Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Wow Safferz. What the hell did you do to your application to make you so awesome. Geez. I feel like I'll go away for two years, get an MA and STILL not have as good of a run as you. (This is all in good fun btw).

I just realized that on one of my applications my address wasn't typed in correctly. Too late to change it and haven't heard from this particular school, so I guess someone else will be receiving my good/bad news for me. Unless, I receive notification on e-mail.

I randomly scan through this forum but have never posted. Regarding Cornell: Decisions are being made right now, as in they have been meeting and are narrowing it down. Not sure when everything will be finalized, but it shouldn't be too much longer.

Thanks much for taking the time to register and respond.

WELL DONE, Safferz! Now you've cleaned up 4 Ivies.. sure you didn't apply to Cornell? You didn't apply to Brown, too bad. Would've been fun to see if anyone can get in all 6 Ivies that offer history PhD.

Keikei, you have quite a few wonderful role models on this forum!

Keikei, you have quite a few wonderful role models on this forum!

I know! :D believe me as more as I think about the opportunity, I'm truly excited to reapply and shoot even higher (especially if Michigan lets me apply next time)!

But come on, you know we can't NOT be jealous of a sweep like Safferz! It's a good jealous though.

Clearly we know what Safferz's first choice was *amused*

I didn't know it either until I found myself waiting for one more school :lol:

So happy!! Thanks everyone, I'm pretty overwhelmed by my results since that first rejection!

Safferz

Do you have a publication in a top tier journal in your field or something?

Nope, but I do have a paper published in a relatively unknown journal that's the only one for the region I study in Northeast Africa, and a few undergrad journals. I don't really know what did it, my application overall was strong but so are most applications these schools receive. The only school I applied to that has professors that work on the Horn of Africa is UPenn and West Africa tends to dominate Africa in most history departments, so I was worried I didn't have a fit anywhere... so it could also be that my research is unique in that way and this year some departments wanted a student that looks at a different region of Africa.

S/he is the hot stuff. It's not just the pubs, or paper, or the languages (though they all help). It's because s/he is doing some of the hottest, trendiest topics right now- Africa, gender, and decolonization. People are really into mid-20th century/post WWII stuff. A little more trendy than my topics.

Well, I was hoping to meet you at Princeton's visiting weekend. Oh well... congradulations. I'm sure you'll have broken a few hearts here.

But hopefully will cheer up someone on the waiting list soon! I'll decline their offer tonight, and I've already made my travel arrangements to the NYC area so I'll be visiting the two remaining schools before Harvard's visiting day. I'm certain it's my first choice, but you never know until you visit and carefully weigh your options.

But hopefully will cheer up someone on the waiting list soon! I'll decline their offer tonight, and I've already made my travel arrangements to the NYC area so I'll be visiting the two remaining schools before Harvard's visiting day. I'm certain it's my first choice, but you never know until you visit and carefully weigh your options.

I'm pretty in awe of your decisiveness, I have to say.

The only school I applied to that has professors that work on the Horn of Africa is UPenn and West Africa tends to dominate Africa in most history departments, so I was worried I didn't have a fit anywhere... so it could also be that my research is unique in that way and this year some departments wanted a student that looks at a different region of Africa.

That's an interesting twist on the idea of "fit." It can be as much about what they lack as it is what their strengths are. What a wacky process. Congrats Safferz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In any case, Safferz, this just to be your best Valentine's Day gift in your life so forth, right? :) And for anyone else who has received offers from Harvard today.