The waiting is the hardest part

storiaitaliana

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm anxiously awaiting word from Emory ILA - They told me I would be notified by the end of January - Notified of what? I don't know. An interview, I think.

I'm going to give it to the end of the week before following up though...AH!

This is one of my top choice programs.

Today I am all jealous. My little brother is applying to college right now, and he has just been accepted to two of the three schools he applied to - one yesterday, and another, his top choice, today. I'm very proud of him, especially because school has always been difficult for him and he only started doing well and finding out what he really loved (construction and masonry) a few years ago. I just wish we could be celebrating together!

Today I am all jealous. My little brother is applying to college right now, and he has just been accepted to two of the three schools he applied to - one yesterday, and another, his top choice, today. I'm very proud of him, especially because school has always been difficult for him and he only started doing well and finding out what he really loved (construction and masonry) a few years ago. I just wish we could be celebrating together!

College?! That is so early! I think I heard April 1st...

College?! That is so early! I think I heard April 1st...

Well, I guess things work differently in Canada. :wink: Not to mention that 'college' and 'university' mean very different things here - colleges are usually for more technical/applied things, universities are usually for more theoretical/academic subjects. For example, I wouldn't go to college here for anthropology, and my brother wouldn't go to university to be a stone mason. He's also hearing back for college way earlier than I did for university, I don't think I got my first offer until mid-March when I applied for my undergrad and that was an early admit.

I'm really struggling with waiting now... waiting until 2pm GMT every day for it to be 9am on the East Coast and 5pm on the West Coast at 1am GMT is taking it out of me. I just want a single kernel of good news, as it would make motivation for my current degree a LOT easier to come by.

I'm really struggling with waiting now... waiting until 2pm GMT every day for it to be 9am on the East Coast and 5pm on the West Coast at 1am GMT is taking it out of me. I just want a single kernel of good news, as it would make motivation for my current degree a LOT easier to come by.

You're lucky. I've gotta wait til 9pm for 9am EST in here in Thailand.

I totally hear ya about the motivation factor-- I should be writing my MA thesis but I'm friggin' obsessed with the waiting game.

I can't stand waiting anymore. I haven't heard anything and everyday I check my email about 1000 times and nothing, go home check the mailbox and nothing, and then sit there the rest of the night going crazy. But now I've started to wonder, at elast for the schools where I don't think I'll get in, is it better to know or not to know. Ya know they say ignorance is bliss and not knowing still gives you alittle hope that you might get in, but you're left going crazy.

I live several time zones away from where addmission decisions are trickling down, and it should be to my advantage. When I get up in the morning, it's mid-late afternoon the previous day. By late morning, normal business hours are over. So that's a very short window for obsessively checking my email, applicaiton status, etc.

Of course, I actually spend nearly every waking minute either doing those things, or on grad cafe. As someone else said, who actually needs to write a thesis?

I feel like time is going faster now. It's already been 2 weeks since my first acceptance.

I can't believe it's been 3 weeks since my first acceptance! With any luck that means I am halfway through the wait...wow!

I actually had a really severe panic attack today out of the clear blue, related to this process.

I'm trying to breathe at the moment.

Does anyone notify via physical mail anymore? It seems like they notify, and then if you're accepted send physical materials later.

Saves trees, I s'pose.

I hoped waiting would get easier once I'd heard from some schools and got an initial acceptance. But it really hasn't! I still feel like I'm going crazy. :(

It's gotten a little easier for me. But just a little. I'm still going crazy. 1 school down, 8 to go! :shock:

Sorry about your panic attack, medianerd. :(

Does anyone notify via physical mail anymore? It seems like they notify, and then if you're accepted send physical materials later.

Saves trees, I s'pose.

I think some Stanford programs only notify via postal mail. MIT might, too. So it's possible.

It might be a lie if I say I'll calm down once I get the first acceptance, but I'll definitely shift what I'm worried about. Right now I'm worried that I'll be stuck here another year. I don't want to delay getting into grad school (and out of this lab).

Just poking in to check on the rest of my hollow-eyed zombified homies. I'm not doing so hot myself and haven't felt like talking about much of anything. I guess a lot of us have gone past the happy, joking worriedness and moved on to the internal terror. I know I have.

I have moved onto the stress based exhaustion :< I mean, I want to sleep all the time, which is sort of impossible because of having to be at work.

I'm having that as well. Worrying is very taxing, it would seem, as I'm tired all the time.

Nice to see another anthropology person, though. :)

I found a perfect way of distracting myself during the day: science marathon. We isolated pre-osteoblast cells from mouse calvaria ^_^ Took a good 4 hours.

But lately with results the stress has proven that I tend to lose my patience, which is why I am not applying to med school. (I'm so, so sorry you all had to be subjected to my horrible humor, please forgive me)

Just poking in to check on the rest of my hollow-eyed zombified homies. I'm not doing so hot myself and haven't felt like talking about much of anything. I guess a lot of us have gone past the happy, joking worriedness and moved on to the internal terror. I know I have.

Sorry to hear that :( Chin up. If its any consolation I'm feeling pretty much exactly the same, I'm really concerned about what I'm going to do next year, if I can handle doing this again, do I retake the GRE, will I be able to get a job, where do I live... This is all going round in my head and keeping me up and keeping me from doing vital assignments for my undergrad course.

I calculate that I can't realistically expect results for another 2.5 weeks, so it's just a lack of patience right now...the moment we hit Monday, Feb. 23, I will probably fall into an anxious, frustrated depression just like you guys even though that's an arbitrary approximation of the earliest date I might possibly hear. This waiting for months thing is awful - so much worse than job applications, where if you don't hear anything for a couple weeks you probably just need to move on!