PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone,

I too have been obsessed with this forum since finding it last week so thought I would add to the profiles. UGPA 3.9 from decent but probably not well known international university; GGPA 3.9 from top 10 MA programme in US - honors awarded for MA thesis. One year TA experience, grad research fellow, one publication, two years good work experience in international security field (directly after MA), LORs all from top ten school, writing sample is MA thesis. Problem = GRE is 1280 with AW 5.0.

Applied to:

Maryland

UVA

UT Austin

Rutgers

UCLA

UC Berkeley

McGill

Toronto

Princeton

Cornell

WUSTL

Georgetown

Ohio State

Also starting to panic but know there isn't much point.

Good luck everyone and congrats to those already admitted!

(oh - intapp ID isn't strictly accurate as have US citizenship...might be more important in CA than I had realised!).

ADMISSIONS PROCESS

I HAVE BEEN INFORMED THAT MY APPLICATION IS UNDER ACADEMIC REVIEW BY MY PROPOSED GRADUATE PROGRAM? WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

This means that the Graduate Admissions Office received your application, fee and transcripts and has notified your intended Graduate Studies Committee to begin the formal academic review process leading to a decision on your application. To check the status of your decision and to make sure that the program has received your letters of recommendation, personal statement and other required materials, please contact the graduate program to which you applied. When a decision is made on your application, you will receive a letter, or email. Prior to receiving a letter you may periodically check on your application status via our on-line service.

sounds the same as 'evaluation' to me.

The irony is I will be visiting my parents in Columbus, OH this weekend. I wish my dad, who is a prof there (math), knew somebody in the poli sci department who could peek into my application and give me a wink or a nod.

In case anyone is interested I spoke with the admissions office at UCLA today. Their website was reporting that one required document had not been received. They informed me that all documents had been received, and that the committee is presently reviewing files.

Nothing too suprising, but I just thought I would pass it along to the community.

For those who have applied to Washington University in St. Louis: On the application status page, it says "under review" instead of the "submitted". Just for your information.

I am going to assume that WUSTL has started is review process and will be contacting sometime in the near future.

I can confirm the business about Emory calling some folks in for interviews--they called me yesterday and asked me to visit sometime between Feb 19 and 21. I've had plenty of professional interviews and usually done pretty well, but I'm honestly not too sure what to expect from an academic interview like this. Any thoughts?

Well, it seems like WUSTL has started notifying applicants. Congrats to the one who accepted!

As for UVA, I know it sucks! I've been sitting in front of this computer all day just in case I get the e-mail. Perhaps it is time that I go out and buy myself a blackberry or iphone!

Spark25 -- I noticed that you applied to the Univ. of Virginia. What is your planned area of study?

Heavily IR-Security Studies. I might be a little bit different from most other applicants as I am in my 3rd year of the PhD program, re-applying due to structural issues in the department (as in faculty leaving). Why do you ask?

Heavily IR-Security Studies. I might be a little bit different from most other applicants as I am in my 3rd year of the PhD program, re-applying due to structural issues in the department (as in faculty leaving). Why do you ask?

I applied to UVA as well; just interested to know why you thought UVA was a good fit for you. I plan to study public law/judicial politics; seems that UVA is stronger in the American Politics field, but who knows.....

I applied to UVA as well; just interested to know why you thought UVA was a good fit for you. I plan to study public law/judicial politics; seems that UVA is stronger in the American Politics field, but who knows.....

Dale Copeland (and to a certain extent Jeffrey Legro) was the person I had in mind. It really is rare to find qualitative/security people within the academia. I do understand that UVA is stronger in other sub-fields. Hedging my bets a bit I suppose. Good luck to you and keep this thread informed in case you hear back from UVA!!