The waiting is the hardest part

storiaitaliana

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally have some updates on everything (note my updated sig. line).

Got accepted to UPenn! Super happy about that! The interview session was AMAZING and 95% chance that I will go there.

But, I'm still waiting on WUSTL and Princeton, though I'm likely rejected at Princeton being as their last interview weekend for molecular bio. is Feb. 27th. Still have some hope for WUSTL, with their last interview weekend being March 6th, but who knows.

Either way, I wish I would just hear back. I almost just want them both to be rejections so I can submit my official matriculation form to UPenn already.

I was perfectly fine until I started getting addicted to this forum lol...this thread has passed on the jitters to me....

ahhhhhhhh!! it is especially nervewracking because my top choice school started sending out acceptances at this time last year..

oh well hopefully some retail therapy will help! see yall in the evening!

Whoever posted that pro-Tuesday notification breakdown is partially responsible for my insanity. Tuesdays are hell. The day begins with my boss saying, "Heya kiddo, how's it going?" (oh yes, true story), and me replying, "GOOD ITS TUESDAY!!!". I start work. My leg twitches for several hours until lunch. I check my phone. Nothing. I fidget a few more hours until mid-afternoon break. I check my email. Nothing. When I arrive home I check my mail on the way in. Nothing. All 10 schools remain silent.

How many more Tuesdays are left in this cycle??

my roomie has the only mailroom key and he's barely ever home! he won't give the key to me because he's "expecting law school decisions..." f*@# that. grad school >> law school.

now i guess i have to wait till he gets home tonight to even know if i have mail...and he gets to see my admissions envelopes (if they ever come) before i do. sigh.

Normally I don't promote behavior like this, but you should pilfer it while he's sleeping. :twisted:

now i guess i have to wait till he gets home tonight to even know if i have mail...and he gets to see my admissions envelopes (if they ever come) before i do. sigh.

I hear you, ssb...my mail goes to my parents' house. So they get to see my envelopes before I do.

So far everything has come by email or phone though, so it's okay...

Bumping up this thread because I have a general exclamation:

Yay, I got my Kansas interview itinerary. Day 1 is getting picked up at the airport by a grad student then dinner with all grad students.

Day 2 begins with a tour, then applicant seminars (I am the first of 3). Then interviews with 2 professors, lunch, 3 more professors then half an hour with the office manager (I'm taking that as a very good sign). Then get brought back to the airport. Going to be busy.

Oh, and got rejected from WashU.

Ugh. I haven't heard anything from 4 out of my 6 schools. It's killing me. I am the queen of impatience and this is the worst! I hate being in limbo and having to wonder if they've A) rejected me and not sent the letter yet, B) not reviewed my application yet or C) put me on some lame waitlist.

I'm going crazy. Seriously.

Ugh. I haven't heard anything from 4 out of my 6 schools. It's killing me. I am the queen of impatience and this is the worst! I hate being in limbo and having to wonder if they've A) rejected me and not sent the letter yet, B) not reviewed my application yet or C) put me on some lame waitlist.

I'm going crazy. Seriously.

Hey Mebosket--join the club, we've got jackets :mrgreen: I have still got SIX apps out with no word...but I've heard that some of them are taking longer because they're still considering...and some of the state schools aren't sure how much funding they're going to have next year so they're holding out. Just in case. I'm willing to let em keep em. An app that's still out is a rejection that's not in my hands. :D

I've been very lucky to hear from one school a week for the last five weeks, but there is one school (that had a 12/15 deadline) from which I have heard nothing. To make things more frustrating, I can't find anyone anywhere online (here, livejournal, applycorner) who also applied there. :(

Do most schools interview? Because when I got into my M.A. 3 years ago I was never interviewed -and I did get accepted at 4 schools (rejected by 2). At this point I have been contacted by UC Irvine, but they are still trying to find me funding. So I was wondering if I should lose hope of being accepted at the 3 other schools I am waiting for (Columbia, Berkeley)... :shock:

I guess it depends - I thought no anthropology programs interviewed, but I've seen a couple postings indicating that some do. Not the ones I've applied to, as far as I know, though.

I've heard from 2 out of 7 schools and wouldn't terribly mind getting rejected from 4 out of the remaining 5, just so I'd have an easier decision. Oh how I wish I had a clear top choice! This is a good problem to have, I know, though.

Tonights said:
What are you guys all drinking?

Milk lattes. I am frittering away my meager savings and my waistline on fair trade milk lattes. I might soon switch to wine, though. A friend of mine swears that red wine + blank MS Word document + data = master's thesis. Fortunately, one of my prospective advisors makes wine.

Also, "small medium at large" made me laugh

I haven't heard from 6 places too. Berkeley is most sadistic of all. I emailed them some writing samples to be attached to my application file (as I was foolish enough not to have uploaded them on time as I'd lost the link to the status page) and told them that if these couldn't be added and if a decision had already been made, to please let me know. They replied saying that all applications had been reviewed and that they were in the process of sending out decision letters to the applicants and that I should receive a letter by the 13th of March. I don't know what to make of this.. probably shouldn't try! So I cannot get confirmation of my rejection until the 13th. Another staff member wrote to me saying that I could know only by the 20th of March (she was obv lazy to get her facts and dates right). Its also funny that the 13th of March is friday the 13th... sadistic f*cks.

the LoR are the only things I really don't feel any worry about on mine. I've been allowed now to read 2 of my 3 and they are both very supportive. And I've been told that the third is also very good. And they're all from researchers in biochemistry/endocrinology! Only the gpa has me worried, makes me think at times that they'll see that and toss my app out.

I was told by multiple of my recommenders.... "i trust you to write it yourself" 4/9 letters were written by yourstruely... I spent hours pretending I was the different professors so my letters would all appear distinct and professional.... but they are all "too busy, really liked me, and this is how they "choose" to do this...

now I'm wondering if schools noticed anything!!!! hmmmmm... grrrrrr