The waiting is the hardest part

storiaitaliana

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, the possibility of not getting in anywhere is freaking me out.

What's worse for me is that here on the other side of the world, no-one gets how crazy the process is, and how freakin' competitive it is to apply to US programmes. So people may ACTUALLY be thinking how lame I am if I don't get in, rather than me imagining it.

I know it's not the end of the world if I don't get in. Tough competition, apply again next year, etc etc etc. That may be the rational approach, but emotion seems to be trumping reason for me these days.

I think I remember there may have been a thread here in years past about not getting in anywhere. I didn't want to read it at the time, but now...

I'm currently working on a Master's and today I asked my boss the dreaded question: "If I don't get in anywhere this time around, can I work for you as a tech for a year?"

I felt like I was going to vomit, I was so embarrassed and ashamed. Funny thing is, I haven't heard back from any of my schools. The mere fact that I have no safeties is weighing pretty heavily on me.

Fiddlesticks.

I also don't have any safeties. And I know somewhere else on this board I thought about applying to some, but the truth is I don't feel rushing around like a maniac bc they have deadlines also 1/15. Maybe if something came up that was Feb. 1, but alas, right now there are no safeties in pool and of course I'm applying to a lot of schools so it looks worse when you get rejected not from 2 or 3 schools but more than 10...ugh...

And I understand about people not understanding the competitiveness of these programs...it just seems only those involved can actually get it - even for those of us in the US.

holy cr@p! I just received a periodic status email from one school, and before I realized what it was, my heart skipped a beat that they had a decision for me.

Now I am just "grr" because they still haven't received transcripts that I had sent back in December (overnighted them in fact)...

t_ruth, they really aren't going to have decisions for at least another month, most likely another 6 weeks. I can tell you this from experience but also, you'll see that no education decisions show up under the "results" for the past 2 years before the end of February, most often March.

Try to RELAX. :lol:

WOOHOO! I got an email from a professor I know over at NC State telling me that the adcomm there's just started to go over the files. She was kind enough to check that everything's there again and said she'd let me know if she hears about any news concerning decisions!

WOOHOO! I got an email from a professor I know over at NC State telling me that the adcomm there's just started to go over the files. She was kind enough to check that everything's there again and said she'd let me know if she hears about any news concerning decisions!

Wow! That's really nice of her!

Well, since so many schools are still "sorting through their mail", as I've been told by 3 different institutions, I can't get too nervous yet. I think that's just a standard response, though.

Two of my applications are shown online as submitted but not completed. One glitch with dates on my GRE scores and another where they received one of my school's transcripts but not the other. I was told by that school that even though the two transcripts were attached to one another, that they might have been put into different piles in the sorting process, and I'll just have to be patient for my application to be listed as complete. It doesn't help that the particular application was submitted over a month ago, and they still have it listed as incomplete.

Oh, the panic. I guess I'll only start getting really nervous once I see other people submitting results from the schools I applied to and I haven't heard anything.

I got an acceptance today. From a "safety" school I guess (I felt fairly confident I would get in), but it should make waiting for the rest easier. At least I know I got in somewhere and don't have to go on a job hunt come May. My future is still up in the air to some extent, but at least the options have been narrowed down. :)

I got an acceptance today. From a "safety" school I guess (I felt fairly confident I would get in), but it should make waiting for the rest easier. At least I know I got in somewhere and don't have to go on a job hunt come May. My future is still up in the air to some extent, but at least the options have been narrowed down. :)

Congrats! Lucky. Tell us if it does make the waiting easier!

Still going crazy from waiting over here. I've almost convinced myself it would be completely rational to buy some kind of iphone/pda device that would alert me to incoming email, thus allowing me to step away from the computer for more than moments at a time. And it's SO ridiculous because I won't hear for another month.

i just can't stand this -- I feel like my life is on hold until I know. I think because I'm not in school right now, and I essentially work freelance from home, I am going crazy from not having enough work to do. I think after this weekend I will have to go in search of work in earnest, maybe even more work than I normally would take, just so I am not sitting around waiting for an answer I know will not be forthcoming for at least a month. I miss not doing my academic work too. Oh well -- on Monday I will be jumping full force into the swing of things.

Still going crazy from waiting over here. I've almost convinced myself it would be completely rational to buy some kind of iphone/pda device that would alert me to incoming email, thus allowing me to step away from the computer for more than moments at a time. And it's SO ridiculous because I won't hear for another month.

We had really bad ice storms here and lost power and cable/internet for over four days. I used the opportunity to get a google phone, which is great for having email on hand always. I use it a lot during my many night wakings w/my baby. Just thought I'd be an enabler ;)

Hi everyone!

I got an acceptance today from what I kind of considered my safety in the beginning (but as I researched the school more, had convinced myself I would never be accepted - the mind is a funny thing!)...I can easily say that it has SO NOT made the wait any less painful!! I just want to knowwwwwwwww already!!

I have to admit, I was very VERY surprised to hear back so soon - as from my obsessive perusing of this board, saw that most of my field's acceptances (and schools) did not send out until late Feb/early March.

Fingers crossed for everyone!