MPA/MPP/IR 2012 Applicants

It seems like everyone from USC MPA has already heard back?

Is this a bad sign that I still haven't heard from them? and the status hasn't changed on the application page either? :/

I think the first wave has heard back but they still have more people to go. I applied in December before the deadline and my status on the application page hasn't changed either.

I think the first wave has heard back but they still have more people to go. I applied in December before the deadline and my status on the application page hasn't changed either.

Same here... anyone know when they're getting back to the second round of folks?

Princeton just updated their "Deadlines" page at last.

"Decision notifcation: March 15, 2012"

Hmmm... don't know I'm happy I can stop pulling my hair out and be productive this week, or if I'm disappointed that the wait continues...

Update!

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPA, MPP, IR

Schools Applied To: UT Austin(MGPS), Korbel(IS), Maryland(MPP), JH(SAIS), Fletcher(MALD), GWU(SPS), AU(SIS-USFP), Michigan(MPP), Syracuse(MPA/IR)

Schools Admitted To: American SIS (USFP), Korbel (Int. Security), Univ. of Maryland (MPP)

Schools Rejected From: Syracuse Maxwell (MPA/MAIR)

Still Waiting: UT, GWU, JH, Michigan, Fletcher

Undergraduate institution: UCSB

Undergraduate GPA: 3.57 (Honors)

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 3.79

Undergraduate Major: Political Science/International Relations emphasis (BA) minor in History

GRE Quantitative Score: 154 (67%)

GRE Verbal Score: 157 (77%)

GRE AW Score: 5.5 (96%)

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): >1 (graduated last June)

Years of Work Experience: 3

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Model Arab League (honorable mention), administrative assistant, stockroom organizer, customer relations, collating, public relations. Currently searching for relevant internships.

Languages: English (native), Spanish (advanced-near fluent), Arabic (intermediate)

Quant: Quantitative Research Methods of Political Science, Macro, Micro, other quantitative based science classes. AP Calculus and AP Physics in high school.

International Exposure: Traveled all around Europe (Sweden, England, Germany, France, Italy, Austria), Australia, Costa Rica, Mexico, and Samoa. I will have traveled to Israel as of this summer.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): Demonstrated my interest in IR and my formative experiences. Discussed my interest and research areas in the Middle East and foreign policy. Tied together my study of Arabic, relevant classes in undergrad, current study of the Arab world through books like Ghost Wars, The Looming Tower, and Descent into Chaos (highly recommend each of these for those that are interested in terrorism), to name few, and inspiration to have a positive impact on the world. Furthermore, discussed how the program was a good fit for me by concisely reviewing some articles and professors from each school and demonstrating my interest in each one and how they coincided well with my study areas. Also spoke about how these schools would facilitate my entry into a job in the State Department, CIA, FBI, NSA, etc. by opening up internships, connections, and other helpful links the schools and their professors provided.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): 3 Recommendations: 2 very prestigious professors from my University and 1 from family friend who is the head chaplain at UNC-Chapel Hill (former Chaplain at Duke). Very strong letters, did well in the professors' classes and gave them good guidance as to what to include and highlight. I believe they provided very cogent and precise opinions as to why I would be a great candidate for the programs I applied to.

Others: Active Los Angeles World Affairs Council member.

Ok Jumping in a bit late on this, but still worth doing:

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP, IR

Schools Applied To: Georgetown SFS, DU Korbel, Maxwell - Syracuse, SAIS

Schools Admitted To:

Schools Rejected From:

Still Waiting: All of them

Undergraduate institution: Hebrew University of Jerusalem

Undergraduate GPA: 89.5/100 ( no idea how to translate it best)

Undergraduate Major: International Relations

GRE Quantitative Score: 730 (77%)

GRE Verbal Score: 710 (98%)

GRE AW Score: 4.5 (72%)

TOEFL Score: 120/120

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 2, but only joined undergrad after the army, so 5 years all in all

Years of Work Experience: 5

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Worked in the Israeli Parliament, several NGOs, and now work in a Social Entrepreneurship incubator

Languages: Hebrew (native), English (fluent), Russian (fluent), a bit of Arabic.

