The waiting is the hardest part

storiaitaliana

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem, fenderpete. Everybody needs supportiveness during this circus of anxiety. I distracted myself today by fixing my toilet and baking soft pretzels.

Eek, a 4-5 page statement of purpose? That's the first time I've ever heard of one that long. Mine were one and a half to two pages, and I was under the impression that this was the desirable length.

Is the pointless chatter on the results page bothersome to anyone else?

My SOPs were around 1000 words when there wasn't a required length. About two pages, double spaced.

Also, regarding well-known LOR writers - you never know. My recommenders do interesting research and teach at a good SLAC, but are not Big Names in Big Research AFAIK...well, I found out after applying that the graduate director at one of the top schools I applied to knows one of them, and the Big Name in Big Research at another school I applied to advised another one on a thesis. My fingers are crossed that one of these coincidences is actually *helpful.*

Is the pointless chatter on the results page bothersome to anyone else?

Yes and no. I don't really like it there, but I can see that people have questions and I'm not sure what other way they could get answers as easily (though I don't think I'd post like that on the results page...).

I signed up for hotmail to send instant messages to my cell phone whenever I get email. Now I know what email I get even if I am sitting in class! WOOHOO!

Hmm I used to have that feature enabled years ago. I would not want to receive a text showing that a school had sent me a message. Just imagine sitting in class or being out and about and being completely taken over with thoughts of what is in that email :)

I don't get it... why do some departments take so long to make a decision while other departments within the same university are so quick on the ball?

Are they waiting for something, like funding perhaps?

They might be, but I think a lot of it has to do with their process and their other workload. Think how long it would take for three-five people to each read through hundreds of applications...

I used to be an articles editor for a journal and I think it gave me some idea of a selection process of sorts...it would take us a while to all choose our favorites and then to debate them.

I agree, it's odd. We all take it as a given that the hard sciences will hear early and the social sciences and humanities have to wait longer, but I wonder why it is. Is it because those applications have to be approached more holistically, since they are focused less on numbers, scores and percentages and more on research proposals and statements? I have no idea. All I know is, it's giving me horrible blood pressure problems. *grins*

Drizzly freezing rain here today. I almost fell on my butt several times while walking to work.

I agree, it's odd. We all take it as a given that the hard sciences will hear early and the social sciences and humanities have to wait longer, but I wonder why it is. Is it because those applications have to be approached more holistically, since they are focused less on numbers, scores and percentages and more on research proposals and statements? I have no idea. All I know is, it's giving me horrible blood pressure problems. *grins*

Drizzly freezing rain here today. I almost fell on my butt several times while walking to work.

I think it has to do with the fact that hard sciences don't have to read writing samples. And, it is probably easier for them to toss people off the pile...I can't imagine someone who got below 700 in math doing very well in physics or chem.

But, I have seen interdisciplinary programs getting notices out....I think they just have fewer applicants (100 vs 300) than traditional disciplines (poli sic, anthro, soc).

Oh well, I just want to get a nice offer and beautiful funding package from one school, and then I can start eating food with my wine again. (Mini hangover today--anxiety induced empty stomach + 3 glasses of wine :(

The waiting is killing me mainly because there are so many other things I could be applying for right now! I mean what if I don't get in and then I've missed all these other opportunities!

Why not apply for them anyway? It's good to set foundations for some back-up plans, and if it costs nothing to apply, all you've lost is energy. There are a couple of jobs I might be interested in that I've marked the application deadlines for on my calendar, and I'm still looking up info on teaching english overseas, just in case.

well, another day lost. Too bad there isn't anything good on TV tonight as I'm ready for a little escape.

What are you talking about? New episode of Lost is on tonight!

Soon there will be Lost, Heroes, Battlestar Galactica, Fringe and The Dollhouse (Joss Whedon's new show). Just too exciting for a geek like me! :-D

Why not apply for them anyway? It's good to set foundations for some back-up plans, and if it costs nothing to apply, all you've lost is energy. There are a couple of jobs I might be interested in that I've marked the application deadlines for on my calendar, and I'm still looking up info on teaching english overseas, just in case.

Yeah I mean I have one interview scheduled already. I just don't want to put myself in a position where I need to decline a job before I even hear back from schools!

Nothing new today either. Did anyone else see the news about they maybe cutting back mail service to 5 days instead of 6? That would make waiting even worse!

I'm so sick of waiting that I can't even put it into words. It's bad. Wose than bad. I don't know where to begin. I laughed at reading through the posts last year thinking 'there's no waaaaaaaaay I'll feel that anxious' -----I'm pretty sure I'm worse than anyone from last year.

The next 2 weeks are long. Too long.

Yeah I thought Tuesday was a big day for letters/e-mails (per one of the polls anyway lol)...nothing yet, but I'm still hitting refresh on my e-mail even though it's well past business hours :)

I'm pumped about Lost! Although too bad it can't be two hours again like last week. It's going to be over before I've figured out what the hell is going on!

What are you talking about? New episode of Lost is on tonight!

Soon there will be Lost, Heroes, Battlestar Galactica, Fringe and The Dollhouse (Joss Whedon's new show). Just too exciting for a geek like me! :-D

Never could get into Lost, but I've been thinking about checking them all out on netflix from the beginning. I'm also sorry I didn't start Fringe when it started as I think I would enjoy it. Yay about Heroes and I'm also looking forward to The Dollhouse.

oh, and I heard about the Postal Service cutbacks too...just what we need!

Never could get into Lost, but I've been thinking about checking them all out on netflix from the beginning. I'm also sorry I didn't start Fringe when it started as I think I would enjoy it. Yay about Heroes and I'm also looking forward to The Dollhouse.

oh, and I heard about the Postal Service cutbacks too...just what we need!

Hey, as long as they bring me my acceptance(s), I'm happy with whatever they want to do after that!

Fringe is very awesome. Have you heard about The Castle? It's a new ABC show starring Nathan Fillion!

well, another day lost. Too bad there isn't anything good on TV tonight as I'm ready for a little escape.

Um, Top Chef is on tonight. It seems like so many of us are practicing distraction via cooking anyway. Sure, the talent pool isn't as good this year, but it's still pretty entertaining.

I don't know why, but I remember all rejections coming on Fridays just before 5:00 last year. This could be because that's when I got home from work or class, but I just remember it always ruining my weekend but being ready for Monday. Fortunately I leave for work at 7:00am and don't get home til well after business hours and no access to a computer... it's a mixed blessing. I also have a friend check the results with specific instructions to call me if anything is posted about history... He doesn't want the responsibility though!