NSF GRFP 2011-2012

alexhunterlang

They've been made, or awardees have been contacted?

To quote the NSF GRFP website:

"1. When will I be notified of the decision? All eligible applicants will be notified of the results of their application by e-mail around early April, 2012."

At this point, with about a month left, I wouldn't be surprised that most of the decisions had been made. As someone pointed out before, its not unreasonable to think they divide up the easy ones into "oh yes, definitely funded", "no way in hell", and then "Hmm, these could go either way... funded/hon mention or hon mention/reject." There's got to be some time built in for them to double check stuff, scan review sheets, get emails and reports lined up, etc. They can't be doing all of that the night before they send acceptance emails.

anyone else reread their essays and think they aren't any good anymore? haha..

I'm afraid to. I was revising my research proposal for a different application, and I think I sent it out with a mistake in the logic of my expected results. No one who reviewed it realized it; i guess it was so convulted anyway, it didn't make any sense.

Never go back and re-read the essays after they've been submitted until you get the results. I'm fairly confident the logic in mine came out ok, but now I don't have to look at anything again until I start the application process again in the fall. The more removed I am from the essay, the more critical I can be when revising/restructuring for next year (Although hopefully there is no next year!)

Yep, just yesterday. Looked at it and thought, "Oh, dang. This could be better in like a dozen different ways." On the bright side, I think it means I'm better at writing research proposals now than I was 4 months ago.

After I hit the "submit" button I promised myself I wouldn't look at the essays until decisions had been made, and so far I've succeeded! I'll only find more things to nitpick, which will make the waiting even worse. Definitely resist the temptation if you can, it'll keep you a little more sane!

The only thing worse than the anticipation

is the fact that no one is posting in this topic.

Oh well, at least I'm leaving for the break Sunday and that should keep my mind off of it for a week.

Also for anyone that wasn't in this last year: last year there was an advance warning on Fastlane for a day or three saying the system would be down for maintenance on x night at y time. The system went down at the specified time and when it came back up the award list was up and emails went out (both to those that got it and those that didn't).

Also for anyone that wasn't in this last year: last year there was an advance warning on Fastlane for a day or three saying the system would be down for maintenance on x night at y time. The system went down at the specified time and when it came back up the award list was up and emails went out (both to those that got it and those that didn't).

There is an advisory that was posted today that says "FastLane will be unavailable Sunday, March 18, from 12:01 AM to 8:00 AM ET for scheduled maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Hmmmm......

While it does appear that the advance warning of Fastlane being down is a reliable indicator for when the results are released, March 18th seems a bit early. Going back a few years, only 2007 was released in March. (I pulled these dates off previous gradcafe forums, let me know if they're wrong)

2007- Friday, March 23

2008- Tuesday, April 1 (Results were apparently accidently released\hacked the day before)

2009- Friday, April 10th

2010- Tuesday, April 6th

2011- Tuesday, April 5th

So March 18th would be the earliest its been released in awhile, but that will not stop me compulsively checking Fastlane early Monday morning.

Perhaps this has happened before, do we know if the "Fastlane will be down" advance notice on the website around late March\early April always means the announcement will come?

Edited by Xavi6

While it does appear that the advance warning of Fastlane being down is a reliable indicator for when the results are released, March 18th seems a bit early. Going back a few years, only 2007 was released in March. (I pulled these dates off previous gradcafe forums, let me know if they're wrong)

2007- Friday, March 23

2008- Tuesday, April 1 (Results were apparently accidently released\hacked the day before)

2009- Friday, April 10th

2010- Tuesday, April 6th

2011- Tuesday, April 5th

So March 18th would be the earliest its been released in awhile, but that will not stop me compulsively checking Fastlane early Monday morning.

Perhaps this has happened before, do we know if the "Fastlane will be down" advance notice on the website around late March\early April always means the announcement will come?

I agree, it does seem a bit early. However, it seems that schools sent out acceptance/rejections earlier this year than they did last year.

I'm sure I am reading too much into all of this.

Ugh

There is an advisory that was posted today that says "FastLane will be unavailable Sunday, March 18, from 12:01 AM to 8:00 AM ET for scheduled maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Hmmmm......

Hooooly jeebus. I wasn't even thinking to check the main Fastlane page for these advisories.

Sunday morning or even Saturday night... if this is the real thing, then the times indicate late night Saturday or at the latest a time earlier than any normal, decent person would get up on Sunday morning (8 AM).

But really, even if it's "scheduled maintenance" to put up results of some kind, it could still be for some non-GRFP grant.

Good call, I mixed up my dates, if this is legit then it would be early Sunday morning.

I got my rejection last year around 2am.

And so begins the annual "Let's analyze every minute detail of the FastLane website for clues" guessing game

I also thought about freaking out, before realizing how early that would be to announce fellows. However, for what its worth, I talked to a fellow applicant today and they said that DDIG has already been announced and GRFP usually is the next thing to put out. Just another tidbit to over analyze!