Quant: Really suck at it. Ok grades at Statistics, but did my best to stay away from anything that has numbers which aren't dates in it.

International Exposure: Travelled around Europe, guided tours in Poland, Worked in the US, Russia and South Africa, Backpacked in Australia, recently went to North Korea.

Fulbright Fellow: Selected as an International Fulbright fellow, so all expenses should be covered, which is a huge blessing, because there's no way in hell I could ever afford American education, on the other hand, they take care of the whole process, and several of the schools to which I'm being applied weren't even selected by me.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): It's great, slightly emotional, but just the right amount. The only problem is, because of the Fulbright process, I could only write one for all the schools I'm being applied to. So it's not school specific, but represents me and my strengths and weaknesses fairly well. Let me put it this way, if a school doesn't think I'm a good fit after reading it, I probably shouldn't be going there anyway.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): 3 Recommendations: Again, generic ones submitted to Fulbright, not tailored per university, so it's the downside of the process. One pretty famous professor, one professional from an NGO, one from the Parliament.

Others: IDF Veteran (3 years combat experience, dunno if it counts in the US), Student activist, started a project adopted by the Israeli government.

That's it. My main concern about the whole thing is a numbers game. Fulbright does something called cost-sharing, which means once a fellow is accepted to a university, they try to get the university to fund as much as possible from their tuition. Naturally, since Syracuse is very cheap compared to DC schools, I'm afraid that they'll end up limiting me to that, even if I'll be accepted to SAIS or SFS (hopefully).

So currently I'm going nuts about this, since this whole process is going on behind my back, and I'll only be contacted with the final result.

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP, MPAff

Schools Applied To: UT - Austin, UNC, UCLA, Georgetown

Schools Admitted To: UT - Austin

Schools Rejected From: UNC (after interview)

Still Waiting: UCLA, Georgetown

Undergraduate institution: University of Chicago

Undergraduate GPA: 3.16

Undergraduate Major: History

Last 60 hours of undergraduate GPA: 3.45

GRE Quantitative Score: 720 (156)

GRE Verbal Score: 640 (162)

GRE AW Score: 4.0 (Didn't finish either essay - good way to start a test)

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 2

Years of Work Experience: 1.5 - 2

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Worked in the financial development department at the YMCA national offices, mainly working with grants and funding allocation; currently a teacher for a low-income school, Advanced Algebra I and Geometry.

Languages: English (native), Spanish (competent)

Quant: Took Calculus and statistics in undergrad, but as an American History major that was pretty much it (some Econ too). I think I have pretty strong quantitative skills though and am looking forward to getting back into it. I'll probably take the third Calc sequence over summer. I'd like to continue on to linear algebra, analysis, etc. I like math.

Strength of SOP: I don't know, I just tried to tell the truth about why I wanted to attend the programs. It's important to me that my job means something and challenges me. I have experience in public affairs and have found it rewarding, and I basically outlined these sentiments as clearly and concisely as possible.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): One from my supervisor from a previous position was really exceptional - I'm not sure if it's any different that what adcoms usually see but it was really touching to read on a personal level. One from my senior thesis advisor that was probably pretty good. The other from a recent colleague that was probably just OK.

Other:

Edited by Esquared

A bit late but here goes :)

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPA, Nonprofit Management

Schools Applied To: CIPA, USC, NYU, Umass Amherst, The New School

Schools Admitted To:

Schools Rejected From:

Still Waiting:All

Undergraduate institution: Small Liberal Arts School in California

Undergraduate GPA: 3.18

Undergraduate Major: Liberal Arts

Last 60 hours of undergraduate GPA: 3.5

GRE Quantitative Score: 151

GRE Verbal Score: 153

GRE AW Score: 4.0

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 2

Years of Work Experience: 2

Describe Relevant Work Experience:Working as an analyst for a huge private consulting firm, and worked on projects for the South East Asian Governments, Asia Foundation, etc

Languages: English (native), Spanish (native level), Hindi (native)

Quant: Not too much. Took a liberal arts math course in undergrad, but have done a lot of quant stuff for my company. Plan to take a statistics course at grad school.

