Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Yep, same department -- I received an email from the chair of the graduate committee on February 8th, with an invite to the visiting day on March 16th. I don't know how else their admissions process works (whether they sent all their acceptances out then or if they start with a first wave of offers like some other schools), but I do know from the email that there's a waiting list in place. On their website they have admissions statistics (the most recent year on the chart is 2008), and they seem to average a little over 30 offers each year for an incoming class of 15-18.

Thanks so much for the info, Safferz. I guess it's probably safe to say that if they did do a first wave of offers, those of us who are still waiting to hear anything probably weren't in the first wave. I'll probably just assume an impending UPenn rejection/waitlist and be pleasantly surprised if I'm proven incorrect over the next couple of weeks.

I'll probably head back into lurk mode now, but I wish the best of luck to everyone on here.

I make killer, fudgy brownies. I worked on this particular recipe for 3 years to get it perfect.

um well I'm a killer fudge brownie eater ... so ...you know if you ever need a judge ... right here

As a graduate of two of the three schools with legitimate claims to the oldest state university in the country I can't help but find the "THE" Ohio State University business the silliest thing I've ever heard.

Ha. I can't disagree. It think it's got something to do with Ohio University, and the fact that it's easy to confuse them. Though that does happen in other states, which don't seem particularly bothered about the use of articles.

Like I said way before, my POI put that down in my SOP- "It's THE Ohio State University.". Ever since, I've been sensitive to that definite article... "I got into THE Ohio State University!" (Or "I got into Ohio State!"). *sigh* I don't know if it's worth the extra breath.

FWIW, I'm trying to figure out how to hide my sweats and shirts in the Buckeye land. Take a guess where I did my MA. ;) PM me with your answer.

That state up north? :blink:

This is unrelated to acceptances/rejections, but I was wondering how you are all mentally/physically faring since the application season began this fall. I find that I am currently exhausted. I feel raw inside, like I am about to get sick but never catch anything, and I could probably sleep away a day or two if given the chance... I basically feel like a wrung-out rag that is hungover... :(

This is unrelated to acceptances/rejections, but I was wondering how you are all mentally/physically faring since the application season began this fall. I find that I am currently exhausted. I feel raw inside, like I am about to get sick but never catch anything, and I could probably sleep away a day or two if given the chance... I basically feel like a wrung-out rag that is hungover... :(

I have gained 5 lbs. from eating ice cream.

Hi there. I'm new to the forum and like many of you on here, I'm waiting, waiting, waiting. Love the bake sale idea! :) I'm excited to be part of this experience and I've already read through quite a bit of this thread. Very helpful indeed. If anyone has information on when Pittsburgh decisions are expected, please do share! Cheers.

I was giggling yesterday about how silly THE Ohio State University sounds and then I remembered, I went to THE New School... erm, technically, "Eugene Lang College, THE New School for Liberal Arts." THE comma and everything. So silly, but I got use to saying it by my second year, I guess.

Or was it StrangeLight that had a Canadian MA? In that case, I do apologize for thinking that was an America's hat/51st state type joke (we're polite :))

*puts hockey gloves back on and skates away*

i did my undergrad in canada, my MA/PhD in the states. i think tickle is referring to a college football rivalry.

also, i will be the first to grab a gun and join the resistance if the US tries to revive the manifest destiny shit in canada. we ain't that polite. just passive agressive.

i did my undergrad in canada, my MA/PhD in the states. i think tickle is referring to a college football rivalry.

also, i will be the first to grab a gun and join the resistance if the US tries to revive the manifest destiny shit in canada. we ain't that polite. just passive agressive.

SL is Canadian? Uh oh Nat there might be an opening for the top spot .... can't have a Canadian #1 can we?

Someone said a few pages (okay, maybe 10 pages, but probably a couple days) ago that Cornell wasn't meeting until the end of the month...but according to the results survey they've typically released decisions around mid-February. Is the end of the month meeting thing just an anomaly this year, or will some decisions mayyyybe be coming out this week? (Pretty please?!)

I felt like a junkie last night too... yikes. We broke GC last night.

My thoughts EXACTLY.

oh, bake sale. Okay, we've got brownies, SmittenKitchne cookies, pupusas, cakes... should we include red velvet just because it's Valentine's Day? How much should they be? Can we do it on a sliding scale?

Someone said a few pages (okay, maybe 10 pages, but probably a couple days) ago that Cornell wasn't meeting until the end of the month...but according to the results survey they've typically released decisions around mid-February. Is the end of the month meeting thing just an anomaly this year, or will some decisions mayyyybe be coming out this week? (Pretty please?!)

I randomly scan through this forum but have never posted. Regarding Cornell: Decisions are being made right now, as in they have been meeting and are narrowing it down. Not sure when everything will be finalized, but it shouldn't be too much longer.

I randomly scan through this forum but have never posted. Regarding Cornell: Decisions are being made right now, as in they have been meeting and are narrowing it down. Not sure when everything will be finalized, but it shouldn't be too much longer.

Thank you for the info!! I really appreciate it.