Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

I do think that the decreasing class size of so many of these Phd programs will serve as a corrective to the horrendous job market in academia.

This is a myth.

The "oversupply" of PhDs is a function of the massive, catastrophic loss of tenured teaching positions and the growing adjunctization of American colleges. Many adjuncts have PhDs/the terminal degree in their field; a very sizable number don't.

To fix the "oversupply," the quickest way would be for U.S. News to factor in "percentage of undergraduate classroom hours taught by terminal-degree holding faculty" and "percentage of undergraduate classroom hours taught by tenured faculty" to their college rankings. ("classroom hours" to attempt to distinguish btwn, say, a class where the IOR lectures 2x and there's a TA-led discussion section, and a class where the IOR is teaching in name only and adjuncts/TAs handle the whole thing).

Whilst that may help explain the decrease in admittance at public programs, it still doesn't explain why the private schools are also cutting back or maybe I'm missing something here.

I was making the case for public schools, which are what people were mentioning as cutting back (IU, UW-M, OSU, UVA, MN, California schools, etc.). Those are the only places that people had mentioned hard numbers being down from what I remember. New England Nat had mentioned that Princeton had taken too many people last year, but didn't seem to be accepting fewer this year just hoping that the yield returned to normal. Feel free to correct me if there are private schools that have adjusted downward though.

Ok, so I just got an email from the DGS at Rochester letting me know that I'm on the waitlist. It was a really kind and somewhat flattering note. He actually enumerated the specific strengths of my app. I guess this is something!

Now I have to figure out how to respond..........

Addendum: I really like the idea of a History Dept housed within a library building. It's a pretty library too! I'm very sensitive to environment/ambience and I'm afraid that may hurt me because I loathe brutalist architecture with the same ferocity that Oseirus loathes the History Channel. Anyway.......

Edited by crazedandinfused

Re: budget

In a way, there's a reason why there was so much shock over Michigan history department's decision to suspend admissions for 2012. Michigan has an excellent endowment. Only 5%-10% of its total budget is from the state so the state money doesn't really affect the overall University budget.

my school only received 10% of its total budget from the state and proposals to cut that to 5% have opened discussions of firing staff, increasing teaching loads for tenured professors, combining departments, cutting smaller departments altogether, reducing admissions, and canceling future internal fellowships. schools, like countries, can often run a deficit in their yearly budget. awesome, huh? so i'd say that even a 5% cut in funding (which can be equated to $5 million to $10 million) can really cripple some programs.

What does it mean that my UCLA app says no decision?

Uholemonster - I have no idea! But my UCLA online app still says no decision and I got a formal written offer from them (one that said: your acceptance has also been posted on the website).

Congrats to everyone who has received good news! I really thought this week would bring more excitement, but I'm guessing next week will. Does anyone have any insight into when UIC or BU will be releasing decisions?

Still keeping my fingers crossed for those still waiting on good news.

Robinson College. Sadly, it's one of the newest and most modern of the colleges. It's pretty enough, but I'm partial to the old Gothic look. They say college affiliation doesn't matter much for graduate study though.

Another BC admit was posted a while ago. Sigh. I've been so distracted during work this week and this place definitely isn't helping! Though it has been a pretty boring week (I would have thought otherwise). Watch next week be lame for everyone too!

Oseirus, I will miss you when this mess of a cycle is over.

Don't worry, unless there is an 11th hour miracle, all signs indicate I shall return next year but I'll miss you guys who will go on to glory too. Y'all should come back and check in on the 2013 applicant batch and drop some pearls of wisdom

Congrats to everyone today!

I think I just want to give up waiting on funding decisions from Wisconsin for the day. It may be 2 PM there right now, but, meh. I'd like to weekend to start. (wonders if she should close the Gmail tab)

I do expect an avalanche of decisions this week given that it's the end of February AND beginning of March! Good luck to all- get ready for another ride on the emotional roller coaster!

(wonders if she should close the Gmail tab)

I do expect an avalanche of decisions this week given that it's the end of February AND beginning of March! Good luck to all- get ready for another ride on the emotional roller coaster!

Close that tab, pop some dramamine (if you're the motion sickness type) and enjoy the weekend ... or at least in exactly 79 mins

Uholemonster - I have no idea! But my UCLA online app still says no decision and I got a formal written offer from them (one that said: your acceptance has also been posted on the website).

I think it takes a while to update the website.