Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

I'm actually not upset at all. UMass is my top choice. I love the school, and my GPA from back in 2002 was terrible. I returned in 2009 and finished up with a kick ass gpa, but my overall was still crap.

I am going to UMass for MA, and I'm hoping to kick ass, take names, and then get into a great Ph.D program in a couple of years. Apparently the official notice of Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected is getting mailed out next week, I just happen to have a few close friends (I went there as an Undergrad) who were able to get me some insider info.

This is neat to hear...nervewracking, but neat. It will be good to know something (either way) soon. Best of luck on the waitlist! I applied to the Ph.D. program so at least I will hear something soon! Someone got in on 2/22 to the Ph.D. program with full funding (according to the survey) but I wonder if they were also notified by a POI informally?

Waiting is absolutely the worst.

Guys!!!!!!!!!! I'm in at Stony Brook and they're nominating me for a fellowship which will "enhance considerably the amount" of $ they are offering!

I'm so stoked. I'm on the bus to the airport and I got an email from the DGS and started cackling and flailing about. I then apologized to everyone on the bus and they smiled at me. Super happy!!

And congrats Twist of Fate!!!

Congratulations!!

I got into Stony Brook as well (for sociology) and so far it's my only acceptance. They offered my a 15k stipend and I'm not sure if that's enough to live on there. I'm from CO so I don't really have any way of evaluating the cost of living. Curious what kind of offer you got and what would be a realistic amount of money needed there. PM me if you would rather discuss in private.

I, in an act of poor judgment, was the one who made that post. It was meant as a joke which was in poor taste. I have asked to have it removed.

My apologies, especially to the University of Oregon (a very fine institution with some really great people).

There is nothing that is in poor in history ... it is just either not in vogue, or not currently accepted but soon to be debated or the latest rage

It was more than 215 pages, wasn't it?

it was at 216 prior to my comment and I know this just highlights another low point in my spiraling life but clearly there is something afoot here!

The government is monitoring us. It's an attack on intellectual freedom. I'm definitely deleting my account.

nah man ... I took the RFID chip out of my own tooth ... they can't track me anymore ... got tinfoil all over my house!

It was definitely 216

SEE! And they said I couldn't count! That will teach them to put me a special education class! One time for public school (not the English kind) education and one time for C+ students worldwide!

SEE! And they said I couldn't count! That will teach them to put me a special education class! One time for public school (not the English kind) education and one time for C+ students worldwide!

You know, the mark of a true historian is a 49th percentile or lower on the GRE. That means I'll have a tenured chair and 12 monographs by 35 :D

You know, the mark of a true historian is a 49th percentile or lower on the GRE. That means I'll have a tenured chair and 12 monographs by 35 :D

Based on nothing but a sheer miracle, I broke 700 on my GRE. Now I'm afraid the committees will look upon this unfavorably... D:

Based on nothing but a sheer miracle, I broke 700 on my GRE. Now I'm afraid the committees will look upon this unfavorably... D:

fraudulent historian ..... I keed I keed ... but on a more positive note ... good morning my fellow Great Friends of History ... we are nearing closer and closer to all decisions ... hold strong in the belief in your chances still :)

nah... nothing got deleted. I think it's the programming of this forum.

Morning! Here's to another week!

Got my official (automated) email from the Graduate School about my acceptance to Binghamton. It says that the department will contact me if I've been award funding. Here's hoping I get another email today!!!

I have a family member who is faculty at Stony Brook, and I've spent a lot of time there. Most of their students (and most of their faculty) commute a fair distance. There is an LIRR stop right on campus.

Well as there are two "accepted via email" on the survey, I expect a rejection from UConn via snail mail any day now - apparently that is how they do things . . . Maine, here I come.

AH, stop saying that! lol. I'm still holding out hope for UConn! From what ToF has been saying the early acceptances might have something to do with a fellowship. Plus, one of those acceptances (Europe) already said they were declining. Gotta have hope!

I wonder if today will be the day I receive some sort of communication from BC, either by email (which I solicited) or post. Is there anybody else out there still waiting to hear from Boston College? Just curious.

AH, stop saying that! lol. I'm still holding out hope for UConn! From what ToF has been saying the early acceptances might have something to do with a fellowship. Plus, one of those acceptances (Europe) already said they were declining. Gotta have hope!