Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Rejected :( Very disappointing.. I don't expect to receive any good news from Harvard or Princeton after UT Austin's disaster.. Probably I should get my masters degree in Turkey and then apply to PhD in the US. Good luck to you and congratulations to everyone accepted!

Do not make that assumption. The ivy's are full of people who will gladly tell you about all the rejection letters they got from "lesser" institutions.*

*I do not believe that anything not an ivy is a bad school, the fact that people treat me differently as a scholar (and they do) because of the name of the institution on my name badge at conferences annoys me ever the fuck...

Well thanks for the clarification ... I wonder how many other schools use this process? I would think it could potentially create a sense of "well that's not fair" etc

At least several of the schools that I have applied to consider things like first-generation college student, low income, and ethnic status -- but not from an admissions standpoint, but rather from the standpoint of being capable of providing funding from one particular source or another. The schools that I have considered that do this have fellowship funds that are privately funded by individuals/organizations explicitly seeking to increase diversity of one type or another at the institution. Rather than being unfair, it actually ends up allowing the university to admit more students. As I understand it, this does not mean that a different standard is applied to those students who would end up qualifying for the different funding source because everyone is still passed through the same rigorous acceptance process.

In any event, the notion that academia (or the corporate world, for that matter -- I've spent significant time in both) is a meritocracy can only lead to heartbreak. Academia requires hard work and talent to succeed, but it is quite difficult (but not impossible!) to achieve success without a strong network of patrons, colleagues, and allies.

I just got my Indiana rejection...since this was in my top three...I'm really sad. I haven't even read the email yet but I saw it pop up on gmail notifier. :( Good morning to me.

:( It's definitely the best rejection letter I've gotten thus far. Sorry dear. It does really suck that you and Gene had to start the morning off to that.

*I do not believe that anything not an ivy is a bad school, the fact that people treat me differently as a scholar (and they do) because of the name of the institution on my name badge at conferences annoys me ever the fuck...

agreed. they see past my experience, my hard work, etc and just see the school.

:( It's definitely the best rejection letter I've gotten thus far. Sorry dear. It does really suck that you and Gene had to start the morning off to that.

Thanks. You're right, its more appropriate than other letters that I'm sure get sent out. I wasn't too attached to Indiana because my research interests took a bit of a change in the last year, but I still decided to see them out. Nonetheless, my POI there was pretty flaky with emails, making me wonder how he handled advising duties (he would set up phone meetings, then flake, then email 3 weeks later apologizing profusely, reschedule, then flake again).

Awesome news!!! But, how early does your mail get delivered???

It was actually in email form, not snail mail... I don't think my postman is quiet diligent enough to get me my mail by 6 am. I was only up to finish working on Attic Greek homework, but that is obviously not getting done...

It was actually in email form, not snail mail... I don't think my postman is quiet diligent enough to get me my mail by 6 am. I was only up to finish working on Attic Greek homework, but that is obviously not getting done...

sure, too much revelling, fist-pumping and "Yes!!!!!!"-ing to be done...resume life again on Friday, better yet- Monday if possible...

I must admit...I'm feeling like quite the loser right now seeing as I have two rejections and no acceptances... :( Yes, yes I will take my own advice and try again (as was always planned)...but still. :(

don't know if you're a sports fan or not, buts lots of times, a team will start off losing by 3-4 runs after 2 innings (baseball), 10-13 points after a quarter (football or basketball) and end dominating the rest of the game and winning easily...

...there are many other parallels that paint the same picture (such as bombing the first assigment and finishing a class with a 94%)...

the point: you have way too many apps still in play to get defeatist...

...by the time you blink you will be choosing between your 3-4 acceptances ("do I prefer the quaintness and seasonal changes of Urbana-Champaign or the sunshine and bustle of SoCal?")...

you'll see...

At least several of the schools that I have applied to consider things like first-generation college student, low income, and ethnic status -- but not from an admissions standpoint, but rather from the standpoint of being capable of providing funding from one particular source or another. The schools that I have considered that do this have fellowship funds that are privately funded by individuals/organizations explicitly seeking to increase diversity of one type or another at the institution. Rather than being unfair, it actually ends up allowing the university to admit more students. As I understand it, this does not mean that a different standard is applied to those students who would end up qualifying for the different funding source because everyone is still passed through the same rigorous acceptance process.

Well see then I don't think anyone can complain if that is the only criteria really

I just got my official acceptance to UChicago's History department! This might be a tad on the early side since I am currently a student there but I bet you all will hear good news this week! If you end up being deferred to the terminal MA program, please feel free to contact me about it. I did their masters program and it was a really smart decision for me.

Good luck to you all!

I just got my official acceptance to UChicago's History department! This might be a tad on the early side since I am currently a student there but I bet you all will hear good news this week! If you end up being deferred to the terminal MA program, please feel free to contact me about it. I did their masters program and it was a really smart decision for me.

Good luck to you all!

Wow! Congratulations! Did you get an official notice or was it a personal communication from POI/DGS? If you don't mind me asking, of course!