Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

First time poster, moderate lurker. Does anyone know anything about Tulane's timeline? I checked the results forum and noticed they seem to come late March. I'm hoping that there is a chance, it will be sooner since it seems a lot of schools were accelerated this cycle. Last school I'm waiting on!

Edited by Eme1560

For those who received a decision from CUNY via website: where do you go to access that information? My "application summary" just has a review of my information- nothing about a decision (even so much as a "no decision" anywhere). This is the last school I think I have a chance with and the less-rational part of me is starting to panic that my application wasn't processed somehow, even though the website says it was.

You're probably being considered for MAPSS (or MAPPHSSES whatever), since no one has posted on the board that they were offered it.

Yeah, I think straight rejections are coming first, then MAPSS. If anyone wants any info on MAPSS, PM me, because I went through the program last year and couldn't have been happier.

For all other potential UW-M students, I heard back from my POI on the funding situation today and announcements should be arriving very soon. Unfortunately, I'm an alternate for what my POI called a "prestigious Chancellor's fellowship." That's not bad news necessarily, but still a bit of a disappointment since I was really hoping UW would come through. I suppose I'll just have to focus my energy on my well-funded offer from UT-Austin and the upcoming visit this weekend. :)

Best of luck to all other potential recipients!

Sooooooooooo what is the deal with Ohio State? I'm seeing people post rejections. A couple of grads at my school said that OSU just never notified them of anything and to this day their application status probably says "In Review." But I've seen people on the big board posting rejections via website. So if I haven't heard, am I in some weird not-quite-rejected limbo?

Thoughts?

Also got chicago rejection. I do find it funny that people get so worked up about form/wording of rejections. If I am ever in the position to word rejection letters they will read something like: "I regret to inform you that you suck and your application was awful."

Hmm -- if that is truly the case, one can only hope that you are never in such a position. Our field is one in which collegiality is highly valued. To completely disregard how others might feel is certainly far from being tactful.

Edited by virmundi

Sooooooooooo what is the deal with Ohio State? I'm seeing people post rejections. A couple of grads at my school said that OSU just never notified them of anything and to this day their application status probably says "In Review." But I've seen people on the big board posting rejections via website. So if I haven't heard, am I in some weird not-quite-rejected limbo?

Thoughts?

I'm in the same boat. Someone mentioned that OSU uses a more rolling model than many other schools. But I really don't know how it works. If nothing changes after a few more weeks, I may call asking for either a decision or a refund. (except I'll be polite)

For some reason, while I was writing this post, it occurred to me that I've almost certainly read every single post in this thread. At over 4,000 now, we're talking about a serious time commitment. Anyone else?

For all other potential UW-M students, I heard back from my POI on the funding situation today and announcements should be arriving very soon. Unfortunately, I'm an alternate for what my POI called a "prestigious Chancellor's fellowship." That's not bad news necessarily, but still a bit of a disappointment since I was really hoping UW would come through. I suppose I'll just have to focus my energy on my well-funded offer from UT-Austin and the upcoming visit this weekend. :)

Best of luck to all other potential recipients!

Thanks for the info...I guess we'll see what 'real soon' means in the land of ice and cheese...

if you don't mind me asking (and I guess more importantly, if you dont mind answering...) does your alternate status for that award mean that as of now you have no funding, or that you have some lesser funding that doesn't hold up to the UT offer?

So is tomorrow the offical first day people are allowed to turn into polite stalkers?

I believe for most programs yes. Some, such as UNC-CH said "by mid march," but I am definitely going to making some inquiries by next week. Still waiting on 6 schools. Preposterous.

Thanks for the info...I guess we'll see what 'real soon' means in the land of ice and cheese...

if you don't mind me asking (and I guess more importantly, if you dont mind answering...) does your alternate status for that award mean that as of now you have no funding, or that you have some lesser funding that doesn't hold up to the UT offer?

From what I understand, it's an all or nothing situation, at least for me. It seems that if this fellowship doesn't come through, then they won't be able to offer me anything. I thought that was sort of strange, but perhaps it depends on where your sources of funding are coming from (i.e. grad school or department) as to whether or not it is tiered.

I'm sending good thoughts your way, HnP!

I believe for most programs yes. Some, such as UNC-CH said "by mid march," but I am definitely going to making some inquiries by next week. Still waiting on 6 schools. Preposterous.

Guess it's time to dip into my repetoire of characters to call the schools with!