International Exposure: Currently working in South East Asia, since the past year. Studied abroad in Barcelona. Traveled all through Europe, and grew up in India.

Strength of SOP: I think it was pretty good. Explained how I wanted to eventually go back to India and work at an NGO for underprivileged women. Got it read by the writing prof and a few others at my undergrad school.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): One from my thesis adviser (should be okay I hope), and 2 others from profesors at my school. Had a personal relationship with all 3 and I'm hoping they wrote good ones.

Princeton just updated their "Deadlines" page at last.

"Decision notifcation: March 15, 2012"

Good to know the exact date - thanks a lot Charlotte :). On the downside I'm gonna be in the middle of nowhere with no internet access...

Edited by fenderpete

Man, this isn't a constructive post, but I just wanted to say that everyone's profile looks great. Looks like it'll be another super competitive year. Good luck all, though I don't know how much longer I can hold out in waiting.

Wellllllll, I'm damned late in introducing myself. Just did a random search for "2012 MPA rankings" following an ill-timed rejection letter. Was about to hit up the gym, and I require some vindication by finding a source which would discredit the university I was rejected from so as to not be in a bad state of mind while exercising.

Found the forum, read a few threads, and I thought I'd sign up. Bunch of bright people here it seems. This thread in particular--- damn. If I had seen this thread while applying to graduate school, I'd have crapped my pants. I know there's endless upon endless elite individuals out there, but applying whilst not thinking of and being confronted by all that definitely helps.

With that said, I'm David Kelly Chao, and it is a pleasure to meet you all. I am pretty certain at this point that I will be going to George Washington-Trachtenberg for my MPA. As I applied for a JD-MPA program, I will spend my first year predominantly at the GWU Law.

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): JD-MPA, single MPA

Schools Applied To: American University, Columbia, George Washington, University of Maryland

Schools Admitted To: GWU, UMD

Schools Rejected From: AU

Still Waiting: Columbia

Undergraduate institution: Ohio State University

Undergraduate GPA: 3.15

Undergraduate Major: Quad degree consisting of Political Science, International Relations, Psychology, and German. This was completed in 5 years with no summers. I was influenced by several factors to engage in such a broad curriculum, amongst them being another individual who was 3 years' my senior and found a way to exploit the system and obtain 4 degrees. Another reason was that my scholarship was an unconditional full-ride with generous stipend for five years. So... why not, right? I found out I would be able to do 5, but I instead opted to study abroad in Germany, Ukraine, and Indonesia. The Political Science department was also stingy about giving me internship credit during the summer!

Last 60 hours of undergraduate GPA: 3.8

GRE Quantitative Score: 650

GRE Verbal Score: 600

GRE AW Score: 5.5

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 1

Years of Work Experience: 2

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Representing several D.C. non-profits in their interests in other states, political lobbying and strategy, non-profit and business development

Languages: English, German, Spanish, and Chinese. I am fluent in all three with the exception of the latter, in which I still lack the ability to read and write. From a strict conversational point of view, though, I am good to go.

Quant: Loads. More than I could handle at the time. I knocked out my Psychology degree in my first 5 quarters. In that time, I took advanced undergraduate statistics, microeconomics, macroeconomics, and several graduate and aspiring graduate student courses in quantitative analysis. One which particularly kicked my ass the time was research methods in social psychology. I also took a fair share of cognitive and mathematical psychology oriented courses. On the topic of things more relevant to my career interests-- things related to law, politics, and public administration-- well, there wasn't a whole lot besides a graduate course with the John Glenn School of Public Affairs on rebuilding weak, failed, and collapsed states. My study abroad opportunities in Ukraine and Indonesia also required economic analysis.

