Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

clicked on the decision link at the bottom of my status page and.... IT'S BLANK! Great....

I had that problem happen too this afternoon. What browser are you using? It wouldn't work for me in Firefox so I tried using Safari and it showed up there. Hope that helps

Seems like it. This is my only year in the applicant pool, but I keep hearing about smaller incoming cohorts and record numbers of applications. Is this something that gets said every year?

I don't think so. I think this (and back in 2009) might be one of the hardest times to apply. In fact, I think (and I could be wrong here, so take this as a personal opinion) that schools are REALLY running out of money at this point because of the economy. It will get worse for a couple more years, and then turn around a bit. Who knows, but I know when you look at the data for acceptances from the past 15 years, there is a sharp decline right as the economic crisis hit. The economy is definitely playing a part in the acceptance process!

Seems like it. This is my only year in the applicant pool, but I keep hearing about smaller incoming cohorts and record numbers of applications. Is this something that gets said every year?

Pretty much.

I wish the rejection letters/emails would just be for real. "Eh, your application was pretty good, but there were 20 people that were amazing and fit our interests, and then about 15 more that were less impressive that we would still take over you. You'll probably get in somewhere, probably not your dream school, but at least an unfunded MA. Have fun paying us another 60-100 dollars in another one to two years. We might not take you, but we'll never not take your money."

This is something that's said every year and tends to be exaggerated, although of course it can be true in particular instances. For example, the talk around here was that Northwestern had 600 apps for fewer spots than normal, when in actuality they had close to 300 just like always.

Pretty much.

I wish the rejection letters/emails would just be for real. "Eh, your application was pretty good, but there were 20 people that were amazing and fit our interests, and then about 15 more that were less impressive that we would still take over you. You'll probably get in somewhere, probably not your dream school, but at least an unfunded MA. Have fun paying us another 60-100 dollars in another one to two years. We might not take you, but we'll never not take your money."

This post is beyond amazing. Truer words hath not been spoken.

This is something that's said every year and tends to be exaggerated, although of course it can be true in particular instances. For example, the talk around here was that Northwestern had 600 apps for fewer spots than normal, when in actuality they had close to 300 just like always.

Yep, and I think inflated numbers can come from the department, as well. I find it difficult to believe Columbia's claim that they have over 600 applicants annually, when comparable schools (Chicago, Yale, Harvard) never claim more than 400. Maybe it's the New York factor, but I'm doubtful.

I posted the Toronto acceptance! Totally took me by surprise because I thought they were done long ago. Someone posted here last week that all the accepted people were contacted the previous Sunday or something. So, I thought it was all but over. But, I guess not...

Ganymede: are you another Toronto acceptance?

I see a UToronto admit up! :)

Does anybody know how UToronto's funding works? The site makes it seem kinda dire for non-Canadians. Haven't heard from the chair of admissions/fellowships, though final info was promised last week.

IIRC they don't have tuition remission in Canadian schools, so they deduct tuition and fees from the already crappy stipend. I love my school but they lose a lot of great students because their funding just isn't as competitive as what American schools can offer.