Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Hi ! I have to share my astonishment at my results so far- has ANYONE heard of this!?! I have now been waitlisted at 3 programs- IU, Illinois, and Northwestern, but still no firm acceptances. Tell me honestly, what are my chances of getting in come April- to ANY of these schools! I have been informed by IU at least, that I am in the upper 25% . Not sure what that means... but I am confuddled by this whole thing! What are the odds!?

Lol, runner09 - in the Fall 2011 app cycle, with all applications being equal, you had a 52/1010 chance of being wait-listed at one school (~5%). So statistics (probabilities) not failing me, (52/1,010)*(51/1,009)*(50/1,008) = 132,600/1,027,242,720 or about 1 in 10,000, which, evidently (according to a quick google search), are the same odds as finding a four-leafed clover on your first try.

Enough numbers for now... I am going to look up a phrase I just came across in my readings - "rhetorical question" - I wonder what it means?

Ooohhh Aedes, you are amazing. Those graphs are purdy.

I would love to be able to work in quant stuff eventually. Minoring in polisci made me appreciate all those methods and stuff. And it was badass to be the only one in my Political Analysis to get an A, when I was the only non-major.

Why hello there Yale. Thanks for stopping by. What's this? You want to reject me for the second time? O, ok. At least it's not Valentine's Day this year. I'll try not to hold it against you ;-). Can I get a refund?

Congrats to all of the Yale students who were accepted! One of my close friends is a PhD student there, and he is just loving it. It really is a wonderful place to get your PhD :).

Ooohhh Aedes, you are amazing. Those graphs are purdy.

I would love to be able to work in quant stuff eventually. Minoring in polisci made me appreciate all those methods and stuff. And it was badass to be the only one in my Political Analysis to get an A, when I was the only non-major.

Nice, Kelkel! I am a big proponent of mixed methods - why not try to study a topic from different perspectives?

Nice, Kelkel! I am a big proponent of mixed methods - why not try to study a topic from different perspectives?

I agree! Guys, I'm so excited and ready to get back to studying and having that pressure on me. It's weird. That's why I want to get through Feb to March because now I just really want to put pen to paper and say, "Yes I'm going to _______."

One of my close friends is a PhD student there, and he is just loving it. It really is a wonderful place to get your PhD :).

would you mind elaborating on this? (why he loves it...advisor? the people? the program itself? etc) via PM would be fine if you'd prefer...for some reason I can't get the 'send message' button to work.

I love the graphs, they remind me of the days back when I was a math major...

All of the California results on the board are making me wonder...anybody have any idea when UCSB will be sending out their notifications?

would you mind elaborating on this? (why he loves it...advisor? the people? the program itself? etc) via PM would be fine if you'd prefer...for some reason I can't get the 'send message' button to work.

His adviser is fantastic and incredibly supportive, as are the other professors. The program is one of the richer ones, and its resources are great (more than just library, etc). The cohort is kind and supportive, and the students you'll teach are smart and engaged. Sounds pretty good to me! Happy to go into more specifics if you'd like...PM me if you'd like.

Also, New Haven might not be the prettiest place to live, BUT it is very affordable on the budget you get. That's a nice perk.

I love the graphs, they remind me of the days back when I was a math major...

All of the California results on the board are making me wonder...anybody have any idea when UCSB will be sending out their notifications?

Jrah, I received my official notification from UCSB earlier in the week... I don't know what their timeframe is however. You may want to see if they have a decision up for you on the application page...?

Just got some encouraging news from Indiana... :) It's really the first encouraging sign I've received this year, so I'm overreacting with joy.

I guess I'm so pleased because it's a validation that I didn't completely, utterly screw up my application and that I am at least worthy of consideration at a good history program.

Just got some encouraging news from Indiana... :) It's really the first encouraging sign I've received this year, so I'm overreacting with joy.

I guess I'm so pleased because it's a validation that I didn't completely, utterly screw up my application and that I am at least worthy of consideration at a good history program.

yay! But what kind of encouraging news exactly? Straight admit? Waitlist? Masters? Tell ussss!

Jrah, I received my official notification from UCSB earlier in the week... I don't know what their timeframe is however. You may want to see if they have a decision up for you on the application page...?

No decision is up yet on my application, it just says "Submitted." Was there a link that popped up for you?

to people waiting on pittsburgh,

they're super not done with admissions. they usually don't notify people of acceptances or rejections until the first week of march, and this year looks no different. sit tight. :)

Thanks, Strangelight for the update! Now I can relax a little. Condolences to all those that received Yale rejections. Now if only University of Washington would give us their decisions..... ;)

yay! But what kind of encouraging news exactly? Straight admit? Waitlist? Masters? Tell ussss!

Broke down and emailed the DGS. I know - it doesn't help anything, and I'm lucky that she was very kind - but I was honestly concerned that my application hadn't been received, or something of that sort.

No official offer/waitlist yet. Just encouraging words indicating that my fondest hopes were likely true. Anyone else who's yet to hear from IU feel free to PM me for more details.

No decision is up yet on my application, it just says "Submitted." Was there a link that popped up for you?

There is actually a new box on my page that links to a decision letter... Sorry that you haven't heard anything yet -- again, I don't know what their process is, so it is very possible that they are still putting acceptances onto the site!

outside of princeton did any of the other Ivies waitlist people? Also, is it strange that only one person has been rejected from Columbia so far? Or is this par for the course?

I noticed two Columbia rejections on the results page...but yes, still very strange I think.

*growing envious of the possible Indiana acceptees... the lucky 10 people out of 300 applications*

Now I'm tempted to e-mail my POIs there to make sure that they didn't make a HUGE mistake. <_<

I noticed two Columbia rejections on the results page...but yes, still very strange I think.

And I think -- if I interpreted those rejections correctly -- they were both Medievalists who were contacted by a POI. So, seems like a kindness on the part of that particular POI.

But yes. If Columbia is going to reject me, I'd like them to hurry up and yank the bandaid off already. Same for UNC. The posting that says someone talked to the UNC coordinator who said if you didn't hear by the end of this week "it would be wise to look at other schools"? That's still too vague for my taste.

I'm waiting for fat ladies. And cold, hard, rejection letters.