Overloading in graduate school?

So I thought I was taking the usual entry courses for my program this fall but my advisor suggested I take an additional neuroimaging class to prepare me for neuroimaging research quicker. This sounds like a good idea and I'd love to get started on learning more about neuroimaging but I'm worried that it might be too much on top of TAing, working in the lab, and adjusting to grad school life in general.

How common is it to take an extra class in graduate school? With all the extra stuff going on is it feasible? I have no idea what to expect for graduate level classes.

Thanks for any advice/input :)

I would suggest swapping out one of your current courses for the Neuroimaging one.

Our normal courseload is no more than 3 courses... You *might* get away with taking 4 your first semester (here at least), but not if you're doing research as well. Most people only routinely take 2 courses any semester after the first.

I'd be taking 5 classes total. One is a seminar type class. 3 are part of a module. So I don't think that's too terrible but I really have no idea. Apparently, I won't be doing much lab work my first semester which is why it was suggested. But I would be TAing...

Wow, 5 classes! To me, that seems like a lot as 3 courses is our normal load.

To be honest, your best bet would be to get in touch with current students. They can tell you whether this would be reasonable or not. Sometimes faculty don't always know what is reasonable. The current students' experiences are also fresher and they can remember more about the challenges of transitioning into the program along with the workload in the first semester.

The normal course load varies by program and school. my school is on a quarter system and for us the normal course load is ~2 seminars (just talks that we attend) and 3 courses; different courses have a different number of credits, so there isn't really a fixed number of courses. Regarding the original question, I think it's best to follow the advice of people in the program who have a better idea of how heavy the workload will be.

Even though your advisor suggested it, you probably just want to make sure it doesn't run afoul of some department or school regulation. I know some programs do have restrictions on such things. The last thing they need are burnt-out grad students, especially because of coursework.

I've never had to deal with it (yet). But I think 2 classes is sufficient on top of TAing. I really like to learn my material (after all we do have quals), and so I wouldn't have the time to put the effort in with more than 2 classes.

My friends who were TAs last year took two classes in addition to TAing. They added in a few weekend workshops to fill out the credit load, but several times during the year, they each mentioned how much work it was. The grading/paperwork with the TA position was more time consuming than they thought it would be (and they each ended up with some rather demanding undergrads).

5 classes and TAing seems like a lot. Have you discussed the entire schedule with your advisor?

My friends who were TAs last year took two classes in addition to TAing. They added in a few weekend workshops to fill out the credit load, but several times during the year, they each mentioned how much work it was. The grading/paperwork with the TA position was more time consuming than they thought it would be (and they each ended up with some rather demanding undergrads).

5 classes and TAing seems like a lot. Have you discussed the entire schedule with your advisor?

Yes, as well as some other grad students.

Apparently, it's doable and even though I'll be Taing a class, I won't be doing much research my first semester. And my advisor said that if it's too much, I can drop a class if I need to.

I guess I'll just find out when I get there!!