Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

the oversupply of PhDs argument is a myth. when universities see a tenured professor retire, they replace that prof with 3 adjuncts rather than another tenure-stream faculty member. it saves them a ton of money and there's always someone desperate enough to take a $2500 per course adjuncting position. sigaba is right; academic institutions are preoccupied with bean counting. administrators have formulae to determine the optimum enrollment in graduate seminars and they will give department chairs the gears for low enrollment, even as they waste money on bloated sports programs that don't break even financially.

I am not sure i agree with the assessment that it is a myth that there's an over supply of Ph.D.s. The last I heard (and I'll double check soon), for every vacancy there are about two hundred applicants.

I do agree with SL's point about the adjunct positions replacing tenure track slots. This practice developed twenty years ago. I differ with SL on the solution. The answer is not unionization but rather a renewed emphasis on reconnecting with the general public. Over the last fifty years, historians have lost their ability to communicate effectively with the broader audience. The reasons for this disconnect are myriad. The end result is that fewer undergraduates want to take history courses, much less major in history. (The irony here is that four fields of history that are being driven out of departments pack undergraduates into lecture halls. But I'm not bitter. Not even a little. :mellow: )

I am not sure that the focus on bean counting is inherently antithetical to the Ivory Tower's mission. I think too many cohorts of academics have been done a poor job at adjusting to this growing emphasis. They have not figured out ways to frame compelling counter narratives to the tales of the tape, much less use the numbers to figure out solutions the the problems discussed in departmental meetings.

I am reluctant to support a frame of mind that frowns upon an academic institution's focus on athletics. Collegiate sports, despite all their ills, can play an important role in town and gown relations. (And the two institutions I've attended as a graduate student have strong athletic programs.)

Finally, keep in mind that a major factor driving many budgets these days is the modernization and expansion of a school's infrastructure. Schools seek to increase their enrollment by doing what their "comparable institutions" do. This frequently means building new halls, dormitories, labs, and parking facilities. This type of master planning is complicated, highly controversial, and very costly. (In 2006, the average cost of building a new parking space was about $16,000.) Too often, academics come to discussions about master planning thinking about their own tomorrow rather than the Ivory Tower's next quarter century.

and what might a male wear on such a visit? Nice jeans and collared shirt/ collared shirt-sweater suffice?

You can't go wrong with a nice pair of khakis, collared shirt with a vest (provided it is in a cooler climate -- lose the vest in the south/west of the nation at this time of year) and a nice necktie.

There are a few things that are more important, however. First -- wear a nice pair of casual shoes. Athletic shoes are out -- nice black or brown leather shoes with a good pair of professional-looking socks. Second -- do not attempt to dress much more formally than you ordinarily would. In my experience, a man who generally dresses very casually and attempts to formal it up with a suit inevitably looks uncomfortable and awkward. If you are generally *very* casual (ie. t-shirt and shorts), be careful about going too formal -- it is better to be less professional and more comfortable than to look awkward in a suit and tie. Likewise, no point in wearing a suit if it is not tailored -- go for a nice sports coat and decent pants (Dockers will generally do the trick) instead.

I never appear on campus without a tie, a collared shirt, and either a sweater or vest (depending on the season, I'll choose wool, cotton, or silk). Generally, I also wear a sports-coat. My program tends to be very casual, but I'm not auditioning to be a graduate student in my department, but rather to get to a Ph.D. program (I can now check that off the list) and eventually a tenure-track job. I dress very casually at home, but I am also very comfortable in formal wear all the way up to British morning dress. It is helpful to be able to pull off any look and be comfortable in it -- and achieving comfort is a product of the quality of the materials and repetition.

Just my .02 dollars, of course!

Editing to note: By the way, while Oseirus may (or may not) have been kidding when he suggested french cuffs, I will say -- quite seriously -- that french cuffs can be a fantastic way to polish your look, given the correct cuff links. Cuff links are often quite expensive, but you can find excellent links on sale/clearance with ease -- and some of the nicest looking and most versatile links that I own are department store purchases.

Edited by virmundi

I am simply going to look out for my best interests as I go through this program.
What about the needs of the profession, the concerns of your colleagues, and the interests of undergraduates?

I do agree with SL's point about the adjunct positions replacing tenure track slots. This practice developed twenty years ago. I differ with SL on the solution. The answer is not unionization but rather a renewed emphasis on reconnecting with the general public. Over the last fifty years, historians have lost their ability to communicate effectively with the broader audience. The reasons for this disconnect are myriad. The end result is that fewer undergraduates want to take history courses, much less major in history. (The irony here is that four fields of history that are being driven out of departments pack undergraduates into lecture halls. But I'm not bitter. Not even a little. :mellow: )

The answer may well be reconnecting with the general public, but this absolutely is not at the expense of unionization. The decline of unions in the United States is directly correlated with a drop in wages and benefits for workers across the board. Technical fields (such as IT) may seem to have experienced some level of immunization from this effect over the last 30 years, but if the data of the last 10 years is examined closely, it reveals that salaries in technical fields are also experiencing dramatic reductions due to phenomena such as H1-B visa employees, outsourcing, and so on.

