these. the 'unversity services fees' are charged almost universally. at my uni, it runs around 600$/semester.

I have to pay $900 for fees that are not covered by the assistantship, but it was clearly indicated that it will be deducted from my paycheck and distributed evenly every month.

personally, i think furniture are big waste... especially if you buy them new. they cause pain in the rear when you move again. that's why i get on craigslist, find cheap furnitures or go to yard sales and get them at dirt cheap price. so when it's time to switch rooms/apts, i don't really mind leaving behind my 20$ command-center-sized desk. if you don't move, it's even better.

I know that I can do things more cheaply but this is what I have decided for a variety of reasons. I love craigslist and I love finding deals, however, I am really looking forward to creating my bedroom sanctuary and staying put in one spot for a long time. Although Ikea is not the greatest quality, I am buying almost exclusively solid wood pieces that I really like. Also, when my SO (hopefully) eventually moves to the area he will have a real job and will be able to pay for some movers to get my things out of there, or at least a moving van. Also, I do not have the time or the car to go on a craigslist furniture buying bonanza.

The point of posting my cost breakdown was not to see where I could cut costs, but rather to help others with their own budgets.

And yeah, it will be a bit of a struggle to afford the start-up costs but I will make enough with my stipend to afford a bedroom that makes me happy.

Edited by ogopo

I spent more on my mattress than on all my other furniture combined, and I don't regret it one bit. I also got an expensive chair. Again, no regrets. I need to sleep well and I need to be comfortable when I work, and sleep in general is a difficult issue for me. I'm sure it'll be a huge pain when I move, which is why I'll be staying in the same place for the third year now, hoping for at least one more year before I need to worry. But yeah, moving is a real pain.

• 3 weeks later...

hello.

I am applying for MSc in University of Saskatchewan. I have been offered a stipend of CND 19000 / year to offset tuition and living expenses.

As I am an international student, I am wondering whether this amount will be able to cover everything ?

hello.

I am applying for MSc in University of Saskatchewan. I have been offered a stipend of CND 19000 / year to offset tuition and living expenses.

As I am an international student, I am wondering whether this amount will be able to cover everything ?

Try browsing the City Guide board. You might find your city there and then there will be some info about the cost of living in it.

Don't forget that stipends are taxable!

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the same situation - first paycheck in Sept 30, arrived in mid-August.

My advice for low-cost first months:

Buy ONLY essential furniture, never new. You can even survive with only a table, a chair and a mattress until your $$$ start pouring in. You'll have a wardrobe in your place to put your clothes in and, really, do you need that fancy Ikea piece of art when you have to bust the bank to afford it? Craigslist, your department and people moving out of the building are your friends - they'll be throwing a fortune of perfectly good furniture.

Buy ONLY essential kitchenware. For the same reasons.

Many universities will let you distribute your segregated fees across the paychecks. USE that.

AVOID buying things that you won't need or use once and then forget about them.

Entertainment is good, but DON'T do a 10-bar drunk stroll, topped by a 3-movie cinema marathons when you are short in cash.

REMEMBER, once you get money you'll be able to make your place nice and comfortable. When I came, my apartment was empty. Now it's like paradise on earth and we (me + a flatmate) spent less than 400 $ in total for furniture and kitchen stuff. B)

Don't succumb to the US mania of buying everything expensive at the first opportunity.

hello.

How much is your tuition? Luckily living in Saskatoon is not super expensive, so yes, you should be able to cover a lot with that, provided your international tuition is not hugely expensive.

Since I am receiving government and university funding I am allowed to defer my tuition payment until that comes in. I am also very lucky that my SO is already living in the city I will move to and is working full time. He has most of the kitchen basics and his parents will be donating some furniture to us. Otherwise I would have likely had to borrow money from my parents for all the start up costs.

Buy ONLY essential furniture, never new.

Well, you can find some cheap stuff in IKEA too. I would prefer to buy that that something used. But I won't be buying a table. I can survive fithout it till the first pay check. I will buy almost no furniture when I arrive - but I will need a mattress, and I certainly don't want a used one. Who knows what may live in it :unsure:

Edited by Strangefox