Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

oseirus,

Can you be the ghost of frederick jackson turner and call UW-M and tell them that if they dont give me guaranteed multi-year funding, you are going to sick the ghost of joseph mccarthy on them...

I will do you one better ... I will be an assistant from Scott Walker's office ... threatening tenured professorships if you aren't given funding

That's a great idea. I think I'm also going to call the schools that rejected me and ask if they have Prince Albert in a can or if their refrigerators are running.

Taking notes here

Figured I'd ask you guys since you all know more than me probably!

If you go for an MA to the school you really wanted to get your PhD at, when it comes time, are there any chances at all of getting in for the PhD? Like do certain universities prefer not to take students who did their terminal MAs at their university?

Is it better to go somewhere else for the MA and then hope to get into the dream school for the PhD?

Sorry ahead of time if it sounds like a silly question! Just trying to work out a game-plan....

If you go for an MA to the school you really wanted to get your PhD at, when it comes time, are there any chances at all of getting in for the PhD? Like do certain universities prefer not to take students who did their terminal MAs at their university?

Is it better to go somewhere else for the MA and then hope to get into the dream school for the PhD?

Sorry ahead of time if it sounds like a silly question! Just trying to work out a game-plan....

I think that really depends on the program, and obviously the impression which you make upon the faculty (I'm not saying you'd make a bad impression, I'm just saying that weighs heavily). I'm still in undergrad but the DGS here at my school wouldn't let me apply for our PhD and was somewhat reluctant to let me apply for the MA because it would be considered "academically incestuous" and damage my chances of being hired. I've heard schools prefer more variety in your degree. But then again, anyone who does an accelerated PhD is going to have the MA and PhD from the same school. So I guess what I'm trying to say is, it depends on the program and the DGS or your POI would probably be more than willing to provide insight into their department's opinion.

it's actually an unwritten rule of academia that schools won't admit terminal MA students to their PhD programs, even if you're going from an interdisciplinary "studies" MA to a single discipline PhD. on rare occasions, exceptions have been made for sure, but i've lost track of how many times i've heard people told by POIs at their terminal MA that they'll "definitely" get into the PhD at that same school and then they don't.

i myself was discouraged from attending an interdisciplinary MA at the school i wanted to get my PhD from. my POI told me outright that their department didn't accept students from the X studies program into the history PhD program because, in their minds, when you accept a terminal MA at their institution, that is as far as you can go at that school.

my suggestion, however, is to go with the best funded offer open to you. if that's a funded terminal MA at your dream school, then do it. your "dream" may shift and your MA will open doors to many other (better?) institutions. if you're considering an unfunded terminal MA at your dream school, know that you will have less chance of doing your PhD there than if you take a year off to work on languages and rewrite your application. the general rule of thumb is, if they won't fund you for an MA, they won't fund you for a PhD either, regardless of how much you prove yourself to the profs you have contact with. i think the exceptions to this rule have happened when the terminal MA POIs have had a lot of sway in the admissions process in a given year (i.e. they're "owed" a student or they're on the adcom, etc.).

Edited by StrangeLight

Hey guys. Funny story that i wanted to tell yesterday but didnt have a chance to. when I found out I was wait listed (or not wait listed since rutgers specifically told me its not a wait list- though clearly it is), I was in the middle of getting my legs waxed. I started crying, and the woman doing the waxing thought I was in pain! I tried to explain to her what happened. She didnt speak much English, but when she understood I was crying happy tears, she told the whole place "good news! Good news!" it was a funny place and time to cry tears of relief!

Good luck to us all today and tomorrow! Hopefully we will all have more moments of happy tears in front of strangers!

I am administering a world civ mid-term as we speak...I love the smell of sizzling brain cells in the morning...

You should stroll behind some of the students, look @ their papers and gravely shake your head as they've written utter nonsense. Then walk back to your desk & look in their direction and just sigh loudly. I only suggest this b/c it seems mean spirited, missplaced, and utterly devoid of rational, kind of like ....

Hello University of Florida admits...I'm in too, but waitlisted for funding. The DGS said that funding could become available soon, but no guarantees. Are those admitted highly considering UF, on the fence, etc.? Congrats to everyone else!

Hello University of Florida admits...I'm in too, but waitlisted for funding. The DGS said that funding could become available soon, but no guarantees. Are those admitted highly considering UF, on the fence, etc.? Congrats to everyone else!