In any event, I am not certain how to connect with a public in which vast swathes of people seem to privilege a self-serving narrative absolving themselves of any responsibility to exercise their agency in a responsible manner. I am not suggesting that we must not try, but part of the equation is to produce a better-educated citizenry -- not to pander to a citizenry that refuses to think critically. Obviously, this is not what you are saying historians ought to do, but unfortunately, I think bookshelves at book stores reveal a great deal of history that is simply poorly researched, highly chauvinistic, and overly simplistic. Academic history is not necessarily for everyone, but certainly the skills of academic historians ought to be. I, for one, grit my teeth every time I hear the positivist banalities of scientists who pontificate outside of their specialized fields, suggesting that reality is a discrete, identifiable, and quantifiable thing as opposed to a series of constructed discourses and perceptions that surround something that is not observable with absolute objectivity.

I like I like. Well you know with the incredible seven-figure stipend I'll be getting next year I'm planning on hitting Florence and picking up the latest fashion in shoes. Then it's off to Paris for 365 brand new 3 piece suits. I won't be repeating any outfit on any day. Oh and 24k gold, ruby encrusted cuff-links and a $25,000 Gucci snakeskin laptop bag. I'm only going to eat in the finest of restaurants and have filet mignon for every meal. And in my abundant spare time I shall race motor cars and golf at the finest country clubs. Ah, yes, I can't wait to be a graduate student. :D

WOAH ... 25K? Are you silly ... I wouldn't be seen DEAD with something that cheap and tawdry ... and ONLY 365 ... what about your afternoon apparel? And evening wear? Come come sir ... what are we? farmers? You must ALWAYS have evening wear!

Editing to note: By the way, while Oseirus may (or may not) have been kidding when he suggested french cuffs, I will say -- quite seriously -- that french cuffs can be a fantastic way to polish your look, given the correct cuff links. Cuff links are often quite expensive, but you can find excellent links on sale/clearance with ease -- and some of the nicest looking and most versatile links that I own are department store purchases.

Sir! I never joke about French cuffs! I have been their champion since 05 ... I may call them cheese eatin' surrender monkeys (â„¢ of Groundskeeper Willie) but dammit if those bastards don't have refined tastes when it comes to the cut of a man's sleeves!

What about the needs of the profession, the concerns of your colleagues, and the interests of undergraduates?

Let me put it another way. My Ph.D. adviser and I will plan accordingly to make me marketable. I've already got a "trendy" topic. I'm already quite interested in "internationalizing" history, may it be European or American. I like seeing things from a global perspective. I also am quite intrigue by the idea of digital humanities and have a potential project to try it out with. I'm not going to conform to my graduate colleagues' desires unless I think they make sense and will advantage my career as well. Let everyone blaze their own paths and we'll all see what happens at the end.

the Ph.D. program is what you make of it and it's yours alone. Your colleagues are there to support you, help you figure out problems, and bounce ideas with. As I've said, it's up to the student to decide how s/he wants to plan her/his PhD program (with the adviser, of course) and find a group (or two or three) of colleagues to hang out with for years to come. If you're going to go into the PhD program without any intentions of not being aware of what's in demand and only say "hello" to your graduate colleagues and professors for the entire time, you aren't going to get quite far at all.

After all, your adviser can only go so far with you and it's really up to you to apply for fellowships, grants, and jobs, and submit articles and book proposals. You're the one clicking that "SEND" button.

I would quote you all to say thank you, but too many offered helpful advice. I feel much better now about the whole attire thing for visits. Thank you so much for the words of advice! I think I'll go with nice tailored jeans (dark, like dress pants but jean material) and a nice blouse.

I would quote you all to say thank you, but too many offered helpful advice. I feel much better now about the whole attire thing for visits. Thank you so much for the words of advice! I think I'll go with nice tailored jeans (dark, like dress pants but jean material) and a nice blouse.

Have you not heard a word the mighty Oseirus has said!? We are not farmers! I would expect full eighteenth-century evening regalia and nothing less!

I jest. But I echo this sincere thanks. Dress code has been a concern of mine of late.

In case you need ideas for the shirt ... and you're finally welcome!

0000043801_20071018142711.jpg

2. Many adjuncts do not have PhDs, whether they are ABD and writing, "terminal ABD," or just never planning on going beyond a master's.

Some are not PhDs, but the vast majority of adjuncts I have known or encountered have been PhDs. Saying they're not PhDs might make us feel better temporarily but it's not true.

