The waiting is the hardest part

storiaitaliana

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know. I'm pretty sure I won't be hearing anything for a loooooong time...

Creeping closer to the humanities as well! First implicit rejection today (no interview offered)--not too painful! I think that I'll live. 1 down, 13 to go!

Talk about torture... one of the prof.s on the adcom at Dream School was automatically added to my gmail contacts because we emailed back and forth several times during the beginning of the semester. So, extremely awkwardly, I can see when he is online etc. I'm constantly thinking, "AH! What if he's looking at my app. RIGHT NOW?" And then I log out because I can't bear it.

I was wondering... how do you face advisors if you get rejected across the board? My advisor thinks I'll get in nearly everywhere I applied... I think she's a little too optimistic! I'd be so embarrassed. "Yeah... could you just keep that letter on file for another year? Thanks."

Regarding the comment about Iowa and FSU, lets not start or build upon rampant speculation (especially from completely anonymous posters). As you will note, later in the thread, individuals who were willing to include their names and positions (which still can be false if not a verified .edu account) confirmed that decisions have NOT been sent out.

This is one reason I think anonymous posting is such a problem. At least the grad cafe requires a username so we can evaluate the consistency and credibility of repeated posts.

Regarding the comment about Iowa and FSU, lets not start or build upon rampant speculation (especially from completely anonymous posters). As you will note, later in the thread, individuals who were willing to include their names and positions (which still can be false if not a verified .edu account) confirmed that decisions have NOT been sent out.

This is one reason I think anonymous posting is such a problem. At least the grad cafe requires a username so we can evaluate the consistency and credibility of repeated posts.

good point, adaptations. sorry about spreading rumors, all. obviously i'm a bit naive, lesson learned :)

I just got my first acceptance! They are submitting a package for me to the graduate school for funding, so that's TBD (though the website says they fund every student either through the graduate school or the department, I think the amount will vary).

It is a relief to have at least one, but it does just bring a craving for more so there can be some options!

Congrats! You will definitely be going somewhere next year :)

That thought actually makes it harder for me to get through the workday, because despite my best efforts I get slightly excited about checking my email and the mail when I get home, even though I know there will probably be nothing, and then I'm disappointed.

That thought actually makes it harder for me to get through the workday, because despite my best efforts I get slightly excited about checking my email and the mail when I get home, even though I know there will probably be nothing, and then I'm disappointed.

One of these days, though, there WILL be a letter.

All I got today was a letter and a laminated photo from my vet telling me that one of my cats was pet of the week.

thanks all. I've been checking obsessively of course, but really didn't expect to hear this early. Now I know I'll have to wait ages for anything else.

Here's one for the "do you think this means anything?" list:

one of the schools to which I applied has started sending me invitations to department talks, events, etc. Now, they could send these to everyone who applies, but in my fantasies I've been already added to some admitted student's mailing list and they just haven't notified me yet ;)