Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

Has anybody claimed these GWU's? There's a lot so I believe it, but what I'm wondering is if everybody admitted today has funding. I wonder if they do two separate rounds for people immediately funded and people not immediately funded. Just a thought for those of you still waiting to hear (and I haven't heard yet either so I am one of you).

dustSNK,

I barely remember even asking that question, even though it was on the first page of this topic. This whole cycle I think has been chaotic for pretty much everyone on this forum, but I was just considering how certain tactics and changes in an application profile may effect everyone's prospects.

Haha you are right! I have noticed a lot more chaos than last year on the forum @_@

I'll post if my strategy worked out soon hopefully! It was a good choice (to take non-degree grad courses) in my opinion so far. Got to do my first lit review, a research essay, facilitate an undergrad lecture, and am presenting at a conference (non-soc) next month, also learned A LOT I didn't know from great professors that I should have learned as an undergrad; all because I went this route. It also took the sting from rejection the first cycle away and renewed my drive to get into a program. I see ya got in to some places already, congrats!!!!!!!!

Very happy to be able to claim U. Oregon! My first acceptance, such a relief to know I'll be pursuing my phd somewhere in the fall, a nice thought indeed.

Congratulations to you, Oregon is a great school! Best of Luck in your graduate studies!

Thanks everyone. After seeing all the results go up and still have only heard from 3 of 9 the first acceptance is a bit of confidence boost.

Congrats! Given the number of schools you have on deck, you'll probably even pick up a few more options before all this is over ^_^

Awkwardly, I can claim one of the GWU acceptances. I'm a bit confused, as I had withdrawn my application. But for those on the waitlist for funding there, I will likely decline (although I intend to do a bit of research this weekend first.)

Best of luck to everyone else!!!

That's odd, but congrats nonetheless.

Am a bit disappointed about this one. Fully expected the rejections I've had thus far, but thought GWU was a strong fit.

why would you do a master's program over your acceptance at cornell?

Well, the idea is that doing a master's program is supposed to improve one's competitiveness and therefore lead to more success in reapplication. I am an international student applying straight from undergrad, so doing master's would give me an opportunity to get LORs from poli sci professors who actually publish in English, enroll in research methods courses, produce a better writing sample and possibly a more focused SOP.

Some of the programs that rejected me were a great fit with my interests, so I feel like I should try to get into them if I can.

I am afraid, however, that (seeing how random the process can be) I may not have better luck reapplying after master's. I think I am just very confused about the whole thing at the moment.

Well, the idea is that doing a master's program is supposed to improve one's competitiveness and therefore lead to more success in reapplication. I am an international student applying straight from undergrad, so doing master's would give me an opportunity to get LORs from poli sci professors who actually publish in English, enroll in research methods courses, produce a better writing sample and possibly a more focused SOP.

Some of the programs that rejected me were a great fit with my interests, so I feel like I should try to get into them if I can.

I am afraid, however, that (seeing how random the process can be) I may not have better luck reapplying after master's. I think I am just very confused about the whole thing at the moment.

Just remember, you received admissions to school that had over 400 applications! I'm not so sure an MA is going to better position you at the "top 10" unless there is a serious red flag in your application. I have an MA, and I needed one because my UG GPA was a 2.85 (a serious red flag!). Some may have better info, but it is very competitive and you may not get the "ultimate" dept yuo want...I think Balderdash may have something to say on this.

Congrats, Ironheel!, on the Oregon acceptance!

So, how's everyone feeling about where they're headed? Anyone else upset by the prospect of turning down a school that admitted you? It'd be one thing if I got to just reject all those that rejected me...but I'm not sure that's how it works...

Congrats, Ironheel!, on the Oregon acceptance!

So, how's everyone feeling about where they're headed? Anyone else upset by the prospect of turning down a school that admitted you? It'd be one thing if I got to just reject all those that rejected me...but I'm not sure that's how it works...

i'm feeling pretty torn up about having to turn down at least 2 more offers. i feel really good about all of the offers i have and know i'd really like attending any of them. i know there's not a "wrong" choice, but i'm sure i'll spend a lot of time paining over which one is the most right