As to Sigaba's comment about 200 applicants for every t-t job, I think the number is significantly higher than that. One person posted their rejection letter on Twitter because it said they had had 900(!) applicants for a t-t job at a Midwestern school. As to the statement about alternative fields, I don't know any graduate program that would let someone actually do a minor field in administration as opposed to letting someone take extra administrative courses. If there are any, good for them.

Overproduction of PhDs is not a myth. It may seem that way if we hold some ideal (nostalgic) notion of how academia should work. The fact is that as long as there are 100 or more PhDs out there waiting to teach a course for $1200 or $1500 dollars with no benefits and no contract, the administrations will continue to hire them instead of replacing or, god forbid, creating new t-t lines. The number of PhDs being produced is higher than ever, but it still should not be too many. However, the reality is that there are not enough jobs to go around. That is the very definition of overproduction. And StrangeLight and Sparky are right. Until adjuncts are unionized and/or the outsized role of the adjunct is heavily publicized to prospectives and their parents, this process will unfortunately continue apace to the detriment of everyone except the administrators whose ranks and salaries continue to grow.

As much as I've been reading about the hugely competitive job market, I still became a little bit nauseous after reading that.

Same... I heard 100 for one position. I might have even heard several hundred for one position. 900? Good thing motor companies hire history PhDs to design engines... don't they?

Same... I heard 100 for one position. I might have even heard several hundred for one position. 900? Good thing motor companies hire history PhDs to design engines... don't they?

no no no Llama they hire you to tell the engineer who is designing it the backstory of the first engine and other such milestones ...but as for the #s you are correct ... and as for pay ... um you actually have to pay the company for the privilege of working there ... very standard practice

no no no Llama they hire you to tell the engineer who is designing it the backstory of the first engine and other such milestones ...but as for the #s you are correct ... and as for pay ... um you actually have to pay the company for the privilege of working there ... very standard practice

Ooooh. Hm. I don't think I want that job. Maybe I'll just go be a park ranger :)

I dunno about CUNY, but I've yet to hear from 4 of my programs. I'm thinking that anonymous phone calls are in order if I haven't heard by this Friday. Call me paranoid, but I don't want to seem needy or impatient (which I guess I am) and have them know that I am. Is March 16th an okay time to call programs? Particularly ones that promise mid-March notification? Thoughts?

I dunno about CUNY, but I've yet to hear from 4 of my programs. I'm thinking that anonymous phone calls are in order if I haven't heard by this Friday. Call me paranoid, but I don't want to seem needy or impatient (which I guess I am) and have them know that I am. Is March 16th an okay time to call programs? Particularly ones that promise mid-March notification? Thoughts?

Let me be serious for one moment here ... a rarity I know so enjoy it while it lasts ... but with these things it is expected for you to get anxious and schools OBVIOUSLY know you are in a certain mindframe ... while it CAN be a nuisance if every Tom, Dick, and Harry who applies there is constantly calling every few days to get a check up ... I'll say what I have consistently said, keep calm till close to the end of this month and if you haven't made any headways then go ahead and rightfully start making the necessary panicky moves ...that's my humble opinion on the matter

Serious Oseirus? Or should I say, Oserious? But point well taken. I shall refrain from letting my neurotic behavior get the best of me until 9:00am on Monday April 2. I shouldn't be obsessing anyway. I have a great program in hand and I probably wouldn't choose any of the remaining 4 over it anyway- probably...

regarding the number of applicants for TT jobs, that really varies by subfield. my school, an R1 with a small, specialized graduate program (the profs call it a "boutique" program), recently did an open-rank search for a world historian and it had 200 applicants, which was unusually high. and everyone and their brother tries to convince someone they're a world historian, so that number was full of applications that had nothing to do with world history. now, maybe for a US history search at an R1 in NY or LA there would be 900 applicants, because even well-established professors will be trying to make a move based on location, but i get the sense that for most subfields, the actual number of applicants +/- 200 people. still terrible odds, but not quite as terrible as 900.

as for the overproduction of PhDs, when i said it's a myth i didn't mean that there aren't more PhDs than job openings. there are. what i meant is that the reason for the disparity is NOT because we're producing too many PhDs but because the jobs we thought they'd be filling 7-10 years ago when they started grad school aren't there anymore. and they're not there for a bunch of reasons. the economy, the penny-pinching commercialization of the university, the public divestment in higher education (thanks tom corbett!), the fact that profs just aren't retiring when they hit 65/70/75/80/85, the increase in precarious employment (both adjuncts and TAs). the short term solution of reducing the number of PhD admits doesn't actually address any of the problems that got us in this mess. that's why, to me, to blame this job market on too many PhDs is misleading.

as for the overproduction of PhDs, when i said it's a myth i didn't mean that there aren't more PhDs than job openings. there are. what i meant is that the reason for the disparity is NOT because we're producing too many PhDs but because the jobs we thought they'd be filling 7-10 years ago when they started grad school aren't there anymore. and they're not there for a bunch of reasons. the economy, the penny-pinching commercialization of the university, the public divestment in higher education (thanks tom corbett!), the fact that profs just aren't retiring when they hit 65/70/75/80/85, the increase in precarious employment (both adjuncts and TAs). the short term solution of reducing the number of PhD admits doesn't actually address any of the problems that got us in this mess. that's why, to me, to blame this job market on too many PhDs is misleading.

