Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

Who here is a theorist, comparativist, IR, etc? It's very difficult to gauge what some of you are pursuing...

CP, it's the way forward.

Not sure exactly about the negative feedback. I'm guessing someone's sense of humor has taken a beating during this process, which I must say is pretty easy to understand!

Yeah, doing my best to correct this when I see a negative on your posts for no apparent reason.

Who here is a theorist, comparativist, IR, etc? It's very difficult to gauge what some of you are pursuing...

Neither. :) American (mostly behavior) / Methods. I don't get the impression there are many of us on the boards...

IR here.

with such a good karma on his/her back, balderdash should run for president instead of watching Africans playing an alien sport :)

brent09, there may be a handful of theorists but I believe they are over-represented among the active members of the forum, which is always good

CP/IR and, for programs with third field requirements (which I am all about), Theory. My applications were specifically for programs that, at least [nominally] encourage reaching across sub-disciplinary lines, since my research interests lie in the influence of domestic politics on foreign policy (CP/IR) and definitions/conceptualizations of regime types, particularly democracy (CP/Theory).

It's really cool to hear what everyone's pursuing.

I'm in my mid-20s and I noticed a scattered sample of gray hairs this morning in the mirror. Perhaps I'll automatically acquire the wisdom that purportedly accompanies age as a result of their appearance.

Edit: Also, jsclar, what about the distinguished, gray-haired gentlewomen?

If it's any consolation, my first ones appeared a few years ago but have defied multiplication. Looks like my graying is bound to go in fits and starts.

Alas, I don't know nearly enough about lunar policy to mount a successful campaign.

I would venture that knowledge about lunar policy is negatively correlated with making promises to set up lunar missions, so perhaps your chances for Republican candidacy aren't as bleak as you might think.

@jasonmonty: I think those tabs on the MyUT thing are new since when we submitted applications (I just realized I hadn't checked my status since November...), but I don't think they necessarily mean anything. It makes more sense that it would be a system-wide thing once some programs have started admitting applicants, and it seems that some other departments have started sending notifications.

@tanjaoui: UofC started sending out notifications last year on Valentine's Day. Very fortuitous for some. For others, not so much.

I'm CP also.

@ swiss

Where did u apply, and which subfields at those programs that don t offer polecon and methods?

Also i got info from the grad adm office that stanford results are to be out only in march:( is that a joke

Hi bauhaus, I think that the "results are to be out only in March" is a standard reply. Last year they sent out admission decisions mid Feb.

I only applied to a few top schools that have either a Pol. Econ. PhD or a Econ. PhD with Pol. Econ specialization since a professor from my home country already offered me a PhD position.

Applied to:

- Princeton (Sub-Field: Methods, intended field of research: Pol. Econ.)

- Stanford (Pol. Econ.)

- Harvard KS (Pol. Econ & Gov)

- Georgetown (Economics - intended field of research: Pol. Econ)

- MIT (Economics: ok, I really do not think I have the slightest chance of getting accepted there but I applied because my Master thesis provides empirical evidence for Acemoglu's theoretical model)

What about you? Only NYU, Harvard, Princeton and Stanford? Unfortunately, I have a very low verbal GRE score (but high TOEFL), which makes me doubt that any of these schools will accept me.

Edited by swisschocolate