Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Hi I'm one of the Rutgers admits. Very excited. I got an email from the Vice-Chair of Grad Admissions, not a POI.

Congrats! Do you think this was a mass email, then? Also, would you mind sharing your field? Thank you!

goldie, when do you expect to hear from Hogwarts? What's the most generous financial package that they have? Would it be something that Northwestern can match? Wait, Northwestern doesn't have Albus Dumbledore... :)

Congratulations to Rutgers admits. That was another school I almost applied to, but didn't quite. Good luck to the other Rutgers hopefuls, who I'm sure are totally on edge right now.

Today is finally Feb 15. Back in the dreary days of December and January, we kept mentioning this day as if it held some magical properties. I bet it will be another relatively quiet day.

(prepared to eat my words)

Thanks, dragonfly. And congrats again!

TMP: Well, I'm not sure when Hogwarts typically begins notifications. I'm trying to weigh it against NU though, since that was one of my top choices, and seems like pretty much the best fit I could ask for. But there's no quidditch, or feasts, or magic... though I've heard some of the buildings resemble Hogwarts? ;)

chit-chat question: if i have only ~1 semester of my language and am entering my program in the fall, would y'all suggest doing something hardcore like middlebury this summer? or would a regular summer language class at a local class be ok? there's no right answer, i know, but any general thoughts would be helpful...

chit-chat question: if i have only ~1 semester of my language and am entering my program in the fall, would y'all suggest doing something hardcore like middlebury this summer? or would a regular summer language class at a local class be ok? there's no right answer, i know, but any general thoughts would be helpful...

What language?

Glad to see that other people on here support Arsenal. 2:45 Fox Soccer Channel!!!!

IU question. Last name probably isn't why people are hearing since they all seemed to go out last night at basically the same time. They were also all wait lists and for PhD programs, so they are probably all done together.

Congrats to the Rutgers acceptees!

I have no idea what I am going to be doing this summer. It really depends on whether I get into a program... There are just too many variables right now for me to make plans. I do have a conference paper to write for a conference at the end of August... That is the only concrete project I have on the table!

I think for my own sanity I ought to just presume I'm going to Wash U and start making plans for that (not that anything is wrong with Wash U of course!). Tired of worrying about other schools.

What?! That's crazy, you've only heard back from 2.5 schools (Probably yale?). For your sanity, you should proudly hold out for their decisions!

What?! That's crazy, you've only heard back from 2.5 schools (Probably yale?). For your sanity, you should proudly hold out for their decisions!

I didn't mean do anything official yet. Just stop worrying and start thinking about the fact that I have a grad school to go to--and learn as much as possible about it--rather than obssess over the ones I haven't heard from.

Edited by taybaxter