International Exposure: Pretty much what I already discussed. 8 months studyin' abroad in the land of BMWs and bratwurst, 3 weeks in Ukraine, and a little over a month in Indonesia. The first was an intensive language and culture-oriented study abroad. The medial was a study abroad slashe case study tour in which 10 students formed into 3 teams and met with experts on security, economic infrastructure, and social thingamajiggs while also touring the nation; the end of which resulted in a lengthy 30-page analysis to be made to a corresponding US government agency on why the USA should care, what it can do, etc (I was part of the security team, so I ultimately went to Defense Intelligence Agency for my presentation). The latter, yeah, it was a pretty relaxed 1 month program in which the aim was considering economic development in Indonesia with the top scholar on Indonesian development, William Liddle. I have mixed opinions on this program, so I'll refrain. Recreationally, well, I have been just about everywhere except South and Central America.

Strength of SOP: I think was this was my "I win button". My GRE and GPA scores weren't exactly the most competitive, but I wrote an awesome statement of purpose which combined good writing, no flowery language or that of which you'd take to be from that of a blowhard or brown-noser, what I want to do-- have done-- how they all relate-- and how I will accomplish everything, why and how it relates to each university.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): One from a very esteemed professor in her field who served as my employer and not my instructor. I worked for her as a research assistant as an undergraduate during my final year. Another one came from a professor of a class I took in my final year-- to show where I was-- as well as because he is also held in very high regard in his specialty. My third and back-up/fourth recommendations came from two associates of mine with which I am opening a business.

Other: Founder and CEO of four businesses, amongst them a software development company which focuses on videogames and also professional and individual interfaces, communications, and networking solutions. In the process of starting a few non-profits, the first of which is expected to launch early 2014. Currently doing free-lance op-ed writing and also trying to write several books and begin a magazine/political forum for Asian Americans. Trying to found a cheap/low-cost legal clinic for immigrants. Advocating for a new-wave (I like to say they are new, anyways!) of sustainable business practices and the elevation of Asian American political footing in the USA. Probably other crap, too. I honestly forget everything I put on my resume and applications. I'm just a guy who figures I have a lot of energy and knowledge, and given the unforgiving nature of time, may do as damned much as possible while I'm still here.

I'm also a candidate for United States Marine Corps PLC 16-2013. Gon' train to be a military attorney in the summers off from school.

Edited by chaofufu

Myrn, you may be onto something. From the comments I have received throughout my life about my writing and my ability to clearly articulate things, particularly my life goals, I have reason to assume my SOP is one of the primary things that secured me entry into the universities I did get into. This is compounded by the fact that neither a 1250 GRE nor a 3.15 cumulative is exactly bossin'.

Edited by chaofufu

This isn't specifically directed at the above poster, but I find it hilarious how everyone always thinks their SOP is amazing. Either the bell curve for SOP quality is way to the right, or people are not very good at objectively evaluating their own writing.

I disagree a bit in that the self profiles posted on GradCafe over the past three years (and yes, I admit I have read most of them in the thumb-twiddling between January 15 and now) all rave about their SOPs. I have seen a lot of self-evaluations rate themselves "meh" while others flat out admit they left their SOP to the last minute, wrote the same one for each school, never really felt like they had a firm handle on it, etc.

That said, I think the bell curve is legitimately shifted to the right for GradCafers, folks who may (may, not definitely) put more time into the application process and thus may solicit more feedback, create more drafts, and read more samples of strong SOPs distributed by schools' admissions blogs than the average applicant.

And many of these self-assessed strong SOP writers on GradCafe have been quite helpful. I see posters with mediocre grades and GREs, good but not amazing work experience, who get into top schools. They cite their SOPs as extremely strong and list the reasons why. These posts have been quite valuable to me.

All this said, does inflation still occur? Of course. I think surveys repeatedly show that 80% of the population rates themselves as "above average" drivers. :P

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP

Schools Applied To: The University of Tokyo Graduate School of Public Policy

Schools Admitted To:

Schools Rejected From:

Still Waiting: I had my interview early last month. I'll know the final decision on Sunday/Monday via GraSPP's website!

