Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Do you think the professors actually read the personal statement, though? I mean, mine is pretty awful. I can't see why they'd be terribly interested in it...it seems like they have enough samples of our writing as it is.

Given Cal's commitment to diversity in the post Prop 209 age, I'd count on someone--either a professor or a member of Cal's graduate division--reading the personal statement.

http://grad.berkeley.edu/policies/guides/c1-1-equity-adviser/

My two cents.

Lexi, I hated my Berkeley personal history statement as well. It was the best I could do, but I feel way less comfortable writing about my personal background than my intellectual background by itself. I tried my best to tie them together, but it was still an uncomfortable process.

So I trim down my Yale writing sample to 25 pages, then go to upload it only to find out that I need to leave 2 inch margins at the top of every page. Now it's back up to 28.

Ugh.

Are you applying to Penn too? Yale's page limit doesn't seem like a big deal anymore after the time and effort I spent getting ten pages out of my thesis for Penn! <_<

Edited by taybaxter

So I trim down my Yale writing sample to 25 pages, then go to upload it only to find out that I need to leave 2 inch margins at the top of every page. Now it's back up to 28.

Ugh.

Yes, silly formatting. The cynic in me wonders how much time these schools actually spend with each application. Considering Yale, for example, and how many apps they must receive each year...

I try not to think about this too much, because it just makes me feel depressed.

I'm going to do my best to send off the rest of my applications and then just forget about them for the next couple of months.

Yale's 2-inch margins on top are a big hassle, and I am also in the process of trimming down a 30-page paper to fit the requirement. So I know how you feel.

However, since I'm also applying to Columbia and Harvard, which both have 20-page limits, I'm probably just going to get it down to 20 pages and use that version for Yale as well. Might as well kill three birds with one stone.

And yes, I'm applying to Penn as well. I sent them an email last week asking about whether to include an abstract at the beginning of the 10-page sample (since my 10 pages will be from the same 30-page paper), but they never responded. I'm guessing that means "no." Ouch.

And yes, I'm applying to Penn as well. I sent them an email last week asking about whether to include an abstract at the beginning of the 10-page sample (since my 10 pages will be from the same 30-page paper), but they never responded. I'm guessing that means "no." Ouch.

Was this to their grad_info email? I sent them a couple of emails there some time ago and waited weeks for a response. When I finally heard back I was told that they never check that email and I should email all questions to the DGS.

Ok, I just read like 20 pages of last years "waiting it out" forum, and I will go crazy if I'm on this website until February. So I'm deleting my bookmark, as if that will help, and I'm just gonna chill for a couple months. My apps are all in (except for a few recommendations) so I'm gonna relax. If you see me on this board, please do chastise me.

I would really, really like to thank StrangeLight, TMP, natsteel, and qbtacoma for their advice, patience and kind help. This process was more illuminating than it was grueling, more fun than it was anxious, and your help really, really meant a whole heckuva lot to a longtime intellectual wanderer who is determined to carve out a niche in a discipline he wants to (and to a certain extent already does) call home. You all seriously rock. The best of luck to everyone; see you all when the decisions start rolling in. Ciao!!

Ok, I just read like 20 pages of last years "waiting it out" forum, and I will go crazy if I'm on this website until February.

Funny, I think I may have read the entire "It Has Begun" thread on admissions decisions tonight :lol: February is really not too far off. Until then, do what you gotta do! I like checking in regularly for the support, but I can see how it's stressful to always have applications on your mind and be reminded of the process. We'll see you soon!

Was this to their grad_info email? I sent them a couple of emails there some time ago and waited weeks for a response. When I finally heard back I was told that they never check that email and I should email all questions to the DGS.

yes, it was the grad_info email... oh well. did you include an abstract with your submission, or just begin the excerpt with a small introduction?

yes, it was the grad_info email... oh well. did you include an abstract with your submission, or just begin the excerpt with a small introduction?

