NSF GRFP 2011-2012

alexhunterlang

This was probably answered somewhere in the previous 17 pages, but I don't want to comb through them:

The emails are sent out in the early AM, right and the awards list is put up around 8 AM. So there are no notifications of *not* receiving it? That is, the only way to know if you didn't get one is that you didn't get an email and your name isn't on the list?

the real trick is to log on after the update and it will either say welcome fellows (you got the award) or welcome applicants (HM/no award).

O M GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG PEOPLE IT'S GOING TO BE TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STOP WORKING AND START PRAYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"like!"

hey guys i'm in a situation where i can't use a phone, but if someone were to call fastlane/NSF, they would probably tell you if tonight is about the grfp. people have called in the past years and received reliable information that way.

This was probably answered somewhere in the previous 17 pages, but I don't want to comb through them:

The emails are sent out in the early AM, right and the awards list is put up around 8 AM. So there are no notifications of *not* receiving it? That is, the only way to know if you didn't get one is that you didn't get an email and your name isn't on the list?

They will also send a "sorry lol" email around the same time. Last year mine came at 3:05 AM and had the subject line "2011 NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Competition Result."

Hi everyone, I'm new to gradcafe, although now that I found this message board, I am getting 0 work done today, and will probably not sleep tonight until 5:00 AM ET rolls around and nothing has been sent out. There's a speaker from the NSF doing a seminar today at my university, maybe I should ask her if she has some inside info? :P

Hi everyone, I'm new to gradcafe, although now that I found this message board, I am getting 0 work done today, and will probably not sleep tonight until 5:00 AM ET rolls around and nothing has been sent out. There's a speaker from the NSF doing a seminar today at my university, maybe I should ask her if she has some inside info? :P

most definitely and let us know ASAP! =D

So, I caved and called NSF too, and got a slightly different answer. The woman who helped me said they're swamped with calls about it, but nobody knows anything official yet. She says that there is, quote, a "reasonable probability" that results will come out tonight, but the official announcement isn't made at GRFP headquarters until a few hours before the uploading begins, so she can't confirm for sure. She also said that once the decision to announce is official, an announcement will be posted at www.nsfgrfp.com, so we have something else to obsess about and check compulsively...

Anyone here waiting from math? It looks like math has not so many people applying for this.... but those who do are darn competitive....

I am from math. Math is random and I really believe is all luck. Candidates we feel are strong could be considered weak by random reviewers who have a different idea of "broader impacts" and "results." My friend last year had a reviewer state he was by far one of the strongest applicants but the other gave him only a "good" overall and it killed his app. I doubt that many people in pure math could have a better application than he did... So that's where my opinion comes from.

Edited by toypajme

So the lady from NSF at the seminar at my university today was from a different division, I asked her about it, but she was like "well, everyone wants to ask about it when a program officer visits, but I can't tell you and I am not involved in that decision-making."

I think all fields are going to be like that because it's inherent in the peer-review process. On the broad scale, stronger applicants get selected more than weaker applicants, but at the fine scale where you're comparing individuals that are probably so (relatively, think all applicants from the best universities to those that weren't able to be accepted into grad school) similar in achievement that they're in the same program, there's going to be pretty substantial discrepancies.

Edited by Jimbo2

Do NSF fix a certain number/ratio of awards to graduating seniors, first-year, second year graduate students? Cuz it might not be fair to compare them together....

Just want to make this thread going!!!

Each level (graduating senior, first-year, etc) is evaluated with the differences in mind. First all of the graduating seniors, then all of the first-years. The reviewers adjust their expectations accordingly so it works out to you being judged versus applications of students at the same level.

I haven't heard of there being quotas per year, but I have heard that it tends to work out to be about a third of the awards to each level.

(I wonder if the level 2 people who get evaluated right after they finish the level 1 applications (or level 3 after level 2) have a slight advantage as the reviewer has just read a bunch of applications of people who aren't as far along.)

Edited by vertices

So, I caved and called NSF too, and got a slightly different answer. The woman who helped me said they're swamped with calls about it, but nobody knows anything official yet. She says that there is, quote, a "reasonable probability" that results will come out tonight, but the official announcement isn't made at GRFP headquarters until a few hours before the uploading begins, so she can't confirm for sure. She also said that once the decision to announce is official, an announcement will be posted at www.nsfgrfp.com, so we have something else to obsess about and check compulsively...

This makes me think its happening tonight. Any dissenters have good reasons to believe otherwise?

Edited by withoutwords

I'm inclined to be skeptical simply because of NSF's Facebook message saying that it'd be early April. Yes, they said "around early April", but that seems grasping for straws to me. Who knows though, here's to hoping I'm wrong. :)

Plus, why would they post something about scheduled maintenance for April 1st BEFORE they post something about scheduled maintenance on March 29-30th? Ugh this is fruitless, we all just need to reign it in--we find out when we find out, right?! fjdkl;ajfldkajkf;da

03/29/12 - FastLane will be unavailable from 11:00 PM ET Thursday March 29th - 5:00 AM ET Friday March 30th for scheduled maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience.

03/28/12 - FastLane will be unavailable from 12:01 AM to 8:00 AM ET Sunday April 1st for scheduled maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Edited by spiffyonion