Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

I just got my first "unofficial" acceptance (from my POI) today, WITH funding, at UC Davis! :D I can't believe it!

Big congratulations to you, teachgrad! :) That's wonderful.

And Safferz, glad to hear your interview went well. Best wishes for an acceptance!

Well, I just got an email telling me that I'm being nominated for a fellowship at one of my mid-tier programs! It's not an offer of admission, but I'm very happy. This will get me through the next week at least. It doesn't hurt that the fellowship is named after one of my favorite historical figures either!!

Congrats to Teachgrad and good luck to Safferz! Also, that Indiana results post was mine...bummer.

That really does suck. At least you're getting a refund, but man that money could have gone to another app!

Well, I just got an email telling me that I'm being nominated for a fellowship at one of my mid-tier programs! It's not an offer of admission, but I'm very happy. This will get me through the next week at least. It doesn't hurt that the fellowship is named after one of my favorite historical figures either!!

Congrats!!

So with the tricky email from Buffalo earlier, I just checked my app status and it finally says "Under Committee Review"! I know this means nothing in terms of hearing anything soon, but it means the ball is rolling up in the chilly north!

Okay, I broke down and emailed someone at Duke with whom I've been in touch. I have a decent excuse anyway: I'm leaving tomorrow and I'll be offline for a while so I won't necessarily be able to access my decision.

Wow, people are already hearing back? That's really exciting (and simultaneously nerve-wracking!).

I see the majority here are interested in European and American history. Anyone interested in African?

Looks like there are three of us now! Oseirus and I are both Africanists :)

Thanks everyone.

I am really shocked because I just submitted the application on the 15th... so the turnaround was incredibly fast. I was hoping to hear from the first couple of schools (the Dec. 1st deadlines).

Obviously I need to wait for the others but UCD is a really good fit for me... plus I'd love to stay in California and be relatively close to my family.

Wow, seems like it was an eventful day of good news on this thread!

Safferz, congrats on the interview!! That's wonderful news! Good luck!!

teachgrad, congrats on the acceptance! Must feel amazing to have heard back so early!!

crazedandinfused, congrats on the fellowship nomination!! They must want you!!

So Hotlanta asked for an interview from someone... that's a first I've seen from Emory after being on these boards for several years.

Looks like there are three of us now! Oseirus and I are both Africanists :)

Oh, nice! What region are you interested in? I want to focus on East Africa and the effects of colonialism on prior conceptions of identity and its impact on the formation of nationalism and "tribalism". I also applied to Northwestern! :) Not expecting to get in there, hahaha. I met with the two Africanist POIs there, and they said it's very much about how you fit in with the community. They were both, also, really kind.