I included an abstract at the suggestion of my undergrad adviser (who, I should add, went to Penn for her doctorate). She said there is "no way" anyone could communicate anything significant in only ten pages and is baffled by the page limit.

I might just email one of the professors I've been corresponding with there and ask about it just in case though. I'll be sure to post what she says.

I included an abstract at the suggestion of my undergrad adviser (who, I should add, went to Penn for her doctorate). She said there is "no way" anyone could communicate anything significant in only ten pages and is baffled by the page limit.

I might just email one of the professors I've been corresponding with there and ask about it just in case though. I'll be sure to post what she says.

Got the all clear to do it! Recommended we do it too.

I have finally finished all 11 of my applications. I somehow thought that during this process I would have a sense of relief as I finished up a school's application, but instead I just got more nervous wondering if I had done everything correctly.

Besides some stupid mistakes, I think they all turned out decent. If for some reason I don't get in anywhere, I will be much better the next application round, but I sincerely hope it doesn't come to that.

Good luck to everyone finishing up!!!

I have finally finished all 11 of my applications. I somehow thought that during this process I would have a sense of relief as I finished up a school's application, but instead I just got more nervous wondering if I had done everything correctly.

Besides some stupid mistakes, I think they all turned out decent. If for some reason I don't get in anywhere, I will be much better the next application round, but I sincerely hope it doesn't come to that.

Good luck to everyone finishing up!!!

diplodocus--

Congratulations on submitting all of your applications! :D Please do put aside your anxiety so that you can appreciate how hard you've worked to get where you are at this moment. B)

Later, please consider the merits of making a "lessons learned" list sooner rather than later. This list might prove useful when you prepare different types of applications (e.g. fellowships and grants) down the line. ;)

You might also find it useful to get debriefed on all of your applications and sharing that information in a post.

Yay, the recommender I was most worried about making the deadline (because she is so busy) just submitted to all my schools! Making progress. My third rec writer submitted last week so now the only rec I'm still waiting on is the most important one and the strongest one...my thesis adviser. I'm not worried about her though because we've been very much in touch over the past few months.

On my end: Four Apps done and submitted, two apps basically done (just not submitted), three more still need some work. I'm also still contemplating whether or not I should submit to a school that has a Jan. 15 deadline...that would bring me up to 10 schools. Likely won't worry about that until I start freaking out about my chances after christmas. :D

Edited by taybaxter

11/11 applications completed! Now to play the waiting game. And Skyrim. Most definitely Skyrim.

I'll add to the chorus of thanks for the sage advice that has been offered on this board over the last few months (especially from those who have been through this process before). It's been immeasurably helpful!

7/8 signed, sealed, delivered and paid for- one book review to finish up to round out the batch. I had a ninth one, but think I'm cutting it off of the list for a few reasons.

I think I would make a deal with the devil today: Gaurantee me admission and full funding into just one, any one, of the programs I applied to and I'll gladly take the rejections from all the rest.

That said, I'd love to have to choose between Yale and Cornell...or UW-Madison and UNC-CH...

I think I would make a deal with the devil today: Gaurantee me admission and full funding into just one, any one, of the programs I applied to and I'll gladly take the rejections from all the rest.

Agreed! I'd love to go to any of my schools, although I admit there are some I would choose over others! (BTW, our lists are pretty similar...maybe we'll meet next year!)

Edited by taybaxter

Ugh...I was just communicating with my thesis adviser. She wants me to send her a list of the people at each school that I most want to work with so she can customize her letters. I hadn't thought about how many people there were at each school before but after writing it out I found that Yale had the most people by far. I guess it's my top choice! Too bad it's impossible to get into...*sigh*

Ugh...I was just communicating with my thesis adviser. She wants me to send her a list of the people at each school that I most want to work with so she can customize her letters. I hadn't thought about how many people there were at each school before but after writing it out I found that Yale had the most people by far. I guess it's my top choice! Too bad it's impossible to get into...*sigh*

Your adviser is being thoughtful here... let her take her sweet time.