The waiting is the hardest part

storiaitaliana

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, I'm currently on vacation and instead of making progress on my pile o work or at least giving the apt a good clean, all I do is check these message boards.

actually I just took a break to watch that Christian the lion video

and bawl my eyes out.

it's a good 2 min distraction from all of this.

Congrats! That's great that you've heard already!

About once an hour I tell myself I'm not going to ever come back to this board and stop checking my status on my app pages.

My productivity level has severely dropped --- I don't know how I can manage a few more months of this.

Plus today I was watching CNN so much with that plane coverage - FREAKING SCARY STUFF!

Hi everyone!

I got an acceptance today from what I kind of considered my safety in the beginning (but as I researched the school more, had convinced myself I would never be accepted - the mind is a funny thing!)...I can easily say that it has SO NOT made the wait any less painful!! I just want to knowwwwwwwww already!!

I have to admit, I was very VERY surprised to hear back so soon - as from my obsessive perusing of this board, saw that most of my field's acceptances (and schools) did not send out until late Feb/early March.

Fingers crossed for everyone!

I completely agree that it doesn't help. I heard from one of my "match level" a little while ago, but until I hear from my Top Choice ["reach school"], I don't think I can feel calm.

it's like the second I hit submit on my last (of many, many) application...I wanted to know.

My last two applications were due today, but one was dec. 1 and four others were dec. 15. It feels like I submitted the other five so long ago!

on a side note - I noticed one of my schools sends letters to permanent addresses, not current ones. So if I get a letter, I'll have to drive home to get it or wait for my parents to mail it to me. Great...MORE waiting!! ahhh

I will be happy if my first reply is an acceptance, funding or no.

If the first one is a rejection or wait list, I think I may need to see a psychiatrist...

and thanks to ridgey, I hadn't even thought of that.... now I need a new phone and service :roll:

I've gotten a couple of those but some schools that had deadlines 12/15 never sent me anything. I hope that's not a big deal.

UCLA annoys me the most, I think. Their status site notes that they have everything I sent (which is everything required) yet for some reason it says

Items Required to Complete: Suppl Info

WTF is Suppl Info? I've gone back over the requirements and I've submitted everything listed...now I'm just worried that it's something I overlooked and I wasted time and money applying and they won't even look at my application.

I'm prepared for a rejection or two, but I pray that an acceptance comes first. I don't know how I'd handle a rejection without knowing that I at least got in somewhere.

Same here. If I got into one of the schools that notify early (late January/early February, I think), everything would be fine. The rejections that came along later wouldn't be nearly as painful.

I discovered a way NOT to pass the time:

DO NOT, under any circumstances, search in Medline (or the equivalent in your field) for the person you hope will be your advisor. Obviously, we all did probably did this when we were applying. But at this stage in the game, I discovered it is a recipe for getting desperate for one particular admittance. I had been trying so hard not to get my hopes up (to protect myself from disappointment in the event of across the board rejection) but that is not possible now.

Approx. 4 weeks to go...

I discovered a way NOT to pass the time:

DO NOT, under any circumstances, search in Medline (or the equivalent in your field) for the person you hope will be your advisor. Obviously, we all did probably did this when we were applying. But at this stage in the game, I discovered it is a recipe for getting desperate for one particular admittance. I had been trying so hard not to get my hopes up (to protect myself from disappointment in the event of across the board rejection) but that is not possible now.

Approx. 4 weeks to go...

Nor should you distract yourself by looking at rentals and real estate in your possible new cities. Really biases me towards the universities with the nice and affordable places.

Nor should you distract yourself by looking at rentals and real estate in your possible new cities. Really biases me towards the universities with the nice and affordable places.

Ugh, this was something I was really bad with (oh, who am i kidding? I'm still really bad with it). I tried to delude myself into thinking I was just getting an idea about the cost of living.

Ugh, this was something I was really bad with (oh, who am i kidding? I'm still really bad with it). I tried to delude myself into thinking I was just getting an idea about the cost of living.

You should see home prices in Atlanta (my #1 is Emory)! You can get a 5 bed, 3 bath place about 25 min from the university for $140k! It seems like everyone in Atlanta is going through foreclosure. I know the economy's generally not good, but I honestly hope home prices stay low until I have a down payment. I've already played with the calculators online, and with taxes and PMI and such monthly payments on some of the more modest (3 bed/2 bath homes for less than $100k) come out to at or less than my current rent! Heck, it might be cheaper even without a down payment. But I think it would be best to rent for the first year so you get an idea of which neighborhoods are best!

You got any good finds?

In the same spirit: don't plan your itinerary for backpacking your way through South and Central America to the US. I guess that's only an issue for international students...

Hey all, new here. Yes, I'm still waiting on a whole bunch of replies as well! I got an interview to UPenn Biomedical Graduate Studies, which is a program within their Med School, so I'm excited about that. Check out my sig. for my info.

...I started looking for a real world job yesterday night.

Stressing that I have no skills to get any job to support myself really hasn't helped this stressful waiting part.

Oh, and I did a bit of the whole real estate thing last week too when I watched House Hunters. :lol: It got me excited.

ugh! there is still one school who still hasn't sorted through their holiday mail, so my application is without transcripts well past the first of the year fellowship deadline :(

ugh! there is still one school who still hasn't sorted through their holiday mail, so my application is without transcripts well past the first of the year fellowship deadline :(

Don't worry; that doesn't mean you're out of running for a fellowship.