Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

You guys are the best. I was literally on my porch today angrily crumpling up a handful of Target and Rite Aid circulars, wailing "why, why whyyyyyyyyyy???" I must remember to laugh at myself. :)

I hope you recycled sir

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers here, though I fear I might...

The requests for details via PM from rejectees strkes me as poor etiquette and I'll tell you why...

The only reason I would want details of someone else's rejection would be to hopefully distinguish my circumstances from theirs. For instance, did the rejectee receive a template email from the DGS, where I did not? Does the rejectee's status on the website show the rejection, where mine does not? These are the only reasons I would care about the details of someone else's rejections.

If there are other motivations, then obviously I might reconsider my thoughts on the matter. Assuming that these are the motivations for these requests, however, I would respectfully suggest that it is better decorum to remain anxious (and in the hunt) than to ask some one who is smarting (or worse!) from a fresh rejection to spell out the details so that you can have that peace of mind...

Again, if I am off base on my assumption of motivation, I apologize. But, like I said, this would be my only motivation for wanting details on somebody else's rejection...and in any event, its just my humble opinion...

If the results for Georgetown are online, I just want to know where to look! I don't have any other ulterior motives and I doubt the other posters do either. But Hopin' I do understand your point.

Again, if I am off base on my assumption of motivation, I apologize. But, like I said, this would be my only motivation for wanting details on somebody else's rejection...and in any event, its just my humble opinion...

Well, if this is in reference to me then you're a little off base but that's ok. The PM was sent because I'm a former Latin Americanist/ current transnationalist; my grandfather was a somewhat important figure in Guatemalan history, so I just let the poster know.

No feathers ruffled!! You couldn't have known that, and given how crazy I've been I wouldn't put such a move past me either. If that post wasn't in reference to me, well, then there goes my ego again. It's all good!

I do take your point and if that had been my motive, yes, it would have been incredibly callous.

Edited by crazedandinfused

The Umass admit isn't me, but I am glad to see some movement on the results survey fome them... frightened that I am not getting in...it is my first choice, but I guess we'll see. And maybe even this week!

Sandy, every one on the history forum tends to prove that they are good people...especially you...I probably should have, actually, I definitely should have PM'd you and the others instead of calling you out...perhaps you did not realize how the requests came across to those reading them...

CnI- wasn't referring to you at all...ego monger! j/k :)

anyways, we can now return to our regularly scheduled happy family (insert effective yet corny remark from oseirus here...)

Edited by Hopin'-n-Prayin'

Another Columbia rejection is up. My condolences to the person who received it!

Why are Columbia rejections trickling out so irregularly? Is it because these are informal POI communications and official notification hasn't come yet?

I think one of the accepted candidates on this thread said that the info for visiting days was recently sent to all accepted folks (34 in total, apparently). So, it does seem like it's a done deal. But, why is it taking such a while to get the rejections out?

Another Columbia rejection is up. My condolences to the person who received it!

Why are Columbia rejections trickling out so irregularly? Is it because these are informal POI communications and official notification hasn't come yet?

I think one of the accepted candidates on this thread said that the info for visiting days was recently sent to all accepted folks (34 in total, apparently). So, it does seem like it's a done deal. But, why is it taking such a while to get the rejections out?

I really don't know. Perhaps they are trying to keep as many people on the line as possible in case their top selections go elsewhere? I have yet to hear from them either. If the Ivy Leagues take an average of 20 each, that's the top 160 applicants taken right away. Then Stanford, Duke, UNC, N. Western, Virginia and the like probably take another 100, possibly some of the top 160 themselves. So maybe Columbia realizes they might have to dip out of their top 200 eventually and are just not quite willing to drop the ax?

Sandy, every one on the history forum tends to prove that they are good people...especially you...I probably should have, actually, I definitely should have PM'd you and the others instead of calling you out...perhaps you did not realize how the requests came across to those reading them...

No worries! I do understand how they looked, and I am sorry for that.

Now back to the history forum love and support fest! :)

Don't give up hope yet! I don't think everyone heard from UCLA, since yesterday was just all these folks who got unfunded offers. Maybe they are doing things in waves. The rest of the people who heard previously heard from POIs, so nothing official has gone out (from what I can tell) for people with funded offers. Keep the faith!

*Just saw on the results page, one funded offer. Hmm.

Edited by uhohlemonster

Roxelana are you going to Princeton or Georgetown? or do you have a top choice among the remaining schools you are waiting for?

This seems like a good question for a PM (personal message if you aren't familiar with them, my apologies if you are), rather than in the forum itself.

Regarding Georgetown - I too am waiting to hear something. I noticed the latest rejection said via website but I think that applicant is international? Maybe that's the difference? When I go online, all I can see is my application - that it was submitted successfully and that my LORs were received. Maybe I'm going to the wrong site?

Also, to the recent Temple admit - did you hear anything about funding? Does anyone on the forum know how Temple handles funding? Thanks!!

Lastly, I haven't posted much on this site but just wanted to send general well wishes to everyone. Your advice helped me tremendously last week when I interviewed. I felt much better and had a great interview and was admitted to the program. So far I am 2-2 with 6 more schools to hear from. My main concern is funding. I have a dependent and am really worried that I'll have to turn down an opportunity to do further research b/c I can't provide for him. Thanks for giving me a place to voice my seemingly endless worrying. Best to all!

Roxelana are you going to Princeton or Georgetown? or do you have a top choice among the remaining schools you are waiting for?

:) Pton. I accepted this morning. I see no need to wait around when my mind was already made up regardless of the other offers... as amazing as they could potentially be. I declined my generous Georgetown offer yesterday in person. Whoever gets the spot is lucky, as they have an amazing and supportive faculty there as well.

For those of you still waiting, keep the hope alive. This is not my frist cycle of applications (I have an unfunded MA in Art History). If you live and breathe your subject, it will eventually pay off.