Undergraduate institution: Unranked state school

Undergraduate GPA: 4

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 4

Undergraduate Major: History

GRE Quantitative Score: 163

GRE Verbal Score: 165

GRE AW Score: 5.5

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 1

Years of Work Experience: 1

Describe Relevant Work Experience: My job is just a glorified clerical position at a major international electronics manufacturer. My supervisors have agreed to expand my responsibilities and to work in the summer if I secure admissions however.

Languages: English (native), Japanese (fluent), Mandarin Chinese (fluent), German (2 years of college courses)

Quant: I only enrolled in the minimum class necessary to secure my history degree although I did independently dabble with higher level curriculum and I performed some quantitative fieldwork to enable the completion of my undergraduate thesis. I have the introductory economics courses under my belt but they were quantitatively light.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I spent about two weeks sporadically writing the SOP. I wrote one outline and then one draft making my revisions on the fly. I probably should have disciplined myself and spent more time planning as I don't consider myself a terribly skilled wordsmith. However, I do think (hope) that any structural weakness was offset by a laser focus career plan and my specific knowledge of both Japan and the Tokyo program.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): I'm as certain as is possible that my two letters are substantial. I did a ton of award winning coursework under both my professors. I enrolled in no less than five of their courses each. I feel I am privileged enough to call both good friends. Moreover, I gave them ample time (four months) to compose these letters.

Other: I won all of the departmental and university-wide awards available to a history student. My thesis was published. I served on several academic advisory councils. I graduated in three years which, some have said, may be a liability. I have several well-funded acceptances from T14 law schools that would allow me to defer for the two years necessary to pursue this MPP; I mention this because it was a moderately important point in my SOP.

MYRNIST, I think you're right, but I also think our comparison point is skewed to ourselves. There's no way I can compare my SOP to others' SOP, I just haven't seen enough. I can, however, compare it to my usual level of writing.

At the end of the day you do the best you can, and that's the feeling most of the people who say they have good SOPs are describing.

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MA in IR (or MS at Georgetown)

Schools Applied To: Fletcher, SIPA, SAIS, SIS, SFS

Schools Admitted To: SIS

Schools Rejected From:

Still Waiting: All but SIS

Undergraduate institution: top 100 public school ("public ivy," whatever that means)

Undergraduate GPA: 3.94

Undergraduate Major: Political Science, IR concentration

Last 60 hours of undergraduate GPA: 4.0

GRE Quantitative Score: 710

GRE Verbal Score: 670

GRE AW Score: 4.5

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 3

Years of Work Experience: 3

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Internship with the US Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (got published), a year as an advocate for rural education in Nicaragua with a nonprofit, Teach For America on the border of Mexico, Research Coordinator for the Global Health Office of a medical school at a large research university

Languages: English (native), Spanish (fluent), Portuguese, Italian (beginner)

Quant: Micro and Macro, Stats I and II, taught middle school math and science with Teach For America

International Exposure: Disaster relief in Honduras and Peru, studied abroad in New Zealand/Australia, volunteered a year in Nicaragua, taught on the border of Mexico, traveled all throughout Europe and South America

Strength of SOP: Spent a long time on the SOP since my GRE writing score was weaker than expected. Once won a $500 essay contest for an essay on a book I never read, so I think I'm a decent writer. I did make some cliches (started with a diary excerpt from my first trip abroad, talked about wanting to work for the UN) but I did a good job describing where I want to go and how I'm qualified to get there. Really spent time tailoring essays to each university and had them read by several profs and a former English teacher.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): One from my current boss (which should be fantastic), one from a former prof (which should be even more fantastic), and one from a former boss (which should be pretty good).

Other: I have a couple of publications. I am NOT an above average driver.

Question for the people that have heard back from Georgetown - did any of you apply to SFS?

Technically yes, but I was MGHD not MSFS. I haven't heard of anyone getting word for the MSFS yet - I think they let people know a little later (actually "mid-March").