So true. I've been talking to newly-minted PhDs and ABDs just finishing up and they will absolutely tell you that when they entered grad school 7 years ago, they thought there would be jobs, at least not have such long odds as we have going on for today. Some remain realistic and going with the flow, while others are jaded and wondered why they went through the PhD for nothing.

Yes, just don't apply for jobs in gigantic cities like New York or LA or Chicago... consider yourself lucky if you even get an interview. I already know 2 well-established professors move out of Big 10 to New York, simply because of the location and research opportunities.

After checking in for the last bunch of years to see if TMP got in anywhere, I'm glad to see she has some great options. Congrats!

I have to say all this talk of the job market is a bit disheartening. These have been the most intellectually stimulating and rewarding years of my life and I'd hate to think what they would have been like if at every step along the way I constantly worried about positioning and crafting myself for the job market. My research interests have evolved as I've evolved and not only are they not what I came into my current program thinking I would work on, but as they are now they reflect an ongoing and developing dialog I've had with myself over these passed two years of course work. My research is not my pitch for a job, but rather a reflection of my self. It may sound cheesy, but it sounds a heck of a lot better than all this talk about positioning one's research according to the trends in the job market and intellectual vogues. If you think global history and transnationalism is where it's at now, you've already missed the boat. By the time your dissertation comes out it'll be a tired trope and by the time you publish your book... Well, anyway, don't waste what promise to be some awesome years worrying about the job market. Do your work, think meaningfully about what you're studying and researching, keep an open mind, and enjoy yourselves. That way, if at the end you don't land a TT job, then at least you spent a bunch of years doing something that was meaningful to you. Otherwise all this time and effort will be nothing but a waste and that would be a shame.

^ Although controversial, I think that's a nice post, CCB. Your comments provide food for thought.

Sometimes, the leading edge can be the bleeding edge. Back in the late 1980s/early 1990s, there was a belief that naval historians would have plenty of job opportunities in the Ivory Tower. By the mid 1990s, it was clear that the opposite was going to be the case. A few years ago, a mentor told me that it was too bad I'd not been born ten years earlier. Amid his laughter, he made it clear that, given my areas of specialization, there was no way that I was going to get a TT job. :( Ever. :blink:

But I'm not bitter.

Edited by Sigaba

After checking in for the last bunch of years to see if TMP got in anywhere, I'm glad to see she has some great options. Congrats!

My research interests have evolved as I've evolved and not only are they not what I came into my current program thinking I would work on, but as they are now they reflect an ongoing and developing dialog I've had with myself over these passed two years of course work. My research is not my pitch for a job, but rather a reflection of my self. It may sound cheesy, but it sounds a heck of a lot better than all this talk about positioning one's research according to the trends in the job market and intellectual vogues. If you think global history and transnationalism is where it's at now, you've already missed the boat. By the time your dissertation comes out it'll be a tired trope and by the time you publish your book... Well, anyway, don't waste what promise to be some awesome years worrying about the job market. Do your work, think meaningfully about what you're studying and researching, keep an open mind, and enjoy yourselves. That way, if at the end you don't land a TT job, then at least you spent a bunch of years doing something that was meaningful to you. Otherwise all this time and effort will be nothing but a waste and that would be a shame.

CCB! I am so touched! You're not the only one who's wondering. :) *cough*Kai210*cough* :)

Well, though I know you're not speaking to me directly on your nice post, I will say that my research interests and projects are really reflection of me as a person. It just took so long for me to be able to sit down and write my SOP honestly. I knew that if I couldn't be honest with myself, then how could I be honest with my PhD programs and POIs? And remain happy in the program? And as you said, make the whole experience worthwhile. After 2 cycles of not being *quite* honest with my interests and plans, I knew I had nothing to lose except to say "this is who I am!" in my proposal (and especially in my concluding paragraph though it could've been pushing it). So what if transnational goes out of vogue in 5 years? I'm still a trained US historian and I can see how i can interject analyses and perspectives I've gleaned from doing transnational work into the "traditional" framework.

FWIW, I did not write that final draft of my SOP without crying because I felt that I really had nothing to lose at that point by being myself and being true to my personal identity, not be somebody other professors expected me to be. And I am so grateful that both of my POIs seem to deeply appreciate it and perhaps these choices are really meant to be and they really do feel right.