Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Wow, what a morning! Congrats to all the admits and big hugs to all those hit with rejections. If you were accepted and you are currently ecstatically over the moon, please do enjoy it there. You deserve it and the rest of app season should be smooth friggin sailing.

Now, does somebody want to claim these Stony Brook admits?

Good things come to those who wait, good things come to those who wait.........

Edited by crazedandinfused

Hmm, well my interests are tied to France, so who knows? I surely don't. Maybe our application response is lost in some vortex and we'll have to battle an evil dungeon lord to find out. My guess is I'll die in the process.

I did have a dream last night that I got into one of my schools, and the campus visit was a trip to Copacabana. I'll blame that on too much Portuguese studying yesterday.

Anyway, congrats again on all the acceptences to Northwestern. Sorry to all of those who didn't make it in. Not a fun feeling.

Is it a safe assumption that notifications won't come in over the weekend? I know that there are new postings in the results page, but that could likely be people who are just getting around to posing older (a day old) news.

I wouldn't think it is safe. Think about postal mail. And I know some people have gotten email notices on the weekend. No time is safeeeeeeeeeee! :o:ph34r::D

Yeah I don't think you can assume you won't hear anything. Professors don't really work on business time. If your POI is responsible for sending the acceptance or rejection, he'll probably do it whenever he can. I think it's reasonable to not stay on edge all weekend though. Enjoy the weekend!

I'm very late because you know... I sleep.

I would not have gotten into Princeton if I had not done a Masters. It made my application infinately stronger and even though it wasn't fully funded it wasn't something I regret for a second. The PhD History job market is so rough that any advantage a stronger PhD brand name gives you is to be taken.

I know that only a handful of people in my cohort came in straight out of undergrad. Most have masters degrees (and a couple of law degrees). There was a joke earlier this semester when someone didn't realize this fact tried to puff up his image by talking about his masters degree in a group of the other first years. Someone at the table asked who there had a masters degree and everyone raised their hands. I know that Cornell is mostly taking people with masters degrees as well.

It's not just that they save on funding (Princeton doesn't since you still have to take the course work here), but what it does do is cut out on their burnout rate. Most people burn out in course work so having a masters proves to them that you are capable of scholarship on the graduate level. My disertation topic also came right out of my masters work.

My congratulations to all those who got news, especially about Northwestern - it's a great program and it was my first choice last year.

I find I've entered that weird application mirror-world, where one actually looks forward to the weekends being over, so offices reopen and there is once again the chance of news. Anyone else?

Nat, I completely agree with you. I'm finishing up my M.A. right now and I think it was definitely worth it. I was able to network at more conferences, pick up a second language and provide a thesis chapter as a writing sample which is related to my proposed dissertation topic. Also, two years of TA experience has been invaluable. A funded M.A. is not a bad thing at all. :)

My congratulations to all those who got news, especially about Northwestern - it's a great program and it was my first choice last year.

I find I've entered that weird application mirror-world, where one actually looks forward to the weekends being over, so offices reopen and there is once again the chance of news. Anyone else?

Fear not -- three out of the four e-mails I've received thus far have come on Sunday.

Those of you who earned your MA and studied language at the same time:

Can you please speak to how difficult it was to maintain a full graduate course load AND study a language?

I assume grad school load is tough already, but those of you did this apparently added some stress to your already packed load.

Thanks!

Those of you who earned your MA and studied language at the same time:

Can you please speak to how difficult it was to maintain a full graduate course load AND study a language?

I assume grad school load is tough already, but those of you did this apparently added some stress to your already packed load.

Thanks!

I did an intensive summer program (equivalent to two semesters of language) with no other coursework and then in the fall I did another intensive combo class. It was difficult in the fall, cramming another two semesters of a lang into one, but luckily I only had one grad level history course and TA duties. I didn't get grad level credit for the lang courses but they did count towards keeping my hours at "full-time" status. It was worth it.

Edited by Tigalily

Ugh I'm on here way before sunset... Relaxation fail! I'm soooo surprised people are hearing on weekends! I hope I come home to a letter, though none of the schools posted have been ones I applied to. Crossing fingers I hear from one this week!

ReallyNiceGuy-

I did my MA in an areas studies. I came in with intermediate level in Lamguage 1 but I would have to take a year of 300 level before I could get grad credit in the 400 level. My program require 2 semesters of language with credit. So I want really going to wait that long when I could start Language 2 with already gave read credit at elementary level and it was a bit more necessary for my subfield than Languahe 1. So I did a year of that, plus summer intensive course abroad on the school's dime and then just did independent study with a friend in my 3rd semester while writing my thesis and taking 2 seminars. (it was verrryyyy laid back)'. It was a stressful semester but extremely productive. I continues that independent study in my 4th semester. I'm that semester, I took a "LOA" so I wouldn't have to pay tuition or fees as I finished all of my credits but still needed to keep writing my thesis. Sincey workload was so much lighter, I sat in an intensive course for Lamguage 3.

When I didn't get in anywhere. I took some time off to study Language 3 in intensive courses in Europe. It was just fantastic.

It all depends how your MA program is set up and what level of languages the Grad School will accept for grad credit. So it is one thing to Invesriaw when comparing and planning in your MA work.