The waiting is the hardest part

storiaitaliana

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I'm annoying the hell out of my family with my constant refreshing of status pages. The sad thing is that I sent my apps at the beginning of December, so it's been a maximum of four weeks since I submitted my materials. Intuitively, I know it'll take a bit longer for adcoms to assess all candidates. However, that crazy, compulsive part of the brain rarely accedes to reason in these matters, so I continue to check my email a billion times a day.

In fact, my father just yelled from the living room that I'm driving myself insane. I hate it when he's right. :wink:

I think the hardest part of the waiting is not doing anything. I got so used to re-editing my statements and triple checking applications. Heh, I even emailed professors that teach the first semester core classes to ask for syllabi out of curiosity. I think I'm bugging all my family and co-workers with my constant worrying.

Oh, I am the master of irrational thoughts right now! :lol:

Among the most irrational: (1) the dean of my top-choice program is so taken with my SOP, that she/he calls me over the holiday break to discuss my fascinating life story; (2) the school that already admitted me made a mistake, and professors will be angry to see me there in the fall taking up a space that was meant for another student; (3) admissions officials at my top-choice mistakenly copy me on some emails agreeing that I am the most wonderful candidate ever; and (4) my SOP and other application materials end up posted on the websites of the programs to which I applied as examples of what not to write on an application!

Has you life also been overtaken by these crazy application-related thoughts?

Happy New Year!

Linden

Nothing that crazy for me yet...

I did have a dream that the adcomm for one of my schools came to my house (which in the dream, btw, was not my house, I have no clue where I was) to do an interview and then I fell asleep on the couch while they discussed me in the kitchen. Then last night I dreamt my new roommate at grad school was Sarah Silverman, which you would think would be a good and hilarious dream, but she had a huge live grasshopper collection and I have irrational deathly fear of those things. So, I guess I'm just going wild in dream world for now.

Dream world: my boss comes downstairs from his office, stops me in the middle of my experiments (so far, pretty realistic), and takes me up to his office. A couple visiting professors from whatever university are there, and they happen to be good friends with my PI. We talk for about 15 minutes before they offer me admission.

Among the most irrational: (1) the dean of my top-choice program is so taken with my SOP, that she/he calls me over the holiday break to discuss my fascinating life story; (2) the school that already admitted me made a mistake, and professors will be angry to see me there in the fall taking up a space that was meant for another student; (3) admissions officials at my top-choice mistakenly copy me on some emails agreeing that I am the most wonderful candidate ever; and (4) my SOP and other application materials end up posted on the websites of the programs to which I applied as examples of what not to write on an application!

Happy New Year!

Linden

Not quite that crazy. Thank you for making me feel less neurotic.

Cheers.

Happy New Year!

Linden

Oh, I can very much relate to thought number 1. Though in my case it's the professor I'd like to work with who's really gripped by my SOP and can't help but calling me. Unfortunately, the only missed call has been from the gym asking me to renew my membership.

Of course, I have these odd dreams in which the admission committee tears my application to shreads and uses it as confetti. This is usually followed by them pointing and laughing at me while an ominous voice tells me to get lost.

Hopefully, work and the gym will keep the crazy thoughts in check.

How about this... make it a goal to lose 10 lbs before your first notification comes. That way it's win-win. Scenario 1: you lose the weight before your notice comes. Congrats, you are thinner and healthier! Scenario 2: You don't lose the weight but your notification comes... a. you were admitted, good for you, celebrate. b. you were not admitted, well at least you killed some time and now your crushing depression will help you lose those last 3 lbs because you won't eat anything, or alternatively, you can lose the rest between now and the next notification.

I need to lose some weight, I need to kill some time. I'm going for it.