Funding is key

Hello and congrats on your acceptance. I was also accepted and waitlisted for funding. UF is one of my top choices depending on how funding pans out. Anyone know how many applications they received? I was told they accepted 10 students but I don't know how many were funded - or what funded even means at UF these days. Anyone with more information?

Hi everyone, anyone here applied to SUNY Binghamton this year? I received an email from my POI today saying that he Graduate Committee held its first admissions meeting yesterday. They're still in the process of reviewing applications and making funding decisions. Final results will come out in about two weeks.

Hi everyone, anyone here applied to SUNY Binghamton this year? I received an email from my POI today saying that he Graduate Committee held its first admissions meeting yesterday. They're still in the process of reviewing applications and making funding decisions. Final results will come out in about two weeks.

I did! But for the MA program. Omg, I cannot wait two more weeks. It's my only other viable option left and I'm soooo desperate to know. What's your field?

it's actually an unwritten rule of academia that schools won't admit terminal MA students to their PhD programs, even if you're going from an interdisciplinary "studies" MA to a single discipline PhD. on rare occasions, exceptions have been made for sure, but i've lost track of how many times i've heard people told by POIs at their terminal MA that they'll "definitely" get into the PhD at that same school and then they don't.

i myself was discouraged from attending an interdisciplinary MA at the school i wanted to get my PhD from. my POI told me outright that their department didn't accept students from the X studies program into the history PhD program because, in their minds, when you accept a terminal MA at their institution, that is as far as you can go at that school.

my suggestion, however, is to go with the best funded offer open to you. if that's a funded terminal MA at your dream school, then do it. your "dream" may shift and your MA will open doors to many other (better?) institutions. if you're considering an unfunded terminal MA at your dream school, know that you will have less chance of doing your PhD there than if you take a year off to work on languages and rewrite your application. the general rule of thumb is, if they won't fund you for an MA, they won't fund you for a PhD either, regardless of how much you prove yourself to the profs you have contact with. i think the exceptions to this rule have happened when the terminal MA POIs have had a lot of sway in the admissions process in a given year (i.e. they're "owed" a student or they're on the adcom, etc.).

Strangelight usually gives spot-on advice, but I think this is not at all universally true. My program routinely - I would even say preferentially - admits students from the MA program that is closely connected to it, and I know people who've been admitted from MA programs to the PhD at other schools as well. It's possible this phenomenon is specific to my subfield (East Asian history), but going to an MA at your dream school may well be helpful at getting in to the PhD there. It all depends on the program's attitude.

oh make no mistake, getting a terminal MA sets you up VERY well for admissions at other schools, including "the top programs." a lot of schools prefer to accept applicants who already hold MAs because they have already proven themselves capable of doing graduate-level work. it's just that, from what i've seen, usually students have not been able to successfully move from terminal MAs to PhDs at the same institution. it's actually nice to know that not all programs make that part of their practice, but i know that NYU, chicago, and yale (usually) do.

I completed my MA at UChicago and was then admitted into their PhD program. It was a huge help to have the faculty know me, my work, and my work ethic. It is not just about being a good scholar, but also a good colleague (ie. attending every department organized lecture that we held, being sociable, etc.) It also seemed to help me in my applications to other departments. Remember, an MA isn't a piece of paper, its showing that you are capable of doing the work and assimilating to a certain life-style and academic community.

Good luck to all of you deciding about MA programs and feel free to PM me about UChicago's terminal masters program!

Just admitted to the University of Connecticut. My first acceptance. Funding is still mysterious. I'm really pleased, although I'm still planning to see how W&M and Indiana turn out.

I would have found out sooner, but my mail client thought that UConn's email was junk mail. I didn't check it until I saw someone else posted on the results board.

oh make no mistake, getting a terminal MA sets you up VERY well for admissions at other schools, including "the top programs." a lot of schools prefer to accept applicants who already hold MAs because they have already proven themselves capable of doing graduate-level work. it's just that, from what i've seen, usually students have not been able to successfully move from terminal MAs to PhDs at the same institution. it's actually nice to know that not all programs make that part of their practice, but i know that NYU, chicago, and yale (usually) do.

I'm not certain about NYU or Yale, but of 43 Chicago social sciences MA's who applied for a Chicago PhD last year, 18 were accepted. Within history, it was 7 out of (I believe) 12.